My Crazy Tabata Experiment!

[quote]rsg wrote:
Tabatas 3x a week? Good luck with that - the first time I did Tabata’s I couldn’t walk for a week.[/quote]

I’ve gotten pretty accustomed to them and I think that I can handle it.

[quote]jit07 wrote:
rsg wrote:
Tabatas 3x a week? Good luck with that - the first time I did Tabata’s I couldn’t walk for a week.

I’ve gotten pretty accustomed to them and I think that I can handle it.[/quote]

Well then keep us posted on how it goes.

[quote]jit07 wrote:
rsg wrote:
Tabatas 3x a week? Good luck with that - the first time I did Tabata’s I couldn’t walk for a week.

I’ve gotten pretty accustomed to them and I think that I can handle it.[/quote]

If you’re accustomed to doing Tabatas, don’t you think, maybe you should up the intensity of them, either by doing them faster, or adding weight/resistance?

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
If you’re accustomed to doing Tabatas, don’t you think, maybe you should up the intensity of them, either by doing them faster, or adding weight/resistance?
[/quote]

Sounds to me like he’s doing low-intensity intevals and calling them tabatas.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Shadowzz4 wrote:
The initial idea behind the Tabata protocol, I believe, was to see if you could make similar improvements to your cardiovascular system when doing a short but very intense workout, and when doing a typical “cardio” workout. I dont believe they are intended for caloric expenditure since the original protocol was to do the exercise of choice only for 4 minutes. The protocol was done on a bike and a variety of other methods can be used, but now your doing intervals, that was my point.

Yea, but those 4 minutes had me breathing heavy, with an elevated heart rate for over 15 more minutes. I remember trying Tabada with thrusters, and posted about my experience right after doing it. I could barely type.[/quote]

of the craziest diets i’ve done (from the school of ‘hardcore’) the tuna and water diet was nauseating but bearable (did that for 1.5 weeks), and the velocity diet was easy but ridiculous (barely lasted a week). i mean, walking past the uni cafe had me salivating so badly that i had to run away!

i’m not a self-proclaimed wuss, but i will admit that after doing tabata once (8 sets of thrusters), i was unable to do too much for that week afterwards. this was when i was in decent shape too.

like i said man, if u can do this… u’re something. we’ll appreciate the stats/weights/blah blahs for props. and just for the heck of it, i’ll start velocity this coming monday. =)

Good luck. I’m not sure why you’re doing the V-diet w/ that many tabatas though, seems like doing one or the other would do you better without buring out. But good luck, I’d like to see how you do. Keep us posted.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:

Sounds to me like he’s doing low-intensity intevals and calling them tabatas.[/quote]

I do them pretty intensly. I make sure to achieve a certain number of reps per bout. With twenty five pound dumbbells I get between 12-15 reps during the first three or four sets then due to fatigue the reps get lower, but I still get atleast 8 reps per bout during the end using the twenty five pounders.

[quote]animal x wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
Shadowzz4 wrote:
The initial idea behind the Tabata protocol, I believe, was to see if you could make similar improvements to your cardiovascular system when doing a short but very intense workout, and when doing a typical “cardio” workout. I dont believe they are intended for caloric expenditure since the original protocol was to do the exercise of choice only for 4 minutes. The protocol was done on a bike and a variety of other methods can be used, but now your doing intervals, that was my point.

Yea, but those 4 minutes had me breathing heavy, with an elevated heart rate for over 15 more minutes. I remember trying Tabada with thrusters, and posted about my experience right after doing it. I could barely type.

of the craziest diets i’ve done (from the school of ‘hardcore’) the tuna and water diet was nauseating but bearable (did that for 1.5 weeks), and the velocity diet was easy but ridiculous (barely lasted a week). i mean, walking past the uni cafe had me salivating so badly that i had to run away!

i’m not a self-proclaimed wuss, but i will admit that after doing tabata once (8 sets of thrusters), i was unable to do too much for that week afterwards. this was when i was in decent shape too.

like i said man, if u can do this… u’re something. we’ll appreciate the stats/weights/blah blahs for props. and just for the heck of it, i’ll start velocity this coming monday. =)[/quote]

Thanks for the support. I will make sure to keep you posted. Good luck with the diet!

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
Good luck. I’m not sure why you’re doing the V-diet w/ that many tabatas though, seems like doing one or the other would do you better without buring out. But good luck, I’d like to see how you do. Keep us posted.

[/quote]

Thanks. This is an experiment, and I’m curious myself as to see what will happen. It’s also a challenge to test my will.

[quote]jit07 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:

I do them pretty intensly. I make sure to achieve a certain number of reps per bout. With twenty five pound dumbbells I get between 12-15 reps during the first three or four sets then due to fatigue the reps get lower, but I still get atleast 8 reps per bout during the end using the twenty five pounders.[/quote]

Try 30 pounders.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
jit07 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:

I do them pretty intensly. I make sure to achieve a certain number of reps per bout. With twenty five pound dumbbells I get between 12-15 reps during the first three or four sets then due to fatigue the reps get lower, but I still get atleast 8 reps per bout during the end using the twenty five pounders.

Try 30 pounders.[/quote]

sounds good. I was thinking that it was about time that I bump up the weigtht.

Well I just finished my tabata workout. Went pretty well. Had me breathing hard for about 15 minutes afterwards. I took a cold shower and feel a lot better. I’m starting to feel the velocity diet take effect. My mind is starting to get a little foggy.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:

Sounds to me like he’s doing low-intensity intevals and calling them tabatas.[/quote]

I agree.

[quote]jit07 wrote:
Well I just finished my tabata workout. Went pretty well. Had me breathing hard for about 15 minutes afterwards. I took a cold shower and feel a lot better. I’m starting to feel the velocity diet take effect. My mind is starting to get a little foggy. [/quote]

You are crazy and good luck.

I love reading about people trying this kind of stuff.

Izumi Tabata’s original experiment was done using a stationary exercise bike.
You will have to adjust the tension on the bike before hand, to allow for 100-120 rpm (pedals) when you go full out for the work segment. Over 120 rpm your feet tend to seperate from your legs and you’re just pedalling air.

Begin with 4 minutes of cycling at 50% of your max. or 50-60 rpm.
20 sec. of balls to the wall pedalling
followed by 10 sec. of 50% “coasting”.
Repeat this 8 times. Finish with 4 minutes at 50%. This is the method Tabata actually used but it can be adapted to amny different exercises.

First time I did a Tabata I couldn’t keyboard for 2 days. Hands wouldn’t stop shaking. You sure you did it right???

TNT

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
You will have to adjust the tension on the bike before hand, to allow for 100-120 rpm (pedals) when you go full out for the work segment. Over 120 rpm your feet tend to seperate from your legs and you’re just pedalling air.

Repeat this 8 times. Finish with 4 minutes at 50%. This is the method Tabata actually used but it can be adapted to amny different exercises.

First time I did a Tabata I couldn’t keyboard for 2 days. Hands wouldn’t stop shaking. You sure you did it right???

TNT [/quote]

Yeah I did it right. I’ve been using the tabata method on and off since Dan John released his article about it. I think on wednesday I will do the tabata method using burpees.

[quote]jit07 wrote:
TNT-CDN wrote:

TNT

Yeah I did it right. I’ve been using the tabata method on and off since Dan John released his article about it. I think on wednesday I will do the tabata method using burpees. [/quote]

Burpees are a bodyweight exercise. Why not do clean and press with a small 30 lb. sandbag. That’s what our high school and university FEMALE rowers use. The male rowers use a 40 lb. sandbag. The standard we use is, if the total reps exceeds 80, then the weight was too light. If the total reps are less than 40, then it was too heavy.

Be careful. Don’t hit yourself in the chin with the sandbag. The sandbag usually wins.

TNT

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:

TNT [/quote]

I definately have questions about using much weight for tabatas. I have always been under the impression you are attempting to get as many reps as possible during the 20 seconds. This is why pushups, bodyweight squats, and sprinting are ideal, you can get between 25-30 reps each 20 seconds.

Using a weight where you are only getting 10 reps because you’ve reached muscle failure before you are cardiovascularly expended seems to me not meeting the purpose of tabatas and is more like a vince gironda 8x8 system.

This is not to say I have not added weight for tabatas, but that when I did I still reached 25-30 reps as close to the full 8 rounds as possible.

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
jit07 wrote:
TNT-CDN wrote:

TNT

Yeah I did it right. I’ve been using the tabata method on and off since Dan John released his article about it. I think on wednesday I will do the tabata method using burpees.

Burpees are a bodyweight exercise. Why not do clean and press with a small 30 lb. sandbag. That’s what our high school and university FEMALE rowers use. The male rowers use a 40 lb. sandbag. The standard we use is, if the total reps exceeds 80, then the weight was too light. If the total reps are less than 40, then it was too heavy.

Be careful. Don’t hit yourself in the chin with the sandbag. The sandbag usually wins.

TNT

[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I’ll have to try clean and pressing with a sandbag. I may also mix in clean and press with a barbell.

I am not too sore from yesterdays tabata thrusters. I am about to head off to the gym to sprint and lift. I am feeling a little queazy from just drinking protein shakes though. So far so good!