T Nation

My Crazy Tabata Experiment!

Here goes, I recently read a thread about the Tabata method and decided to design a little experiment.

I will perform three days of tabata method per week and two days of sprints per week while on the velocity diet. I will do tabata on mon, wed, and friday. Sprints will be on tues, thurs. I will do this for two weeks. I will probably do some low volume lifting too, on sprint days.

I know some of you guys will think this is suicide, but I have a pretty good recovery capacity and have quite a bit of fat to lose.

I’m posting this so I won’t cop-out and quit half-way through.

I’m currently 74 inches tall and weigh 305 lbs, with a pretty high bodyfat percentage. I gained quite a bit of fat over the last three months due to a pretty bad ankle sprain that prohibited me from walking for about a month.

I will keep you guys posted on any updates.

I will be running on an indoor track about 200 meters long. I will sprint the straight aways and walk the curves. Hopefully I’ll be able to sprint at a high speed due to my ankle, but I feel it’s at about 90% capacity. My lifting will be overhead squats, front squats, full back squats, standing military and rows. All done for three or four sets. Twice a week.

The over/under on this has been set by Sam “Ace” Rothstein at the Tangiers Casino.

over/under is 5 Tabata sessions in two weeks before you either quit or die.

Have you done the V Diet before?

[quote]jit07 wrote:
My lifting will be overhead squats, front squats, full back squats, standing military and rows. All done for three or four sets. Twice a week.[/quote]

Is this the low volume lifting or the lifts for the tabatas? Tabatas are 8 sets of an exercise.

Tabata, sprints, and the Velocity Diet don’t mix. Don’t get me wrong, on their own they’re all great to help decrease your fat mass, but when you combine them you’re bound to lose excess muscle. The hypocaloric state you’ll be in from the V-diet will take care of the fat loss you’re looking for.

Tabatas 3x a week? Good luck with that - the first time I did Tabata’s I couldn’t walk for a week.

not to prick your bubble of insanity bro, but if u make it past the 2nd week mark, u’ll have earned the respect of all the FFBs on this forum. :slight_smile:

Tabata’s are done on a bike. Any other way and they are much different. I think this is what he means… And exercise that intense does not work well with a diet as restrictive as the velocity diet…, but just the same, do the experiment I am very curious to see how you do!

Tabatas don’t have to be done on a bike. You can use ANY exercise for them. Such as:

Thrusters
Front Squats
Burpees
Bodyweight Squats
Sprints
Push-ups
Elliptical machine
Stair stepper

In fact, for this experiment, I would recommend that the OP uses a different exercise each time he performs a tabata workout.

You mean Tabata isn’t some form of tantric sex?

What the hell was I doing last night?

[quote]kroby wrote:
You mean Tabata isn’t some form of tantric sex?

What the hell was I doing last night?[/quote]

20 seconds of horizontal thrusts and 10 seconds of rest is the proper protocol.

If you think you can do it, try it.

(I’ll take the under)

[quote]Danny John wrote:
Have you done the V Diet before?[/quote]

yes, about six months ago. I lost about twenty pounds.

[quote]uberswank wrote:
jit07 wrote:
My lifting will be overhead squats, front squats, full back squats, standing military and rows. All done for three or four sets. Twice a week.

Is this the low volume lifting or the lifts for the tabatas? Tabatas are 8 sets of an exercise. [/quote]

I will be doing thrusters for tabata. The squats are just to maintain strength.

[quote]animal x wrote:
not to prick your bubble of insanity bro, but if u make it past the 2nd week mark, u’ll have earned the respect of all the FFBs on this forum. :)[/quote]

Thanks. It’s a personal challenge. I’m trying to test my will power.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
Tabata’s are done on a bike. Any other way and they are much different. I think this is what he means… And exercise that intense does not work well with a diet as restrictive as the velocity diet…, but just the same, do the experiment I am very curious to see how you do![/quote]

Thanks. I will make sure to update. I’m going to start my experiment on Monday.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Tabatas don’t have to be done on a bike. You can use ANY exercise for them. Such as:

Thrusters
Front Squats
Burpees
Bodyweight Squats
Sprints
Push-ups
Elliptical machine
Stair stepper

In fact, for this experiment, I would recommend that the OP uses a different exercise each time he performs a tabata workout.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I’ll make sure to mix it up. I was originally going to do a light session using ten pound dumbbells, but emphasizing speed getting about 15 reps a bout. then a medium session using 15 pound dumbbells getting twelve a bout. And finally using twenty five pounders getting nine reps a bout.

The initial idea behind the Tabata protocol, I believe, was to see if you could make similar improvements to your cardiovascular system when doing a short but very intense workout, and when doing a typical “cardio” workout. I dont believe they are intended for caloric expenditure since the original protocol was to do the exercise of choice only for 4 minutes. The protocol was done on a bike and a variety of other methods can be used, but now your doing intervals, that was my point.

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
The initial idea behind the Tabata protocol, I believe, was to see if you could make similar improvements to your cardiovascular system when doing a short but very intense workout, and when doing a typical “cardio” workout. I dont believe they are intended for caloric expenditure since the original protocol was to do the exercise of choice only for 4 minutes. The protocol was done on a bike and a variety of other methods can be used, but now your doing intervals, that was my point.[/quote]

Yea, but those 4 minutes had me breathing heavy, with an elevated heart rate for over 15 more minutes. I remember trying Tabada with thrusters, and posted about my experience right after doing it. I could barely type.