T Nation

My Climb to 1200 Total - PL Prog Vids

365x7 at 172lbs

Very nice…why do you wait so long in between reps?

Those are some strong squats, but a few things I noted are…

1. You’ll want to set the bar hooks on the rack a setting lower. Whether you’re unracking from a rack or a mono, you don’t want to have to shoulder it up to get it out of the hooks.

2. Your knees are coming in a lot. I understand that with heavier weight form tends to degrade, but on a 7RM set, your first rep or two at least should be pretty spot on. Do you do any mobility work? I think if you could push your knees out better, you’d stay a bit more upright and would allow you to get your hips a little closer to the bar.

3. What’s with the thrusting of the hips forward right before you begin each rep? Is it just a habit you picked up somewhere along the line? That’s all I can think of, unless you’re just in a better position to get big air before you begin each rep, but I’d still try to drop it.

Don’t get me wrong, man, those are some awesome squats, but if you work on perfecting your squat, you’ll only get stronger.

^ no.1: set it up so the bar is about nipple height

strong !!! what is your current max? just curious

Very strong, nice work.

I agree with pretty much all of what rrjc said. I would consider maybe moving your stance in a couple inches each foot. It looks to me like if you were just a little bit closer with your stance, it would be easier for you to keep your knees over your feet, instead of letting them swoop in a bit on each rep, AND it might be easier for you to reach depth. Obviously mobility work is important too, but the closer stance might be a quicker fix, and personally I prefer squats that are a little bit closer stance than yours. But that’s an opinion issue i suppose haha.

Either way, definitely a strong set, nice work. Keep at it.

I’m sure you’re good for at least another 3 reps without that awful music

Thank you for the feedback
sorry for the delay on the response’s was waiting on new computer

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Very nice…why do you wait so long in between reps?[/quote]

I prefer slow controlled reps when do heavy weight, I keep my speed reps below 75%

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Those are some strong squats, but a few things I noted are…

1. You’ll want to set the bar hooks on the rack a setting lower. Whether you’re unracking from a rack or a mono, you don’t want to have to shoulder it up to get it out of the hooks.

2. Your knees are coming in a lot. I understand that with heavier weight form tends to degrade, but on a 7RM set, your first rep or two at least should be pretty spot on. Do you do any mobility work? I think if you could push your knees out better, you’d stay a bit more upright and would allow you to get your hips a little closer to the bar.

3. What’s with the thrusting of the hips forward right before you begin each rep? Is it just a habit you picked up somewhere along the line? That’s all I can think of, unless you’re just in a better position to get big air before you begin each rep, but I’d still try to drop it.

Don’t get me wrong, man, those are some awesome squats, but if you work on perfecting your squat, you’ll only get stronger.[/quote]

Thank you I appreciate the feedback!

1. I have been playing with the idea, when I use any weight 80% an lower I feel a lot more comfortable at this height, but above 80% its a strain to get above the hooks.

2. I’ve noticed this as well when watching my recorded sets, its something I’ve been working on.

3. Im not to sure where I picked this ugly habit up at, also something I’m trying to get rid of, I think I used it when was first starting to to remind myself to have my hips move before bending at my knees.

Appreciate all the advice! now that I have the new computer I will be adding more frequently

[quote]Mr.Jeannay wrote:
strong !!! what is your current max? just curious[/quote]

Thank you appreciate the feedback !
Ive been using 531 for just under a year, Ive only ever attempted 415, hit it with good speed. I will post a vid soon

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

385lb x 5 (175kg x 5) at 172 lbs

Good job!
To keep your knees from coming in, maybe try pointing your toes out a little more. That might help, but you’re doing good regardless. Thanks for the video!

DL 425 x 2.5 …

[quote]dj20 wrote:
Good job!
To keep your knees from coming in, maybe try pointing your toes out a little more. That might help, but you’re doing good regardless. Thanks for the video![/quote]

Thanks!

I’ve been playing with feet position during my speed reps, trying to find a position that works.

Bench 250x3 paused reps

Squat 410x1

After watching vid, I wish I did another rep or two

Bench - 235x6 paused reps

Pretty solid dude - keep it up man.

“2. Your knees are coming in a lot. I understand that with heavier weight form tends to degrade, but on a 7RM set, your first rep or two at least should be pretty spot on. Do you do any mobility work? I think if you could push your knees out better, you’d stay a bit more upright and would allow you to get your hips a little closer to the bar.”

Examples of good mobility work? I could probably use this myself…