My Cholesterol Is Too Low, Help

Ok well lfirst of all, I am female, 23 years old. I just got my bloodwork back from my doctor and my cholesterol is extremely LOW. The total is like 30-something.

I was really surprised because I eat beef every day, as well as two whole eggs everyday, and salmon and walnuts as well. So I am not low-fat, nor low-cholesterol. I also take at least 7 fish oils caps (nordic naturals- high epa/dha).

So what the heck do I do to raise it? I have heard it is associated with anxiety and depression, (which I feel I suffer from).

I am currently trying to put on weight so I am in a caloric surplus already… what should I be doing to remedy this cholesterol “problem”? And please don’t tell me to go eat a bunch of fast food or big macs because I care too much about my health and physique to do something stupid like that.

In all honesty, isn’t this a question for your physician? It would seem to me that you must have another problem that is affecting your cholesterol levels; in other words, I do not think your problem, if there is one, lies with any dietary adjustments. It sounds like you eat a normal, healthy, clean diet. The problem, again if there is one, must be physiological - and that is something for your physicians to address - not a forum on the internet :slight_smile:

Good luck. I love beef eating women (as long as they are height weight appropriate of course).

My physician was a little puzzled as well. He didn’t really have any advice, just told me to keep eating my eggs and beef. He was concerned though with the numbers, but offered no practical suggestions. It just re-affirms that most doctors are idiots when it comes to anything dietary.

Has anyone else experienced this before?

I internet searched and found this article
www.westonaprice.org/askdoctor/lowcholesterol.html
you may find it helpful.

Key points to take away:

1. Low cholesterol is more likely an effect of some greater disease within your body than it is to be the cause of some disease (according to the doctors anecdotal evidence- now remember, I found this on the internet).

2. The recommended way to deal with it is ‘a traditional high fat diet’.

I recommend the Anabolic Diet.

Either that or eat more fat. Lots more. Because the normal range for cholesterol is 150-250. Anxiety/depression kicks in around 160 (all this from the article). So there is seriously something wrong if your level is 30.

Honestly, the best way to determine if your diet is the culprit or not is to go out and get your hands on a big greasy fast food burger, 3 nights a week for two weeks and get tested again. If it’s STILL not higher (temporary rises can be seen in a few days on super fatty diets) you’ve got problems.

30 is your total?

how about the HDL/LDL levels?

Were your ratios still healthy? (I guess I am piggybacking oh Jehovahs post)

man I would be eating tons of eggs. I love those suckers. But then Cthulu would tell me they aren’t cholesterol culprits.

Are you eating a lot of fiber? I have read you shouldn’t take your fiber supplement close to when you are taking vitamins or essential foods as it can bind nutrients and derail absorption.

There are people every day that have heart attacks that are with in the “normal” cholesteral range. Low total cholesterol is a good thing. As long as your HDL isn’t too low then you are fine.

[quote]rondastarr wrote:
There are people every day that have heart attacks that are with in the “normal” cholesteral range. Low total cholesterol is a good thing. As long as your HDL isn’t too low then you are fine.[/quote]

But if the total is 30, HDL is too low. My HDL is ~50.

The HDL is 18. so too low as well.

This is really a question for a health care professional. Go talk to your doc again or a registered dietitian.

High fiber intake traps bile in small intestine and pulls it out of the body. Bile, an emulsifier for fats, is made out of cholesterol by the liver and stored in the gall bladder. When bacterial digest soluble fiber they release a gas which effects the liver and causes it to make less cholesterol. These are the two primary mechanisms that expensive cholesterol lowering drugs utilize.

Your body usually keeps a normal cholesterol level since your liver makes cholesterol. Usually the more you eat, the less your body makes, and the less you eat the more your body is forced to make.

There is only cholesterol in foods of animal origin; there is no cholesterol in plant based foods. But there are plant sterols, which is a completely different issue and not related to your cholesterol levels.

The best advice I can give, is check your fiber intake and go get tested when you go see your NEW doctor. This is really a question for a registered dietitian or a doctor.

I train a couple of doctors (heart surgeon and endocrinologist) . I’ll get their take on your low levels and I’ll mention the HDL 18.

I train them this sunday so I’ll report back

wow, thanks so much! Would you ask them about what sort of diet I should follow?

[quote]skinnymuscles wrote:
wow, thanks so much! Would you ask them about what sort of diet I should follow?[/quote]

to be honest, I doubt they’ll have too much insight on that part, and most doctors for that matter IMO.

believe it or not, doctors do not have much formal education in the areas of exercise and nutrition.

Hi. This is just something for you to consider, but could you be suffering from an overactive thyroid? You name suggests you are pretty skinny - do you have a very high metabolism? If so, this ‘could’ be connected.

you got a PM OP :slight_smile:

[quote]skinnymuscles wrote:
Ok well lfirst of all, I am female, 23 years old. I just got my bloodwork back from my doctor and my cholesterol is extremely LOW. The total is like 30-something.

I was really surprised because I eat beef every day, as well as two whole eggs everyday, and salmon and walnuts as well. So I am not low-fat, nor low-cholesterol. I also take at least 7 fish oils caps (nordic naturals- high epa/dha).

So what the heck do I do to raise it? I have heard it is associated with anxiety and depression, (which I feel I suffer from).

I am currently trying to put on weight so I am in a caloric surplus already… what should I be doing to remedy this cholesterol “problem”? And please don’t tell me to go eat a bunch of fast food or big macs because I care too much about my health and physique to do something stupid like that.[/quote]

I was looking for cholesterol threads and I found yours intriguing. After all this time how are you doing and what are your cholesterol levels? Did everything was OK or you have a disease?

Best Regards

Uh… I can loan you some. Mine was 361 total the first time I got it checked at 23 years old. My LDL was 296. Damn my father.

Skinnymuscles, I have the same problem. If your cholesterol is too low that tells me that your hormones are low. New Beginnings, a supplement company that is pharmaceutical grade, offers a product called Sonic Cholesterol. Works well to help raise your cholesterol.

My M.D., who is an integrative doctor, also helped to treat my adrenals with pregnenolone. P.m. me if you have more questions. I would stay away from traditional docs and R.D.s as some suggested. This will only further your problem.