T Nation

My Chi Powers Demonstrated...

yeah, this is me doing the old “chopstick versus throat” snapperoo…

theres nothing phony about this, it goes into the soft bit of my throat, i clench it up and it becomes harder, then i break the chopstick.

I can also break one by slowly forcing it into the throat with increasing pressure.

I’ve also done it with the pointy end of the chopstick going into the throat.

Why have I done this? Because I’m a skeptic. I need to do shit like this.

And also to show you how wonderfully flabby i am now.

chi or not chi , how the fuck do you do this shit??

can it help me to move a shitload of weight???

[quote]emonkeh wrote:
chi or not chi , how the fuck do you do this shit??

can it help me to move a shitload of weight???[/quote]

literally dude, you just do it.

no, it will not help you move a shitload of weight.

Almost every muscle in the body can be trained. If you experiment a bit you’ll find that you can make it a bit harder then it usually is.

Just train :wink:

I have actually never trained my neck muscles in any way before, other than what would have occurred by proxy from moving heavy weights…

The trick is not as awesome as it seems once youve done it a few times… It took me about 15 minutes this morning of mucking around tensing my throat and pushing the chopstick in the until i got the confidence to start snapping them.

I’m sure if i trained for 6 months doing stuff i could start snapping larger objects. The neck contains a lot of muscles and if they are properly tensed and prepared can probably take quite a beating.

However, I think I’ll just stick with big compound lifts. I’ve broken quite a lot of chopsticks on there today and my throat is a bit red and probably gonna be a bit sore tomorrow.

If I attempted this I’d end up with a tracheotomy.

Well done ? Seriously though, thats a umm… unique talent.

I’ll be honest with you, I’m still a little skeptical. It looks like you’re breaking the stick on your clavicle, not on soft tissue.

[quote]jarvis wrote:
I’ll be honest with you, I’m still a little skeptical. It looks like you’re breaking the stick on your clavicle, not on soft tissue.

[/quote]

Jarvis,

I appreciate your skepticism, here is a new video that should convince you.

The audio is kindof slightly out of sync, thats cos when i convert from 3gp format to mp4 it loses some joyness…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axT2sJRp_pc

Also, the chopstick snap wasnt as speccy as some others, this one only broke in half, normally you get a 3-piece snap, and i once got a 5 piece snap.

OK, that’s pretty fucking crazy.

I played it in slow-mo to see if you’d just dropped the chopstick. Then I realised that it couldn’t have left the frame that quickly with gravity alone.

Now the question remains, why? What made you decide to break a chopstick on your neck in the first place? Did you practice with other objects first? how come you have so many chopsticks lying around anyway?

[quote]jarvis wrote:
OK, that’s pretty fucking crazy.

I played it in slow-mo to see if you’d just dropped the chopstick. Then I realised that it couldn’t have left the frame that quickly with gravity alone.

Now the question remains, why? What made you decide to break a chopstick on your neck in the first place? Did you practice with other objects first? how come you have so many chopsticks lying around anyway?

[/quote]

I saw somebody do it recently and he claimed it was Chi. I’m not a believer really in such thing, as someone who lifts weights i know that my mood can only affect lifts by 10% or so at best.

As Dave Tate puts it sortof - when you get under a heavy bench, reality smacks you in the face.

This morning I brought a pack of 20 chopsticks… poked around in my throat a bit, tensed the muscle, pushed harder…

I managed to push one in so hard it bent and snapped… after that i started belting them and stuff… even with the pointy end (which isnt that pointy on these chopsticks).

Anyway, I’ve broken like 15 of them on my neck today and it hurts a bit… but its all good.

I honestly think that pretty much anyone can do this, its not that hard, it just takes balls.

Latest update, 3 chopsticks… theres some more vids under my username of garden stake and a few others things…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kA6vwMPO70

Does anybody know what the record is?

is there nothing better to do in Oz?

Nope.

[quote]perseng wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TVkCcKpcfs

yeah, this is me doing the old “chopstick versus throat” snapperoo…

theres nothing phony about this, it goes into the soft bit of my throat, i clench it up and it becomes harder, then i break the chopstick.

I can also break one by slowly forcing it into the throat with increasing pressure.

I’ve also done it with the pointy end of the chopstick going into the throat.

Why have I done this? Because I’m a skeptic. I need to do shit like this.

And also to show you how wonderfully flabby i am now.
[/quote]

Want to show how full of Chi you are, try it against your eyeball…

When my martial arts school puts on a demo every year, dropping a sharp knife point down on my Masters belly is a crowd favorite, PS- it bounces right off.

I’ve also seen crazy little chinese men do this same ‘chop stick trick’ with full on sharp spears, with solid wood shafts, bend them, then snap them, with their neck. Honestly, its mind over matter. Doesn’t make it less impressive.