T Nation

My Chest Needs Your Help!

I need the T-Nation fourm members to give me some pointers about how to bring up my lagging chest. I am 5’9, 165lbs @ 17%bf and have been working out for about 2 years; I bench a measly 170 1RM.

Any ideas, or even a program would be cool too. Thx guys

Well get stronger for one, keep working hard. But what have you been doing thatll help in giving some direction

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Well get stronger for one, keep working hard. But what have you been doing thatll help in giving some direction

Phill[/quote]

I pair chest and back together,

3 sets incline bb 6-8reps
3 set flat dumbbell 10-12reps
3 incline smith press 12-15reps

I use various intensity tpsechniques; mostly forced reps, drops, superset with push ups etc.

drop the smith machine, use freeweights. Also eat more.

[quote]glenmowen wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

I use various intensity tpsechniques; mostly forced reps, drops, superset with push ups etc.[/quote]

1. Increase the frequency of chest work in a week

2. Vary your set/rep scheme every 4 weeks to see continued gains.

[quote]glenmowen wrote:
I need the T-Nation fourm members to give me some pointers about how to bring up my lagging chest. I am 5’9, 165lbs @ 17%bf and have been working out for about 2 years; I bench a measly 170 1RM.

Any ideas, or even a program would be cool too. Thx guys[/quote]

If you are 5’9’ 165 and genuinely 17% body fat, I have to wonder what you’ve been doing for the past two years.

Find a good routine on this site that incorporates lots of chest work, find a good diet that fits your goals and go.

At your height/wt/bf everything has got to be small, not just your chest.

[quote]glenmowen wrote:
Phill wrote:

Phill

I use various intensity tpsechniques; mostly forced reps, drops, superset with push ups etc.[/quote]

Good lord that’s a horrible program! And if you pair chest and back, where’s the back?

This is better.

Inc DB pr 2 sets of 5
Seated Row 2 sets of 5
DB Pr 2 sets of 8
Bent Row 2 sets of 8
Cable X-Over 2 sets of 8. 1 set of 12+.
DB Bent Over Reverse Fly 2 sets of 10+
Face Pulls 2 sets of 12+

Superset them all to save time.

Of course, if you’re using little intensity then not much of anything will work, but using super-intensity techniques willy-nilly is about the worst thing you can do week in week out.

Record your efforts. Beat them every session. This is progress.

squats and milk.

What kind of weight are your triceps pushing? I found that my triceps were holding back my chest progress at one point. The recommendation was to put a concentrated effort on my triceps and it worked out well. (this may not be an issue with you but I figure it is worth a post for someone else that may fit the scenario.)

It’s a simple 2 step process I’ll outline below, but prior advice regarding eating more and training intensity can not be ignored; if you’re not supplementing with protein shakes, eating like a horse and shitting at least twice a day you’re not going to grow.

1. Work arms together supersetting but always beginning with biceps. It seems contradictory…why biceps first?

You wear down the antagonist prior to hitting your target muscle…it is a minor detail but it helps believe me; also once you achieve the pump of doing arms together you will gain a psychological edge because there is no better feeling.

1. Always begin your tricep workout with DIPS period. Focus on increasing your reps and achieving goals of adding weight. (I went from 10 rep max 10 years ago to 10-14 rep max now with 90lbs on the belt.)

Slowly over time, maybe the same 10 years (and I continue to follow this) I’ve increased from 255lb 1rm to 300+.

Keep in mind everybody’s body is different but this was my magic formula…good luck.

How does your form look on your bench? Elbows tucked or flared? Good leg drive? Good arch? Solid based? Scapula pulled back?

Do some research on the site and make sure your form is down before progressing on anything else.

From there, as somebody else already stated, at 5’9 165lbs with 17% bf, you are lacking overall muscle. Making total body changes will improve drastically more than just concentrating on your chest. It will take swallowing some pride and not working those “beach muscles” that everybody enjoys working over the summer, but in the long run it will be most beneficial.

But again, check your form on bench. But also, check your diet and overall workout plan to make some overall body changes.

Best of luck with your progress.

-LH

thx for the help guys.
im not so much worries about diet, as over the past 3 months ive managed to keep a more solid one (I go by JB’s massive eating).

Ill implicate what you guys have said and get back to ya. thx much!

-glen

Are you trying to get mass and definition in your chest or just trying to get your bench up?

You could be more triceps and shoulder dominant. When working pecs, make sure your shoulders are back, stick your chest out, and arch your back. If you aren’t you’ll be working out your front delts more. I see a lot of pecless guys who press wrong.

Concentrate and try to feel your pecs working. Try not locking out (not every work out). The top of the movement involves more triceps and takes the load off the pecs. Leave your ego at home. Practice using lighter weight until you get the form down then add weight. Vary your routine and find what works best for you.

Concentrate on your strength, not your chest. Improve the weights you are using and the chest will get bigger. Look into some westside/westside for skinny bastard style of training for a while. Tricep work is a must. Also, a volume style training like EDT, GVT,… might work well. Good Luck!

How bout getting bigger everywhere… by quite a bit, before worrying about what may or may not be lagging which you really have no way of knowing at this point

[quote]Hagar wrote:
You could be more triceps and shoulder dominant. When working pecs, make sure your shoulders are back, stick your chest out, and arch your back. If you aren’t you’ll be working out your front delts more. I see a lot of pecless guys who press wrong.

Concentrate and try to feel your pecs working. Try not locking out (not every work out). The top of the movement involves more triceps and takes the load off the pecs. Leave your ego at home. Practice using lighter weight until you get the form down then add weight. Vary your routine and find what works best for you.
[/quote]

Sound advice ^^^…you really need to know your body; if the above were the case with you then the first step would be to recognize it, this will be important with every muscle movement. Once you focus on knowing your body you have a better chance of understanding how it will react to different stimuli.