My Chest Exercise.

Ok I call this “My Chest Exercise” only because I’ve not seen it before, so forgive me if it has already been established.

These are one arm cable flyes lying on one’s side on a bench. I figured if these are performed correctly they would acheive a greater ROM and greater maximal contraction in the pectorals than any other pectoral isolation exercise. Furthermore I think they would allow for better isolation of the pecs without as much contribution from the deltoids.

Also the path of movement need not be linear and resistance could be found through a number of different arcs, allowing one to put greater emphasis on target areas.

This is at the end of the flye.

(Right click on images and select view image.)

This exercise would also be demanding on the core and ‘inactive arm’ which is actually quite actively keeping your torso flat against the bench.

Look at the biomechanics of dumbell flyes. Due to the way the force is accumulated in the pectorals closer to the humerous they create a lot of stress in the those muscle fibers and thus result in strong incentive for hypertrophy to occur there.

These flyes allow for the humerous to get pulled by the pectoral across the torso and thus allow for strong contraction in the pectoral fibers closer to the sternum.

Therfore, I believe that this exercise would not only build the chest better than normal flyes due to higher ROM, but I think they would also strongly encourage growth of the ‘inner pec’.

[quote]Sepukku wrote:
I think they would also strongly encourage growth of the ‘inner pec’.[/quote]

There are people out there who don’t believe in inner and outer pecs. I’m just warning you so you can be prepared.

Yeah I know, I’ve looked at that thread, that’s why I put it in inverted commas. I am merely describing the portion of the pectorals closest to the sternum.

However, regardless of what you think or don’t think of ‘inner pecs’, what do you think of my exercise?

Thanks

You could also do that standing up if you are able to adjust the position of the top pulley (directly across from your shoulder), and bring one all the way over to the other side of the machine and hold on to the other end.

It just looks like it would be difficult to get the pulley 90 degrees to your body while laying down because your head might be hitting the post of the machine.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
You could also do that standing up if you are able to adjust the position of the top pulley (directly across from your shoulder), and bring one all the way over to the other side of the machine and hold on to the other end.
[/quote]

Yeah you definitely could do it standing if you have an adjustable pulley, it would also be hard work for the core to stabilise and counter-rotate.

[quote]
It just looks like it would be difficult to get the pulley 90 degrees to your body while laying down because your head might be hitting the post of the machine.[/quote]

Maybe my diagrams don’t explain it well, but your body and the bench should be perpendicular to the machine and you should be facing away from it. If positioned like that I don’t think you would have any problems?

[quote]Sepukku wrote:
Maybe my diagrams don’t explain it well, but your body and the bench should be perpendicular to the machine and you should be facing away from it. If positioned like that I don’t think you would have any problems?[/quote]

Oh, I get it now.
That makes a lot more sense than how I was picturing it. I need to learn to visualize in 3D.

Hehe, or maybe I just need to learn how to draw with a mouse! (damn hard if you ask me)

Anyways, thanks for your input.

What you reckon then? Do you think you’d give it a shot? ;p

[quote]Sepukku wrote:
Hehe, or maybe I just need to learn how to draw with a mouse! (damn hard if you ask me)

Anyways, thanks for your input.

What you reckon then? Do you think you’d give it a shot? ;p[/quote]

I think it would be a good isolation exercise, but I don’t think I’d use it personally.

I don’t want to sound cliche by saying “I’m a powerlifter, not a bodybuilder” but I don’t know any other way to say it. lol

I’m sure isolation exersises have their place in powerlifting, but I’m not at that stage yet. (how’s that for being ‘PC’?)

Uh…why exactly?

I’m reminded of the Louie Simmons quotation where he says “A strong man is strong on the back of his body”. Notice he didn’t say “A strong man is strong lying on his side on a bench doing cable flyes.”

Maybe a bit of analysis paralysis or overthinking, no?

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
I think it would be a good isolation exercise, but I don’t think I’d use it personally.

I don’t want to sound cliche by saying “I’m a powerlifter, not a bodybuilder” but I don’t know any other way to say it. lol

I’m sure isolation exersises have their place in powerlifting, but I’m not at that stage yet. (how’s that for being ‘PC’?)[/quote]

Haha, that’s cool, makes perfect sense, this exercise is definitely geared toward bodybuilding!

[quote]InCorporeSano wrote:
Uh…why exactly?

I’m reminded of the Louie Simmons quotation where he says “A strong man is strong on the back of his body”. Notice he didn’t say “A strong man is strong lying on his side on a bench doing cable flyes.”

Maybe a bit of analysis paralysis or overthinking, no?[/quote]

It’s not about strength, see above post!

I vaguely recall reading about something slightly similar back on “Fig’s Bodybuilding Page” - if anyone remembers that.

And by similar, I mean insofar as it was a chest exercise lying on your side, but using a dumbell in your “bottom” arm as such, with your bottom shoulder hanging off the bench. (So not very similar at all!)

Perhaps you could supply us with some photos of the set up and actually performing the exercise.

Thanks

[quote]Sepukku wrote:
Yeah I know, I’ve looked at that thread, that’s why I put it in inverted commas. I am merely describing the portion of the pectorals closest to the sternum.

However, regardless of what you think or don’t think of ‘inner pecs’, what do you think of my exercise?[/quote]

I think it’ll probably give you a good pump if performed for 8-12 reps. I’ve been working in the 3-5 rep range for a while and really like it; I wonder if I could maintain proper posture while using the higher weights required for 3-5 rep ranges.

[quote]The Beast wrote:
I vaguely recall reading about something slightly similar back on “Fig’s Bodybuilding Page” - if anyone remembers that.

And by similar, I mean insofar as it was a chest exercise lying on your side, but using a dumbell in your “bottom” arm as such, with your bottom shoulder hanging off the bench. (So not very similar at all!)[/quote]

lol

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
Perhaps you could supply us with some photos of the set up and actually performing the exercise.

Thanks[/quote]

I wont be able to, but if anyone can figure out what the hell I’m talking about and can take pictures of it please do!

I’ll try to make better drawings in the meantime, thought the last ones would suffice but clearly they do not!

[quote]Miserere wrote:
Sepukku wrote:

However, regardless of what you think or don’t think of ‘inner pecs’, what do you think of my exercise?

I think it’ll probably give you a good pump if performed for 8-12 reps. I’ve been working in the 3-5 rep range for a while and really like it; I wonder if I could maintain proper posture while using the higher weights required for 3-5 rep ranges.[/quote]

Yeah I think this exercise is better for a higher rep range because of what you said, but it all depends on how strong your chest and core is. I don’t really think you’d need/be able to use so much weight that it would pull you off the bench or the bench and you off the ground lol. But it all depends on how strong you are and how heavy you are as well.

[quote]Sepukku wrote:
Miserere wrote:
Sepukku wrote:

I think it’ll probably give you a good pump if performed for 8-12 reps. I’ve been working in the 3-5 rep range for a while and really like it; I wonder if I could maintain proper posture while using the higher weights required for 3-5 rep ranges.

Yeah I think this exercise is better for a higher rep range because of what you said, but it all depends on how strong your chest and core is. I don’t really think you’d need/be able to use so much weight that it would pull you off the bench or the bench and you off the ground lol. But it all depends on how strong you are and how heavy you are as well.
[/quote]

i think it is pretty cool, the one thing you should realize is that given the exact same exercise post it up AND if you were dave tate or ct or chad everyone would be telling you how brilliant you are and how it is the most amazing thing they have ever seen. No offense to these guys they are great trainers but i am sure even they have a laugh and how people overreact to what is after all a pretty simple activity.