T Nation

My Cheat Meal Lesson

So the long and short of it is, I've been cutting and doing the 100 workouts from ripped city cardio plan... made it half way through (50 days) without a cheat. Started to crave pizza my de facto cheat. Went a few more days but gave in last night. Ordered a pizza, ate about 3 pieces and was like - this isn't worth it.

It's almost as if my taste buds have changed, I actually missed my cottage cheese. No more cheats for the rest of the cut.

Quick question though - the carbs definitely made me "blow up" a bit and my muscles looked fuller this morning so can anyone give me a recommendation about how to have a "healthy" carb up day. I was thinking I could add oats to every meal and do a full body workout.

I do use Surge peri workout already, but still, with the low carbs feel depleted.

IMO the healthiest carb up would be a few Sweet Potatoes, Parsnips and Yams all oven roasted in loads of Olive Oil and Rosemary.

Also Quinoa is great, try get the flakes make quinoa porridge…

I feel you on the cheat meal, they are never worth it and never as tasty as you anticipate. Personally I only have mine when eating out with friends etc they only happen once a fortnight or two, three times a week

no,

Oatmeal in breakfast/post workout

not every meal …

Carbs other than breakfast and post should be veggies or fruit (in morning for fruits … )

The sweet potatoes sound awesome but mixing with olive oil might not be in my best interest with my endomorphic tendencies.

[quote]Christopheel wrote:
no,

Oatmeal in breakfast/post workout

not every meal …

Carbs other than breakfast and post should be veggies or fruit (in morning for fruits … )[/quote]

On this cut, I already have oatmeal/berries for breakfast after morning cardio. The only other carbs I have are Surge during workout. Should I cut out the oatmeal normally and only use once a week for a carb up?

If you cut that out in the morning, your depleted feeling will get worse.

I use the carb up day for a somewhat healthy cheat meal, otherwise its carbs in the morning and extra coming from Surge on workout days.

[quote]poisongatorade wrote:

I use the carb up day for a somewhat healthy cheat meal, otherwise its carbs in the morning and extra coming from Surge on workout days. [/quote]

Do you do a whole carb up day? What does that meal/day entail?

I actually feel the same way, it’s odd. Since I’ve been eating healthy and lean it seems now when I eat junk food or things which a person wouldn’t deem healthy, it’s not as great as I thought it would be. But that’s good news, makes everything that much easier.

There’s only one thing I actually will never stop loving and that’s a Bellacino’s chicago steak grinder, the most delicious sandwich known to man!

[quote]cain06 wrote:
poisongatorade wrote:

I use the carb up day for a somewhat healthy cheat meal, otherwise its carbs in the morning and extra coming from Surge on workout days.

Do you do a whole carb up day? What does that meal/day entail? [/quote]

Eh not so much a whole carb up day, just a day in which I will deviate from the norm carb wise, say a egg and cheese grinder for breakfast and/or a sandwich for lunch… basically more carbs than normal for a day.

This is basically what I plan on doing while ‘cutting.’ Its worked so far and I can’t say I can stand it much longer. Not so much that not being able to eat when I am hungry or until I am actually full, but that I am becoming satisfied with the fat loss and I’m ready to focus on muscle again. But these habits I have picked up on from this phase have certainly stuck with me.

in my cutting phase i stopped taking in carbs after noon. oatmeal for breakfast, apple with my snack, and a salad for lunch. done. after that, protien/fats mainly in my meals.

my cheat meals got smaller and smaller the more i cut. my first one was an entire pizza and a slice of godiva cheese cake; yep…that bad. the last one i had was some potato ‘chips’ that i made in my oven with real potatoes. much better.