My Bulking Begins Now!

So you plan to get to BB benching 225 pounds for 20+ reps, and eventually repping with 200+ pounds on the standing push press without EVER attempting 405 pounds on the BB bench?

Sounds reasonable. Good luck.

[quote]dankid wrote:
***I’d also like to be able to push press BW for reps, but probably not 20+ (at least not initially)[/quote]

I was planning things out further for my upcoming intensification phase and am thinking I’ll skip the complexes during this phase.

I think splitting it up into traditional ME work will be better.

And i’ll be doing 3x per week in the gym, so it will probably look like this:

Workout A:

Deadlift 3x5

Power clean + Press 3-5x3

Triceps and/or shoulders 4x6

Workout B:

Front squat 3x5

Pullup 3-5x3

Biceps

I think that will work well instead of the complexes, and if need be i’ll drop the deadlifts and squats from these workouts.

out of interest, what can you lift at the moment? (reps wise if you never do 1RMs)

-bench
-squat
-dead
-push press
-pullup

etc.

Guys,

Not to derail the topic, but I know a couple guys (baseball players) that generally don't go heavier than 245 or 275 on bench, and even that's rare.. and most of the time just rep out 225.. and they can get 18-22 reps roughly.  And they sure as hell can't bench 405.  Just sayin'.  

And I’m sure some people that can bench 405 can’t move 225 for 20 reps. Different muscle fibers or some shit. wow I just started a whole lot of clauses with “and”. haha.

[quote]dankid wrote:
I was planning things out further for my upcoming intensification phase and am thinking I’ll skip the complexes during this phase.

I think splitting it up into traditional ME work will be better.

[/quote]

Okay, I’m not the biggest guy in the world, and haven’t been doing this for a super long time. I’m also a little drunk right now, so I may be talking like a dumbass right now but…

Isn’t this a whole lot of thinking and not nearly enough doing? WTF? Dude you’ve been doing this for 8 fucking years and you need to [quote]planning things out further for my upcoming intensification phase [/quote] and THINK you’ll [quote]skip the complexes during this phase[/quote]?

You honestly don’t know how your body responds well enough after 8 years of doing this to not KNOW what your going to do?

Also WTF is an intensification phase? I mean every time I go to the gym is pretty fucking intense to me. Shit I would feel like a homo doing something that didn’t either a) make me sweat balls in a cardio sort of way or b) make me nervous because the weight I’m about to try and move is fucking heavy (to me).

Sorry dude, I’m not trying to rain on your parade, and I will probably get flamed for this post, but I’m beyond confused here. Because I make progress without thinking anywhere near this much about what phase I’m in. I pretty much lift/move heavy shit, eat a lot of food & take a day off/sleep when my body is tired. WTF?

[quote]stringer wrote:
out of interest, what can you lift at the moment? (reps wise if you never do 1RMs)

-bench
-squat
-dead
-push press
-pullup

etc.[/quote]

Bench 190 x 8
Fr. squat 225 x 5
Dead 365 x 5
Push press 135 x 8
Pullup 240 x 5 or 190 x 12-15

Vertical pressing is my big glaring weakness i think. If you look my pullup is about 100lbs stronger than my push press. For a while there all i was doing was deadlift, pullup, and floor press.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
Peanut butter is dirty? whaa? Sounds good dude. When will this bitch take off?[/quote]

This makes me laugh every time I think of it…great line G.B.

coutningbeans:

This is what i mean… An intensification phase is focused on lower volume, higher intensities and usually the focus is ramping up the weight lifted. Whereas an accumulation phase the emphasis is on ramping up the total workload or volume, and usually, but not always, lighter weights and higher reps are used.

Im using my “intensification” phase as my deload. It will only last 10-14 days though, and will be much less volume and about the same or a bit greater intensity. And i’ll continue eating a ton, so I should experience a good amount of growth during this two week period.

As for why I dont know how things are going to be… Well this was my first time doing complexes and sled work, and its going to take some trial and error. But by the second or third phase I should have things down pretty well.

Oh and one other note about “training intense”. If you are able to go to the gym and always train intense then you probably arent training intense. The whole purpose of periodization or using deloads is to allow for greater work during the loading phases and greater recovery during the deloads.

If you get good results without this, you probably have really good genetics… BUT, you could be getting much better results by using some form of loading/deloading.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Oh and one other note about “training intense”. If you are able to go to the gym and always train intense then you probably arent training intense. [/quote]

Lets see, after less than a year my lifts are either the same, and in the case of the deadlift, light years ahead of yours, and you’ve been doing this for a lot longer.

You know what, I certainly am not training with intensity.

lol

I don’t know man, like I said I haven’t been doing this for 8 years. I’ll let you know though if the way I have been doing it stops working.

I know a lot of people with good genetics I guess. Everyone I know that looks like they lift keeps trying to add weight to the bar. Ha ha, dude the 2.5lb plates look so funny on the bar when the dude is benching 320, but you gotta add weight.

You mean like take 8 years to get a 190lb bench & 350 dead?

Counting Beans lol it’s obvious your drunk :stuck_out_tongue:

Intensification is part of my program too:

They ramp up the volume/ decrease rest time for 3 weeks ie intenisfy your workload then back off for a few weeks to allow more growth then ramp you back up again.

That’s one example :slight_smile:

Though after 2 1/2 weeks of ever being in the gym i have a 132lb Flat Bench and Incline and a 70kg/ 154lb Overhead Press … so erm Dankid maybe take a look at that program… you’ll find a link to it on Page 2 so no need to buy it.

[quote]dankid wrote:
coutningbeans:

This is what i mean… An intensification phase is focused on lower volume, higher intensities and usually the focus is ramping up the weight lifted. Whereas an accumulation phase the emphasis is on ramping up the total workload or volume, and usually, but not always, lighter weights and higher reps are used.

Im using my “intensification” phase as my deload. It will only last 10-14 days though, and will be much less volume and about the same or a bit greater intensity. And i’ll continue eating a ton, so I should experience a good amount of growth during this two week period.

As for why I dont know how things are going to be… Well this was my first time doing complexes and sled work, and its going to take some trial and error. But by the second or third phase I should have things down pretty well.[/quote]

Using an intensification phase as a deload? Seriously?

Not that you even need block periodization for bodybuilding purposes (you are wanting to get bigger and are posting in the bodybuilding forum, so don’t give me that “But I’m not interested in bodybuilding” bullshit in your reply). If you are going to overcomplicate things, at least do it correctly. This thread is turning into a ginormous clusterfuck. Aren’t you the guy who made the thread about how CW’s programs didn’t work for you? I can see how you failed at it if you approach everything you do with such a lack of confidence that you have to modify it out of existence.

Lift heavy, eat retarded amounts of healthy clean food, do cardio as you see necessary. You don’t need a 4 page long thread of things you are planning to do becuase you haven’t actually done anything yet.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Aren’t you the guy who made the thread about how CW’s programs didn’t work for you?
[/quote]

No, that was me actually.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
dankid wrote:
waylanderxx wrote:
So…

Does this mean you want to bench 405 now?

Oh, and no i still dont want to bench 405. My current goal would be my current BW (190) for 20+ reps. And then when I get to 215, my goal would be 215-225 for 20+ reps.

LOL!!!

Wow. No Einsteins in this generation.
[/quote]

Haha. So true Professor X.

Just read “The Dumbest Generation” by Mark Bauerlein if anyone here doubts just how retarded the “Millennials” or “Generation Y” or “Generation DotNet” (whatever you want to call us) truly are. Makes me sad sometimes to be included in this generation.

No wonder the majority of '09 contributors on this site suck.

[quote]krstphr wrote:

Just read “The Dumbest Generation” by Mark Bauerlein if anyone here doubts just how retarded the “Millennials” or “Generation Y” or “Generation DotNet” (whatever you want to call us) truly are. Makes me sad sometimes to be included in this generation.

[/quote]

Because one year really makes a major difference in the grand scheme of Evolution…

And you did not give it it’s full Title:

"The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young AMERICANS and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don’t Trust Anyone UNDER 30) "

I might be wrong but if your a grad student, American then you fit his profile to an absolute “T” … sorry for you.

And you put so much stock in his writings your ashamed of yourself and your generation, good grief… ever occur to you maybe he is wrong ?

Luckily for me I’m from Europe so I’m exempt and look I’m an '09 contributor.

[quote]SmallToBig wrote:
krstphr wrote:

Because one year really makes a major difference in the grand scheme of Evolution…

And you did not give it it’s full Title:

"The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young AMERICANS and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don’t Trust Anyone UNDER 30) "

I might be wrong but if your a grad student, American then you fit his profile to an absolute “T” … sorry for you.

And you put so much stock in his writings your ashamed of yourself and your generation, good grief… ever occur to you maybe he is wrong ?

Luckily for me I’m from Europe so I’m exempt and look I’m an '09 contributor.

[/quote]

Ah, nothing like someone getting real butt-hurt about a post. Excuse me for not writing the full title. Also, I did not put it in APA or ASA format. Am I going to get a bad grade big scary internet man?

Coutning beans: Im not saying you are wrong, or anything. And comparing me to you is pointless. Im just saying that its a pretty common fact that backoff/deload weeks will help with progress. You may be doing without even realizing it. Maybe you unconsciously are cutting down on sets, or # of exercises, and if you are not, I still think that you’d be getting much better gains if you payed attention to this.

I might have to check that book out. But as of now, i disagree. All generations have a large majority that are pretty freaking stupid. Their are cetain things about our generation, like MTV, VH1 and E, that would definately support the authors point, but this is not how all of our generation is. And the comment someone else mentioned about grad stuends in america makes no sense to me at all. Sure our education system is garbage, but individuals with a higher level of education are our only hope. Our real bane is not going to come from education or even he iternet. Its going to be from entertainement and television. Sure facebook and twitter are absolutely retarded, but these will phase out shortly. But flip through the channels on your TV sometime and take a look at the crap that is on MTV. It’s pure and utter garbage. I used to think Jerry Springer was bad, but it was funny. Entertainement these days is clearly playing on the low intellects of the majority of americans. End of rant…

***Oh and the posts on this site have nothing to do with any of this. This all has to do with a clash of opinions and methodologies, that has been brought up over the last 30-50 years in the industry. You’ve got the Arthur Jones’s and Joe Wieders, etc… and then youve got the Dantes and CW’s and Abels. So much “guruish” methods and opinions, with loyal followers. Then you have the annonymitty of the internet, and its a perfect formula for what we have here. The best thing you can do is live with it, and be respectfull, but there are plenty of immature individuals and pricks to make things worse. And if the internet was this big in the 1980’s you’d see very similar forums. It has nothing to do with our generation.

[quote]krstphr wrote:
Ah, nothing like someone getting real butt-hurt about a post. Excuse me for not writing the full title. Also, I did not put it in APA or ASA format. Am I going to get a bad grade big scary internet man?

[/quote]

Butt-Hurt ? How could i, you offended yourself i was merely pointing it out.

Not good to go around posting bad things about yourself, leads to all sorts of nasty mental problems :stuck_out_tongue:

Enough said: