T Nation

My Body is in a Recession

Muscle production is down due to lack of natural resources such as energy.

The Republican John Beradi’s suggest that I eat 5 to 6 meals a day with, each with a serving of protein while eating enough fruits and veggies and exercising multiple times per week.

The liberal mothers call for bed rest and drinking lots of fluids such as orange juice (sugar water!?!?!?!? or is it?), which amounts to long periods of inactivity.

The problem is a Republican holds the presidency, but the Liberals are gaining ground because the public is demanding change.

It’s time for the pundits to weigh in!

do what?

Only one word can summarize it:

Huh?

Not clever. Are you trying to say you are sick and asking if you should go about business as usual or do what doctors tell you to do when sick?

What the hell are you talking about?

Bro, cut the political garbage.

Now, eat more than 4 meals a day and hydrate adequately. No need to complicate things.

P.S.-> How the HELL is orange juice sugar water?!

Troll.

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
Bro, cut the political garbage.

Now, eat more than 4 meals a day and hydrate adequately. No need to complicate things.

P.S.-> How the HELL is orange juice sugar water?![/quote]

Yeah he was right about the OJ.

[quote]SonnabenD wrote:
Padilla7921 wrote:

Yeah he was right about the OJ.[/quote]

Dude I am so confused right now. How is OJ just sugar water? I love OJ, simply amazing stuff.

SonnabenD wrote:
Padilla7921 wrote:

Yeah he was right about the OJ.

Dude I am so confused right now. How is OJ just sugar water? I love OJ, simply amazing stuff.[/quote]

well, let’s see. It’s mainly water, and it’s mainly sugar with some vitamin C.

eat an orange :smiley: unless of course you’re not worried about BF levels

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[/quote]

While I feel like a total dumbass right now, thank you. I never really looked at it like that (nor did I know). I usually eat oranges more than I drink their juice, but a glass every now and then can’t hurt.

Thanks for the clarification. Something so simple is going to make me have to rethink my life…

what the fuck is happening

jehovasfitness wrote:

While I feel like a total dumbass right now, thank you. I never really looked at it like that (nor did I know). I usually eat oranges more than I drink their juice, but a glass every now and then can’t hurt.

Thanks for the clarification. Something so simple is going to make me have to rethink my life…[/quote]

Dear Lord, some of you are retarded. There is NOTHING wrong with Orange Juice. I can’t even believe there are now people trying to get others to stop drinking fruit juices.

What the fuck is the matter with some of you?

No offense, but why would you listen to someone with limited personal development on anything concerning what to eat? We should all stop drinking fruit juice for fear of fat gain?

If you change everything you are doing that easily because of some off the wall statement by an author, you deserve what you get. This is honestly the dumbest thread I’ve seen in a while.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

No offense, but why would you listen to someone with limited personal development on anything concerning what to eat? We should all stop drinking fruit juice for fear of fat gain?

If you change everything you are doing that easily because of some off the wall statement by an author, you deserve what you get. This is honestly the dumbest thread I’ve seen in a while.[/quote]

No offense taken, Professor. For clarification, I’m not intending to remove fruit juices from my diet. I just never saw OJ as “water with sugar and vitamin C,” so when I heard it put that way, I asked why. I made the “rethink my life” statement because I missed something that I thought was, upon realization, pretty clear had I look at it properly.

And as for my oranges-to-OJ consumption remarks, that remains just a fact of economics. My dad gives me a ton of naval oranges every time I see him, which are free to me. Orange juice costs money (but I do buy every now and then). Thusly, I eat more oranges than I drink OJ for monetary reasons.

Lastly, Professor, no need to think me a fool or dumbass or what have you. This was simply me inquiring about something I was ignorant about.

Professor X wrote:

If you change everything you are doing that easily because of some off the wall statement by an author, you deserve what you get. This is honestly the dumbest thread I’ve seen in a while.

No offense taken, Professor. For clarification, I’m not intending to remove fruit juices from my diet. I just never saw OJ as “water with sugar and vitamin C,” so when I heard it put that way, I asked why. I made the “rethink my life” statement because I missed something that I thought was, upon realization, pretty clear had I look at it properly.

And as for my oranges-to-OJ consumption remarks, that remains just a fact of economics. My dad gives me a ton of naval oranges every time I see him, which are free to me. Orange juice costs money (but I do buy every now and then). Thusly, I eat more oranges than I drink OJ for monetary reasons.

Lastly, Professor, no need to think me a fool or dumbass or what have you. This was simply me inquiring about something I was ignorant about.[/quote]

My response had little to do with you personally and much more to do with every beginner who was going to log on and now think they should avoid fruit juice because someone wrote that it makes you fat.

This is why I keep mentioning pictures. I guarantee most of the people pushing ideas like this are also some of the least developed. I can get away with eating more because I am carrying more muscle mass and I train regularly, meaning my body needs more calories than some guy who has been sitting at the exact same weight for years on end. That means I don’t need to worry about whether orange juice is going to make me fat by itself and most people training hard in the gym to actually gain some muscle mass shouldn’t be concerned either.

It helps to look at WHO is giving what advice.

Why not listen to both parties and eat 6 meals a day with a nice amount of carbs, protein, and fat while also getting plenty of rest and drinking lots of liquid including, but not limited to; water, gatorade, orange juice, etc.

If you’re feeding your body enough then I’m sure your body is more than capable of handling a working a couple times a week.

My response had little to do with you personally and much more to do with every beginner who was going to log on and now think they should avoid fruit juice because someone wrote that it makes you fat.

It helps to look at WHO is giving what advice.[/quote]

Valid points. Like GetSwole, some others, and I are talking about in another thread, theory only goes so far. When it comes down to it, experience is what matters in weightlifting. I said it in that thread and I’ll say it again, past experiences, good or bad, should be what you base your diet/routine/whatever on, not scientific theory. When you read information, you need to read it in context of yourself, not as overarching objective truths.

Specifically about OJ, back when I had money to my name, I used to drink it regularly because of its anti-cortisol properties. Also, whenever I get sick, I drink it, because the Vitamin C in it helps me get better. So, while it’s just “water and sugar with Vitamin C,” it’s properties are all natural, which is obviously a good thing.

And finally, tying things together, experience is definitely what counts. Someone can have a lot of theoretical knowledge about something, but in the end, it’s far better for that knowledge to be practical and hands-on. And, like you said, you can tell their experience/etc by looking at their bodies (and numbers, or both).

Translation: I am sick (read: bad cold), and I wanted your opinions on whether there was anything I could do in terms of nutrition to help me get better.

I currently follow Berardi’s nutrition advice and I own a copy of his gourmet nutrition cookbook. I have heard him say to stay away from fruit juices, which is why I put in that comment about OJ, but I cannot say for certain if his comments about fruit juice include OJ.

I have been reading a lot of books about investing lately, and in my fevered state I decided it would be a good idea to post my question like I did, even though it was a little hard to understand.

-PD

BTW, were the angry replies really necessary?

You are sick.

Eat some whole foods that you won’t be throwing up, get lot of liquids (green tea may by a good idea) to flush your system, and get some rest. The sooner you recover, the sooner you can get back into it - force feeding your self isn’t going to help.

Padilla7921 wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Lastly, Professor, no need to think me a fool or dumbass or what have you. This was simply me inquiring about something I was ignorant about.

This is why I keep mentioning pictures. I guarantee most of the people pushing ideas like this are also some of the least developed. I can get away with eating more because I am carrying more muscle mass and I train regularly, meaning my body needs more calories than some guy who has been sitting at the exact same weight for years on end. That means I don’t need to worry about whether orange juice is going to make me fat by itself and most people training hard in the gym to actually gain some muscle mass shouldn’t be concerned either.

It helps to look at WHO is giving what advice.[/quote]

Are you serious? Orange juice, or any fruit juice for that matter, is pretty much useless in terms of any body composition or performance goal.

• The processing of the juices kills all the phytonutrients and leaves you with a little bit of vitamins.

• Its loaded with “useless” fructose and contains no fiber.

• It does little to curve the appetite.

• It is more easily absorbed (being a liquid with no fiber) and requires less effort by your body to process, yielding no TEF caloric expenditure.

Commercial orange juice is inferior to water and green tea in every single aspect. It has no advantages, and is just an excuse to load up on simple carbs guilt-free. If you want some healthy OJ, grind it up yourself. Stop living in 1980 and wake the fuck up.