T Nation

My Body is a Wreck. And I Need to Change.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/unledah.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/863/unled2fv.jpg/

stats: 5ft9
175 pounds
bf: don't know, but too high.

Lifts: Bench = 60kg 3x5 , Deadlift 90kg 1x5.

I honestly think that looks around 30% bodyfat, i've tried bulking but i have got so much fat that its making it hard for my body to gain muscle i think. Bull****, i really regret the time i went on a dreamer bulk and got fat that i now find really hard to get rid of.

I'm a newb and i don't really know what i'm doing with this process, i've been a casual gym goer but its not good enough for me anymore when i want to improve.

"tired bulking?"

Get on a real split, a 5x5, or something comparable, eat good food, and train your ass off.

For a beginner, this is pretty simple. It is mostly about intensity in the gym and you being willing to put in the work it takes to get your body to the next level.

You should focus right now in improving your lifts and not worry about your body composition IMO. Eat a ton of dense food and add weight to the bar....I feel like I just said this somewhere else...

He definitely needs to be aware of his body comp, but not worry. So I agree.

OP

Eat at maintenance level. High protein 1.5g/lb. Moderate carbs; somewhere in the 150-250g range, its hard to say what'll work purely by guessing. 25% fat.

You should not be eating a big surplus as your insulin sensitivity is likely horrible at this point.

Cut out ALL alcohol. Eat plenty of vegetables. And most importantly, force yourself to get much stronger. Do cardio.

What these guys said^^^

They know what they're talking about, and it's pointless for me to re-type the same words essentially. Start logging your sessions in a logbook, or online here, if you need the accountability at first. Once you start seeing results, you won't need accountability, if you're like most people....you'll enjoy the results you are seeing so much that you'll keep wanting more.

Bonez refined what I was trying to say.

I think ultimately the most important thing for you is getting stronger. You can't force-feed muscle growth, just make sure you are eating enough good cals (like those Bonez listed).

Also, Hungry's suggestion to start a log is a fantastic idea and I highly recommend it (by highly recommend, I really mean it's necessary).

Here is a tip that nobody ever talks about for some reason: There is no such thing as an "out-of-shape" bodybuilder. Bodybuilding is a pretty strenuous athletic activity, you don't just from from zero to building 17 inch arms in one leap.

If you are out of shape, which you definitely look to be, then GET IN SHAPE before you try to start bodybuilding. You really ought to be at a certain level of fitness before attempting to bulk up and build a lot of muscle mass... and for any idiots reading this, I do not mean "cut now, then bulk later!". I mean you must have some sort of athleticism in you before your body will have any desire to build more muscle... and that probably includes a lower bodyfat percentage.

As others have said, start eating a healthy high-protein diet, start lifting and doing cardiovascular exercise. Don't expect to jump into gaining a whole bunch of mass when you aren't fit enough to run half a mile without puking.

Day 1

4x Squats: 5 reps
3x Ham Work: 8 reps
3x BB or DB Row: 8 reps
2x Bicep Curls: 10 reps

Day 2

4x Bench Press: 5 reps
3x Military Press: 8 reps
3x Tricep Isolation: 8 reps
2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

Day 3

4x Deadlifts: 5 reps
3x Pullups: 8 reps
3x Leg Press: 8 reps
2x Biceps Curls: 10 reps

Day 4

4x DB or Incline Press: 5 reps
3x Chest Dips: 8 reps
3x Side Lateral Raise: 8 reps
2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

Day 1: On
Day 2: On
Day 3: Off
Day 4: On
Day 5: Off
Day 6: On
Day 7: Off

How does this routine look guys?

My ideas are always good, that goes without saying. Duh <3

Seems to be a recurring motif with CT's spills, programs, articles, etc.