T Nation

My Beta Phase Renegade Program

Since following a Renegade style program the last few months I have experienced great results. Strength has jumped back up, work capacity is better than ever, and my workouts are fun. There are many things I could say about the Renegade lifestyle. I will post the details of my recently completed Beta Phase.

Monday AM:Non-weighted GPP: 15 minutes (2 minutes rope, 2 minutes GPP, 1 minute rest, repeat 2 times)DB circuit: 2 sets/arm (swing, snatch, squat push press for 30 reps)ME Squat: 2-3 sets of 2-3 repsOly Lift: 4 sets of 3 (Snatch, Clean, or High Pull)Glute Ham Raise: 3 sets of 15 or 4 sets of 12Bent DB Press w/ DB Stiff-Leg Deads: 4 sets each of 4-6Saxon Bends w/ Lunges: 2 sets each of 4-6Rack Pulls: 4 sets of 4-6Finisher: “The Bear” 2 sets of 5

There should be no DB circuit on Monday AM. It is a mistake in the post.

Wednesday AM: Non-weighted GPP, DB circuit, DE Bench w/ Chains: 8-10 sets of 3, T-Bar Rows w/ Barbell Skull Crushers w/ Chains: 4-6 sets each of 4-6 reps, Seated Cable Rows w/ Standing One-Arm DB Press: 4-6 sets each of 4-6 reps, Rotator Cuff Work.

Friday AM: Non-weighted GPP, DE Box Squat: 8-10 sets of 2 (rehab work lately for me so I do 6 sets of 4), Oly Lift: 4 sets of 3 (Snatch, Clean, High Pulls), Glute Ham Raise: 3 sets of 15 or 4 sets of 12, DB Side Press w/ DB Step Ups: 4 sets each of 4-6/8-12, DB Windmills w/ Pull-throughs: 4 sets each of 4-6/6-8, Chin Variations: 4 sets of 4-6, Finisher: DB Snatch 2 sets of 3-5

Saturday AM: Non-weighted GPP, DB Circuit, ME Bench: 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps, Push Press: 6 sets of 4, Bent-over Barbell Rows w/ Dips: 4-6 sets each of 4-6 reps, One-Arm Rows w/ DB Extensions: 4-6 sets each of 4-6 reps, Rotator Cuff Work.

PM Workouts that consist of agility drills, sprints, med balls, weighted GPP, sled work will be posted soon!

What is ME Squat?

ME Squat just means Maximal Effort Squat. My DE and ME days were adapted from Westside Barbell methods. On ME Squat days I choose a type of squat and work up to maximal weight for 2-3 sets of 2-3 reps. I prefer not to use a weight I can only handle for 1 rep. ME Squat exercises might include low box squat, deadlift, deadlift w/ bands, goodmornings, etc.

So what does DE stand for? Thanks for posting the workout, you’re giving me alot to think about. Can’t wait for your PM workout post.

Yo Machine thanks. I was gonna buy the football training series, but money is a lil tight with moving. So in 2 weeks after I finish my current series, I’ll probably snag yours and work on it for 6 weeks or so.

what sport is this for?

Sorry I did not explain DE days. DE stands for Dynamic Effort, also adopted from Westside Barbell (a powerlifting group). On these days I take 55-65% of max and do 6-10 sets of 2-3 reps. The focus of DE is speed not weight and quick explosion. For example, for DE Bench w/ Chains the weight is essentially dropped under control and exploded back up (no bounce). The set of 3 reps should be completed in about 3-5 seconds. Note: To anyone who tries chains w/ Bench and/or Squat be conservative early on. It takes weeks to establish a “feel” for this type of load. PM Workouts coming soon.

This type of training is geared toward football. The key elements are explosive strength, maximal strength, lateral & linear speed, agility, foot speed, dynamic flexibility, GPP, and work capacity. Of course, these things are required for a lot of other sports as well. I am training with a friend who plans to make a comeback to play for a Div. I-A college football team. In a few weeks, I will post our next phase which will include all sorts of new training media.

Hey Machine,
Looking through your program … what is this based on? Meaning, did you go through an alpha level program? Obviously, within the realm of Renegade Phases, careful consideration is taken toward building upon what was done in prior levels and phases, etc. Looks like a good workout hybrid with some other “routines” … dare I say. I just wanted to point out to those here that this isn’t a typical Renegade workout, although it looks good. How long have you been on it? What’s your progess been? Right on with the bear, it’s great, isn’t it?

Yes, I do hope people realize this program was NOT prescribed by Coach John Davies himself. I am merely using many of his training methods within my program. I include Westside methods (see ME and DE days) into the program because I am a big believer in their training.

While this may not be a “typical” Renegade workout, I would imagine there is no such thing as a “typical” Renegade workout. The sport specific programs undoubtedly have commonalities within each phase, however, it is my understanding that Coach Davies individualizes the programs based on the condition and needs of the person. Renegade to me is an attitude, not a specific workout. However, to train Renegade one must examine every aspect of training: maximal and explosive strength, dynamic and static flexibility, linear and lateral speed, foot work, GPP, core strength, etc. He or she must also pursue his or her goals with a relentless attitude and ferocious desire to succeed.

Corporal, I did complete my Alpha phase. The Beta phase was created with great consideration of my training hisotry and recently completed Alpha Phase. I made both short and long-term goals. I use 4-6 week phases and I am just finishing Beta phase. I extended it since I have not made my Chi phase yet. Equipment that will be needed soon include: sledgehammer, tire, k-bells, weighted vest. I will post my PM workouts next.

Machine, you’ve got the idea of what a Renegade is all about! What I meant from “typical” is that we don’t generally do max effort lifts, etc. Please e-mail me your “real name” just so I know who I’m talking to (if you don’t mind). I’m always interested to know how we get through each level/phase and how it’s affected us, both in and out of the gym.

How has this beta workout been treating you? You should see some of the stuff I’m doing now for my extreme sports training … different than anything I’ve done before and the results are amazing. After just one day of training (both in the gym and around NYC) I came home, got on the Swiss ball, and mastered a standing balancing act. Next comes transfers!

PM workouts:

Monday PM: 1) Sled Lower Body Drags: 6 trips of Pull-through Walks, 2) Wheelbarrow Strolls: 10-14 minutes.

Tuesday PM: 1) Agility Ladder: 2 sets of 10 drills, 2) Cone Drills: 3 drills, 2-3 patterns per drill, 1-2 sets per pattern, 3) Sub-max Sprints: 6-8 55 yd. Renegade Gassers, 4) Med Balls: 9 exercises for 5 throws each.

Wednesday PM: 1) Sled Upper Body Drags: 6 trips of Rear Raise Walks, 2) Wheelbarrow Strolls: 10-14 minutes.

Thursday PM: 1) Agility Ladder: 2 sets of 10 drills, 2) Cone Drills: 3 drills, 2-3 patterns per drill, 1-2 sets per pattern, 3) Med Balls: 9 exercises for 5 throws each.

Friday PM: 1) Sled Lower Body Drags: 6 trips of Belt Walks, 2) Wheelbarrow Strolls: 10-14 minutes.

Saturday PM: 1) Agility Ladder: 2 sets of 10 drills, 2) Cone Drills: 3 drills, 2-3 patterns per drill, 1-2 sets per pattern, 3) Sub-max Sprints: 6-8 55 yd. Renegade Gassers, 4) Sled Upper Body Drags: 6 trips of Front Raise Walks.

Med Ball Exercises: Forward/Backward Scoop Throws, Downward Smash, Chest Pass, Overhead Throws, Lateral Toss, Sit-up Toss, and the Frog Toss (personal favorite).

If you would like me to give the certain specifics on any part of the workouts let me know and I’ll post again.

I also forgot to mention that Hip mobility exercises are done prior to workouts, generally before non-weighted GPP for a warm-up.

Machine, I’m curious as to how your body composition has changed while on this program. What are your stats? What type of diet? LBM gain or fat loss? Thanks buddy for any information.

bump