My Benefits From TRT

Guys, this forum is great and helping tons of people, but we need one thread that has some good news. Where is the the information on the positive benefits of TRT. Where is the “I feel 10 years younger”, “put on 2” on my arms", “energy level like I had in my 20’s”, " I reclaimed the physique I had"…

There has to be alot of guys like me who used this forum to get educated, find a good doctor and are going to hopefully start off right and move from low T to high end of the range. We are looking to hear from the veterans who are using the right protocol and how they have benefited from TRT and any helpful advice. - thanks - lets see some good posts…

I am getting my last set of labs back next week and I am going to get started. I hope I have some great news to post on this thread in a few months.

Have you read the stickies?

Yes, and I am working with a well known TRT Dr. who will be using a protocol like in the stickies. Simply was looking for some good news stories of positive impact TRT has had on people’s lives. Hard to believe that with 100 views nobody has any positive comments. I hope the guys who have had success are too busy having fun to be online.

The benefits are all in the threads, not explicit as you would like to see. And many who get things right simply do not see the need to hang out here any more. That been said, what is wrong with me?

1 Like

Got it. And a big thank you for all the help - Not only do you help many people with serious health issues you also get people started off on the right path and hopefully avoid issues that would resulted from a lack of information.

Hey 2Bstronger, I think the reason we don’t hear more success stories is because we are just striving to return to normal. Regardless of how much our lives improve from the benefits of TRT we just return to where we once were. I am still trying to dial in my treatment but have definately come a long way in almost every aspect of life. Most importantly I have more patience with my kids. I have more energy at work, around the yard, the gym and hockey. I no longer cry at the most stupid shit imaginable. Oh, and the wife and I are having more fun when the youngers go to bed. lol Good luck with your treatment man!

I like the suggestion 2B, we are all interested in what is working for others. I have been keeping track of the progress I have made in the gym as well as many other positive benefits. I will be getting updated labs this month and will have more information to share then. I am really excited about the gains in strength and size and will post them as soon as I get the labs. Keep us posted on your progress.

I was on TRT for about a year, started feeling great for a while but I was taking too much AI and my E2 got low and I started having ED issues. Went to a urologist and he told me to get of the T. So for the past year I’ve been trying to restart my HPTA using Nolvadex, supping iodine, prenenolone, dhea, etc, without external T.

Its been a journey and I’m learning a lot about feedback loops and how adrenals, thyroid and pituitary all work in harmony and support one another. If I ever go back on Test, I will know why… Knowledge is power!

EZrider - Thanks. Looking forward to hearing how it is going. Looks like I have the final meeting with the Dr this Thursday and should have the RX’s I need to get started. High in the Range T - here I come…

Here’s my 2 month log:

Restarted trt and workouts in mid Feb. 2013. Using 100mg per week T-cyp, 50iu 2x week hcg, .5 anastrozole 2x week.

Supplements:
Ubiquinone COQ10 - 100mg p day
Acetyl L-Carnitine 500mg 3x p day
Cinnamon Bark Powder Extract - 1500mg p day
BCAA - 1500mg 3x p day
Non Hydrogenated Coconut Oil 14g p day (1 tbsp)
Wellavoh Daily Vit for men (has 150 mcg iodine)
Iodine - 200mcg p day from kelp
Omega Prime - Essential Fatty Acid Complex
Vit D3 - 5,000 iu p day
B12/B6/Folic Acid - 2 sublingual tabs p day (1 tab has B12 as methylcobalamin which helps lower homocycteine levels) - 1,000mcg (The 2nd tab has B12 as Cyanocobalamin + methylcobalamin and is a great pre workout energy booster) 3,000mcg
Nopalea Superfruit - fights inflamation - 1oz p day
Adaptuit - adaptogen complex - 1oz p day
Coconut Milk based Protien Isolate (Contains no Soy) 1 shake per day
Creatine - aprox. 5g on workout days.

Workouts consist of simple compound movements using Olympic weights, dumbbells, and weight machine. (I have a very nice home gym). I am using Dorien Yates “Blood and Guts” Routine. Lift on M, T, Th, Fr, and do P90X ab workout on Wed. I have not really started any cardio yet but plan to soon. I do lot’s of walking in the woods around my house.

Benefits:

Strength has increased on every lift: Bench Press started in late Feb. at 175lbs. on my working set. 2 months later I’m at 250lbs. on my working set. (I’m using the 10-6-3 protocol)
This is more than I have ever worked out with…it has been fun and amazing.
Every lift has had similar % improvement.

Size: Waist dropped from 36 to 34. Arms jumped from 15 1/4" to 17 1/2". Again there are similar % in gains in all the right places. I can see my abs again!!! Even the people who see me often are noticing the dramatic changes and asking what I’m doing.

Sex: Nocturnal Erections every night, (I don’t have to worry about rolling out of the bed).
Morning Wood is there every morning…it’s like having an old friend back.
No more worries about losing firmness during intercourse…it just keeps on going…
Speaking of firmness, I can’t remember ever having such a “Hard” hard-on…I think I could
break a board with it.
I’m able to come everyday and even multiple times per day…haven’t done that in a while.
Only problem is my wife is running from me…say’s I’m wearing her out…got to get her hormones adjusted. BTW we’ve been married 37 yrs.
My Dad, who is almost 81 wants to try trt after hearing about this. He said that he and Mom only have sex a couple of times a week now…(maybe there’s hope for me since I got some of his genes) BTW my 81 yr. old Dad still pole vaults and high jumps and does several sprints in the senior olympics…he qualified for the nationals again this year and was on the front page of a news paper, pole vaulting. He still has all his teeth, doesn’t wear glasses or hearing aids…no medications…a freak of nature…he’s my hero!

Labs: Hematocrit went up from 48.7 to 52.9 so I went and donated blood already.
Cholesterol went down from 267 to 231
Triglycerides went down from 292 to 135 wow!
TESTOSTERONE Total went UP from 279 to 1146 (yes, that’s 1,146)
Testosterone Free went up from 11.0 to 35.2
DHEA went up from 247.7 to 268.2
IGF-1 IS 269 on a scale of 51-194 (no need for hgh for me) I did not have this tested before.
Estradiol dropped from 8 to 6 (range 3-70) Funny, because I don’t feel bad and no ED. I will drop the ai for a while and re-check.
Homocysteine dropped from a dangerous 16 to 8 (range 0-15)

OK, enough for now. I’m anxious to hear of others benefits and what you did to get there.

EZrider

I hope this helps some of the 40+ year olds who are otherwise healthy but with low T what they may be able to expect. When I was looking on the boards I had a hard time finding success stories as most people posing had issues they were trying to fix.

My update - It has been 6 weeks since my first shot. After a bumpy initial start (I front loaded my first dose doing 200mg in the first week and I did not feel well) TRT has been a HUGE success. I get my labs next week, based on just how I feel I expect to be in the top 25% of the range (from the bottom 3% at the pre TRT) and donâ??t seem to have any estrogen problems - I will post my before and after LABS in my next update.

This is what I have have experienced in my first 6 weeks on TRT:

Strength improved dramatically. Based on my first 6 weeks of improvement - I have hopes of achieving the level of fitness I had when I competed in my last natural bodybuilding show 5 years ago (at 39). For example: Pre TRT I was doing 60lb dumbbell overhead shoulder presses for 10 reps now can do 80lbs for 10. 75lbs for incline dumbbell for 10 now doing 95 for 10. All other lifts are up similarly. Basically my lifts are quickly coming back to where I was at my strongest naturally. I have not taken new measurements since I started and will save that for my next update.

Body fat / muscle mass - Improved. Look more muscular and full, body fat down. I will post my Bodyfat changes in my next update

Mood improved dramatically. Did not realize how much my feeling of well-being has deteriorated over time until now that I feel like my old self. Just plain feel better / more relaxed / more confident this was a big surprise and far exceeds what I was expecting
Energy Level Up - Workouts are much more intense and fun. Do not need to sleep as much. Seven hours and I am fully rested and feel great vs needing more than 8hrs and being tiered all the time. No problem doing a hard workout, jog 3 miles, cut the grass, play with the kids… prior to TRT in the last year or so that would be an exhausting day and I would be kinda grumpy.

Memory - My short term memory has improved. It had been getting worse and worse and it has improved significantly. Still not great and it never was - but back to how it used to be. Much easier time remembering peopleâ??s names / thinking on my feet / recalling things quicker than prior to TRT.

Hope this was helpful - I will post another update after 10 - 12 weeks.

Way to go 2B,
It’s encouraging to hear your positive results. Your increases are impressive! I worked out for 2 years before TRT with very little results. I have been amazed at the difference that it is making and it is creating a positive cycle of motivation. I am 57 yrs. old and I am only taking 100 mg per week…no blasting and cruising…nothing special. My T levels are in the high end of the normal range (see my post above). The only explanation is that our bodies are no longer being deprived of what they need for muscle growth and better quality of life…it almost seems too simple.

I have to tell you that today my bench went up to 275 on my last set. I only squeezed out 4 reps but it was still fun. That is a 100lb. increase since I started a little over 12 weeks ago.

Thanks for posting how much weight you are lifting…it helps me have something to shoot for or compare to. I hope some more 40+ year olds with chime in with their experience…both what has worked for them and what hasn’t. What is your TRT protocol 2B?

Hey EZ - Thanks

275 x 4 at 57 years old - Great lift at any age - at 57 that is truly impressive. I know a few guys at the gym about your age on TRT and they look amazing. That was part of my motivation to get started. My guess is you have lots of great gains in front of you.

I am glad to tell you my protocol (like you I am very interested in what people are doing and what has worked for them) - although I am a far better source for bodybuilding and powerlifting information than for TRT as I am still playing what works best for me. Currently I am doing 36mg of Cyp E3D (equivalent of 84mg a week) and 150iu of HCG the day before my Cyp shot (equivalent of 525iu a week). At this point I do not need an AI as my E2 continues to be low (~15 in a 8 to 42 range). I have been taking detailed notes every day on my dosage and how I feel so I can adjust my protocol to see what works best for me. In another month or so I am planning on moving to E2D and seeing if that makes any difference in how I feel. I am absolutely amazed at the results so far. I expect the years of hard weight training at the bottom 3% of the free T range has resulted in my body really soaking up the T and responding really well. Currently my T levels are about mid range so I have some room to continue to increase the dose and hopefully keep the gains coming. At this point I am getting stronger every week and having a total blast. When my gains slow, I am planning on slowly increasing my dose to 100mg a week and 600iu-700iu of HCG as long as my E2 and Blood thickness stay in check. If I want to go above that I need to go back to by Dr. and ask to increase my dose. Keep training hard and good luck.

Thanks 2B,

As you are a “better source for bodybuilding and powerlifting…” can I pick your brain? What lifts are you currently doing? What is your workout frequency, number of sets, number of reps, how much on warm up sets…working sets etc.?

I’m currently doing Dorian Yates “Blood and Guts” routine and have had good success with it but I feel like it’s time to mix it up a little so my muscles don’t get complacent and so I don’t get bored. Or would you recommend staying with the same thing so I can measure the successes more easily?

Thanks

Most guys come here for help and leave once they get sorted, which is why you don’t see many “success” stories.

Personally, my day-to-day function has improved…everything from mood, sense of well-being, no more brain fog, no more emotional roller coasters, etc…all that is back to “normal”. Heck, most days, I feel pretty dang good. Blessed, honestly! As far as physical improvements, I dropped some BF (nothing dramatic by any means), and have maintained my strength. I could clean up the diet for more than a few days at a time and be sporting abs, which I’ve never had, even when playing football as a kid. I’m not at “cycle” strength levels, but I’m not all that far off from when I was at my strongest.

I like the idea of having a thread for good positive anecdotal stories of guys on TRT… Here’s mine –

I’m 37 years old and have been on TRT for about 3 years now. I’ve had my ups and downs, but when TRT is working for me it makes me feel amazing. It makes me wonder how long I was living with this condition without even knowing it. After going through periods of life with no MW, and no sex drive ----- I get good spontaneous erections again, like when I was 14, and my energy level and mood are through the roof. After recently going through a bump in the road and re-adjusting my TRT dose, I went from not wanting to get off the couch to climbing a mountain last weekend. A few weeks prior, I was so weak and out of breath just walking to the mailbox – but when I reached the Summit on Sunday, I felt like I could keep going even further! My panic-anxiety disorder is better on TRT also.

If you are new to TRT, or returning here because you’re having problems with it – Try not to worry. Take comfort in knowing that a lot of guys here have gotten their TRT dialed in (sometimes several times already), and they do have a good quality of life.

Best Regards,

-Hak

1 Like

EZ,

You can’t go wrong with Dorian Yates Routine. I find higher volume works better for me to add muscle mass. If you want to switch things up give this a shot:

1. Warm up 2 sets of your first exercise then do 3 to 5 exercises for 3 to 5 sets each. (large body parts like legs and back on the high end of the range and smaller body parts like biceps on the low end).

2. Rep range from 6-12 most sets should be about 10 reps to failure or 1 rep shy. Find a spotter for a couple forced reps on select exercises.

3. Workouts should never be longer than 1hr and be high intensity the entire time. Rest between 1-3 min between sets (Closer to 3min after heavy squats or other intense compound movements closer to 1min for curls and similar)

4. With TRT I now can train each bodypart once every 5-6 days. Prior to TRT I would do one bodypart a week. Depending on your recovery see what works best.

5. This is a good schedule: Day 1: Chest, Day 2: Back, Day 3: Shoulders, Day 4: Arms, Day 5: Legs, Day 6: Rest then start again. Now I just keep going and put in a rest day when I feel I need it. If you want to stay on a 7 day cycle so everything is always ht on the same day put another rest day between back and Shoulders.

6. Keep protein intake at ~1.5 grams per pound bodyweight. Take ~30 grams right after working out. I find Creatine is also helpful and take 5 grams when I get up in the morning and 5 grams after I lift.

7. Stick with the basic exercises and hit every set hard. What works… Chest: Bench Press, Flat Dumbbell Press, Incline Dumbbells. Shoulders: Seated barbell Press, Upright Rows, Shrugs, Dumbbell Overhead Presses, Dumbbell side laterals. Arms: Bar Curls, Preacher Curls, Dumbbell Curls, Triceps Extensions, Pushdowns, Close Grip Bench, Dips. Back: Pull-ups, Long Pulley Rows, T Bar Rows, One Arm Dumbbell Rows, Dead lifts. Legs: Squats, Hack Squats, Leg Presses, Leg Curls, Leg Extensions. Hammer Strength machines are also effective to mix things up.

I hope this is helpful. A routine like above done with a high level of intensity some TRT and good sleep is a can’t miss program for putting on size and strength. Good luck - let me know how you are doing or if you have any questions.

[quote]catfish74 wrote:
Most guys come here for help and leave once they get sorted, which is why you don’t see many “success” stories.

Personally, my day-to-day function has improved…everything from mood, sense of well-being, no more brain fog, no more emotional roller coasters, etc…all that is back to “normal”. Heck, most days, I feel pretty dang good. Blessed, honestly! As far as physical improvements, I dropped some BF (nothing dramatic by any means), and have maintained my strength. I could clean up the diet for more than a few days at a time and be sporting abs, which I’ve never had, even when playing football as a kid. I’m not at “cycle” strength levels, but I’m not all that far off from when I was at my strongest. [/quote]

Hey Catfish,

I like the word “Blessed”. I would have to agree with you…that’s how I feel too. Hope you continue to be Blessed on your T journey and in your life.

[quote]2Bstronger wrote:
EZ,

You can’t go wrong with Dorian Yates Routine. I find higher volume works better for me to add muscle mass. If you want to switch things up give this a shot:

1. Warm up 2 sets of your first exercise then do 3 to 5 exercises for 3 to 5 sets each. (large body parts like legs and back on the high end of the range and smaller body parts like biceps on the low end).

2. Rep range from 6-12 most sets should be about 10 reps to failure or 1 rep shy. Find a spotter for a couple forced reps on select exercises.

3. Workouts should never be longer than 1hr and be high intensity the entire time. Rest between 1-3 min between sets (Closer to 3min after heavy squats or other intense compound movements closer to 1min for curls and similar)

4. With TRT I now can train each bodypart once every 5-6 days. Prior to TRT I would do one bodypart a week. Depending on your recovery see what works best.

5. This is a good schedule: Day 1: Chest, Day 2: Back, Day 3: Shoulders, Day 4: Arms, Day 5: Legs, Day 6: Rest then start again. Now I just keep going and put in a rest day when I feel I need it. If you want to stay on a 7 day cycle so everything is always ht on the same day put another rest day between back and Shoulders.

6. Keep protein intake at ~1.5 grams per pound bodyweight. Take ~30 grams right after working out. I find Creatine is also helpful and take 5 grams when I get up in the morning and 5 grams after I lift.

7. Stick with the basic exercises and hit every set hard. What works… Chest: Bench Press, Flat Dumbbell Press, Incline Dumbbells. Shoulders: Seated barbell Press, Upright Rows, Shrugs, Dumbbell Overhead Presses, Dumbbell side laterals. Arms: Bar Curls, Preacher Curls, Dumbbell Curls, Triceps Extensions, Pushdowns, Close Grip Bench, Dips. Back: Pull-ups, Long Pulley Rows, T Bar Rows, One Arm Dumbbell Rows, Dead lifts. Legs: Squats, Hack Squats, Leg Presses, Leg Curls, Leg Extensions. Hammer Strength machines are also effective to mix things up.

I hope this is helpful. A routine like above done with a high level of intensity some TRT and good sleep is a can’t miss program for putting on size and strength. Good luck - let me know how you are doing or if you have any questions.[/quote]

Thanks 2B,

That looks awesome! I have been planning on reducing my weight and upping the reps a little and this looks like a great routine. I am a little afraid of injury if I keep going up in weight at the pace I have been. I like the dumbbell routines especially. I’ve got a great home gym and should be able to incorporate all of these lifts.

I like this thread! It gives me hope that I can get my HRT dialed in. I have dealt with low testosterone for several years, but I didn’t really pursue it. All of the docs I saw told me I had depression, and the only way to deal with it was with antidepressants. I took my first test measurement in 2004. I was 33 at the time and the result was 111pg/dl. I think the lab range was 249-859.

I’m not expecting miracles, but I hope to get back to a good place in my life soon. I sure could use some good feeling again, and I know my wife and kids would love to see it too! I hate the overwhelming emotion and crying spells that I have experienced!

Thanks.