T Nation

My Bench Sucks

Ok… my bench press sucks ballsack
I’m going for size and i’m debating whether to do the “bodybuilding” way or the “power” way.

I’ve tried both and for some reason i’ll get to a sticking point and i won’t be able to move it at all.
I push my shoulder blades back, chest up, shoulders back… last time i kept my elbows in… i found i didnt really get to the sticking point but is it going to help me in size as much as if i keep my elbows “out”?

FML…
but thanks :slight_smile:

Use which ever way allows you to lift more weight without pain. For most, including myself, that’s with elbows tucked at about 45 degrees.

Where are you sticking?

maybe like 2 or 3 inches away from my chest? I don’t go ALL the way down to my chest. I try to keep it an inch away maybe a fist length? Should i just load it lighter touch and touch my chest?

touch your chest, just don’t ‘bounce’ off.

also +1 for lifting ‘bodybuilder’ style.

I like elbows in, it has more in common with how I do my push ups and seems to be less rough on my elbow. might be mental, though

well maybe i’ll give it a happy medium… i can decline close grip more than i can bench… isn’t that sad?

I find a slightly narrower grip is more comfortable than if I have my hands placed on the rings; I’m short with short arms and short clavicles, so it takes some stress off of my wrists.

Also, I don’t flare my elbows at all, but I bench heavy enough for me that my chest certainly feels it.

I think you should just do what’s comfortable for you and make sure to do it heavy.

well i definitely feel it the next morning… unless that was just the incline but anyways… i don’t consider it “heavy” but its heavy for what i can do… i can only seem to get like 4 or 5 reps in and then i my muscles are just done for that set… but then i can rest for a minute and then keep knocking out 4 or 5… what is wrong with my boooodddyyyyyy
fml

[quote]Suave323 wrote:
what is wrong with my boooodddyyyyyy
fml[/quote]

Nooooooooootttthhhhhhiiiiiiinnnnggggg.

FTMBST (Fuck These My Bench Sucks Threads)

That’s all I meant. Obviously I don’t mean use a weight that’s heavy for somebody else.

[quote]Suave323 wrote:
Ok… my bench press sucks ballsack
I’m going for size and i’m debating whether to do the “bodybuilding” way or the “power” way.

I’ve tried both and for some reason i’ll get to a sticking point and i won’t be able to move it at all.
I push my shoulder blades back, chest up, shoulders back… last time i kept my elbows in… i found i didnt really get to the sticking point but is it going to help me in size as much as if i keep my elbows “out”?

FML…
but thanks :)[/quote]

Going for size? Elbows out. Problem Solved.

[quote]Suave323 wrote:
maybe like 2 or 3 inches away from my chest? I don’t go ALL the way down to my chest. I try to keep it an inch away maybe a fist length? Should i just load it lighter touch and touch my chest?[/quote]

Go all the way down or it’s not a full rep. It will be much harder if you don’t.

[quote]Suave323 wrote:
well maybe i’ll give it a happy medium… i can decline close grip more than i can bench… isn’t that sad?[/quote]

No, that isn’t sad. I’d say that 99% of people can decline close grip more then flat bench; that’s normal.

[quote]Suave323 wrote:
well i definitely feel it the next morning… unless that was just the incline but anyways… i don’t consider it “heavy” but its heavy for what i can do… i can only seem to get like 4 or 5 reps in and then i my muscles are just done for that set… but then i can rest for a minute and then keep knocking out 4 or 5… what is wrong with my boooodddyyyyyy
fml[/quote]

You will build muscle whether you do low reps with high weight, or high reps with low weight.

However, the conventional way of thinking is that to build more “size” then “strength” is to do more reps. So if you are going for size, drop the weight and do more reps.

Who cares about ego…if you can only bench 100lbs for 5 reps, DROP THE WEIGHT DOWN or do push ups.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Suave323 wrote:
well i definitely feel it the next morning… unless that was just the incline but anyways… i don’t consider it “heavy” but its heavy for what i can do… i can only seem to get like 4 or 5 reps in and then i my muscles are just done for that set… but then i can rest for a minute and then keep knocking out 4 or 5… what is wrong with my boooodddyyyyyy
fml

You will build muscle whether you do low reps with high weight, or high reps with low weight.

However, the conventional way of thinking is that to build more “size” then “strength” is to do more reps. So if you are going for size, drop the weight and do more reps.

Who cares about ego…if you can only bench 100lbs for 5 reps, DROP THE WEIGHT DOWN or do push ups.
[/quote]

lol i’m not THAT pathetic… its just i can push everything better than i can push my bench… it’s weird
lol but thanks guys I appreciate your input :slight_smile: