T Nation

My Bench Shirt is Too Tight!!!

Hi there powerlifters, every once in a while I will help a newbie powerlifter into a shirt or suit and I always hear the same shit.
“I think that they sent me the wrong size”
or
“there is no way that I can bench in that”
I just want to set the record straight, I am a competitor in the USAPL and have realized through the years that you MUST max you gear in any federation to see ultimate results, within limitations. Anyone who has ever gotten out of the grove benching and bombed a meet knows exactly what I am talking about.

I wear a Rage and it leaves me bloody, at least any good bench session.
I have seen guys try double demin and drop the weight right on their throat.
I have seen guys launch the bar so fast and far forward that they had 500lbs land on their hips.
I have also seen lifters wear a squat suit for the first time, flip the weight off their back, almost more impressive than actualy squatting it.

Deadlifters NOT be able to reach the bar!!
I just want to know some other crazy stories about lifters who try gear for the first time.
If you can add any crazy stories about yourself or others, I get a kick out of this.

Too tight is oh so right

It wasn’t me, I have never worn gear unless you thing briefs count. Well, I was the back squat for a kid that had a new squat suit on. Some strange brand, nothing I’d wear if I got a suit.

Well at first he couldn’t get it down past a quarter. I pushed on his legs with my forearms to get him to drop lower. It got him lower but not enough to hit the box. So, rerack and add 45’s. He unracks, walks back and can’t sit back, he stands up get’s frustrated and tries to sit back again. I help him hit the box as I’m getting slightly annoyed (I find it more funny as the kid didn’t listen to me on where to buy his stuff).

Well he touches the box with 415 on his back and stands up and he falls foward with more power than a NFL O-Line man drive blocking. Luckily no one got hurt. Except for the guys legs that had serious bites on them after that little experiment.

Trying to fit into a squat suit that I refuse to admit is way too small for me.

I hooked these straps over the edge of a loaded bar, I’ve already got the suit a good bit of the way up. I get the straps up and then try to just use my own body weight and wiggle into the suit.

So for about 10 minutes, I’m hanging free in the air and flailing about like some sick pinata in order to squeeze into this squat suit, hoping to god I can get into it so as to prove to all the onlookers (I have onlookers at this point) that the struggle was worth it when i squatted big.

I ended up having to leave the weight room and take the suit off, I had to settle for some briefs that I knew fit me and finish my workout.

That sucked.

I had to have 5 ppl squeeze me into my 2nd Fury.

I still have marks from wearing my Inzer Max DL from August 04’.

I also recently cut myself out of an Inzer HC, bad times (23" leg into a sz 28 HC suit = impossible to slip off).

One of my first times in my metal pro squatter with briefs. Had 495 on the bar and straps up/briefs on. Didn’t know that not getting to depth was ok.

Tried to force it, relaxed, and totally had my legs come forward and out from underneath me. Fell back with a crash luckily onto the safety pins. Tweaked my hip and knee a little but good after a while.

I do that every workout, its called the squatsuitwiggle, soon to famous in country bars.
Have you ever seen someone blow a squatsuit?

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
Trying to fit into a squat suit that I refuse to admit is way too small for me.

I hooked these straps over the edge of a loaded bar, I’ve already got the suit a good bit of the way up. I get the straps up and then try to just use my own body weight and wiggle into the suit.

So for about 10 minutes, I’m hanging free in the air and flailing about like some sick pinata in order to squeeze into this squat suit, hoping to god I can get into it so as to prove to all the onlookers (I have onlookers at this point) that the struggle was worth it when i squatted big.

I ended up having to leave the weight room and take the suit off, I had to settle for some briefs that I knew fit me and finish my workout.

That sucked.[/quote]

When did you start to like gear??

I thought you were the guy who said that they hated it and was goign to go raw or wear old school blast shirs and champions suits at the next geared meet you attend.

[quote]moonjumper wrote:
I do that every workout, its called the squatsuitwiggle, soon to famous in country bars.
Have you ever seen someone blow a squatsuit?

Ghost22 wrote:
Trying to fit into a squat suit that I refuse to admit is way too small for me.

I hooked these straps over the edge of a loaded bar, I’ve already got the suit a good bit of the way up. I get the straps up and then try to just use my own body weight and wiggle into the suit.

So for about 10 minutes, I’m hanging free in the air and flailing about like some sick pinata in order to squeeze into this squat suit, hoping to god I can get into it so as to prove to all the onlookers (I have onlookers at this point) that the struggle was worth it when i squatted big.

I ended up having to leave the weight room and take the suit off, I had to settle for some briefs that I knew fit me and finish my workout.

That sucked.

[/quote]

You are a real powerlifter!!!

[quote]tigerak02 wrote:
I had to have 5 ppl squeeze me into my 2nd Fury.

I still have marks from wearing my Inzer Max DL from August 04’.

I also recently cut myself out of an Inzer HC, bad times (23" leg into a sz 28 HC suit = impossible to slip off).
[/quote]

I have tried the Metal, too much gear for me. Since you didn’t get hurt too bad, it would have been funny to watch.
Thank heavens for safety pins.

[quote]dead_lifter5000 wrote:
One of my first times in my metal pro squatter with briefs. Had 495 on the bar and straps up/briefs on. Didn’t know that not getting to depth was ok.

Tried to force it, relaxed, and totally had my legs come forward and out from underneath me. Fell back with a crash luckily onto the safety pins. Tweaked my hip and knee a little but good after a while.[/quote]

Funny. I was wondering the same thing.

Didn’t you start a thread about minimizing gear and bragged about allegedly doing the last FL APF meet RAW even though your name wasn’t on the results?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
When did you start to like gear??

I thought you were the guy who said that they hated it and was goign to go raw or wear old school blast shirs and champions suits at the next geared meet you attend.

[/quote]

Actually, it sounds to me like he has no fucking clue how to size and put on gear.

[quote]moonjumper wrote:
You are a real powerlifter!!!

tigerak02 wrote:
I had to have 5 ppl squeeze me into my 2nd Fury.

I still have marks from wearing my Inzer Max DL from August 04’.

I also recently cut myself out of an Inzer HC, bad times (23" leg into a sz 28 HC suit = impossible to slip off).

[/quote]

I hate gear, but still use it. I train RAW 95% of the time, but when getting ready for a meet I train accordingly.
I compete USAPL because I think that they are the best orgnization for drugfrees like me and also because THEY HAVE MANY MEETS!!!
I dont know of any RAW feds that have meets here in S FL.
I do however encourage lifters that use gear, I have trained with some of the best gear lifters out there and they amazed me. I encourage all lifters.
so I hate gear and believe that raw lifters are more impressive BUT gear is here to stay and shit we needed a 1000# bench no matter what we had to do get it.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Funny. I was wondering the same thing.

Didn’t you start a thread about minimizing gear and bragged about allegedly doing the last FL APF meet RAW even though your name wasn’t on the results?

Hanley wrote:
When did you start to like gear??

I thought you were the guy who said that they hated it and was goign to go raw or wear old school blast shirs and champions suits at the next geared meet you attend.

[/quote]

One of the senior powerlifters at my gym sums it up the best: “If the weight doesn’t wanna go down, make it go down.” People are so preoccupied with the carryover most people get with suits that they forget that you have to be strong to use gear in the first place.

what lifters have you trained with?

[quote]moonjumper wrote:
I hate gear, but still use it. I train RAW 95% of the time, but when getting ready for a meet I train accordingly.
I compete USAPL because I think that they are the best orgnization for drugfrees like me and also because THEY HAVE MANY MEETS!!!
I dont know of any RAW feds that have meets here in S FL.
I do however encourage lifters that use gear, I have trained with some of the best gear lifters out there and they amazed me. I encourage all lifters.
so I hate gear and believe that raw lifters are more impressive BUT gear is here to stay and shit we needed a 1000# bench no matter what we had to do get it.

apwsearch wrote:
Funny. I was wondering the same thing.

Didn’t you start a thread about minimizing gear and bragged about allegedly doing the last FL APF meet RAW even though your name wasn’t on the results?

Hanley wrote:
When did you start to like gear??

I thought you were the guy who said that they hated it and was goign to go raw or wear old school blast shirs and champions suits at the next geared meet you attend.

[/quote]