My Basic Program: Basic Enough?

So…I do a lot of research on this site and others and let me say (as most know),there is ALOT of information out. In short, i now know what “paralysis by analysis” is all about. At this point as 25 year old beginner that wants to start lifting for overall fitness and sports performance (mountain biking), i just need a basic, solid routine that i can follow on a consistent basis (my biggest issue)until i stop seeing gains. What i came up with is this:

-split squat/straight leg dead
-push ups/bent row
-miltary press/pull up
-tri-ext/bicep curl
-ab work

The plan is to superset oppossing movement patterns and use 3 sets per exercise with either a 10-12 rep scheme or a 12/10/8 with increasing weight(Any thoughts on which would be better?)
One thing i am confused about is the use of light/med/heavy days. Maybe you all could give me some insight on that as well as letting me know if i am on the right track with my workout as a whole. thanks

I think the program is fine, not great, but fine. In terms of light and heavy days that usually also entails changing repetition schemes. I suggest you check out one of Chad Waterbury’s progs, just pick one out and do it, no need to analyze it. Best of luck.

There really is a ton of great programs on this site. Pick one and go with it. Then tweak when necessary.Not sure why newbies feel the need to design their own programs right off the bat…

Good point. I get understand the movement pattern side of things but the rep/freq/etc is something i still do not have a complete understanding of. I think i may give the TBT program a try and just DO it.

For your goals Waterbury’s TBT would be good. At this point consistency is key. A simple foundational routine would be perfect for something like mountain biking especially, in my opinion.

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
For your goals Waterbury’s TBT would be good. At this point consistency is key. A simple foundational routine would be perfect for something like mountain biking especially, in my opinion.[/quote]

Yeah, i started giving some real though to Waterburys’ TBT last night. I wanted something basic and at first glance, all those rep/set changes made me think it would all be too much;as if i would be overtraining/overcomplicatring for my goals (and consequently burning out to the point where i cannot ride the mtb bike). But after rereading it and really thinking about the program, it looks to be designed so that you DO NOT overtrain.

I think i will give it a go but i did have a few questions about certain aspects of the program so i will be starting a thread in the BaBB forum that i hope you all could check out. Thanks again