T Nation

My Baseline Diet

Baseline Diet

Ok, so for the last few months I haven't been weightlifting, I stopped around the time that final exams came around in college and didn't continue when I went to work 10 hour days as a scaffolder in McMurray, drank way to much, had a great time, but I guess everything comes at a cost, and now I need to start over.

With such a long break, I feel like I have forgotten everything I knew about Maintenance, Bulking, and Cutting weight. I feel lost in the gym and am having difficulties making a new diet to start on again. My goal is to start eating in a good way, go to the gym for a few months then weigh and measure, start from their with more advanced dieting techniques.

The Baseline Diet.

To sum up the 6 aspects and rules I want to set out in making the diet:

Meal frequency: 4-6 meals per day depending on the specific circumstances. There are exceptions.
Total caloric intake: for mass gains, a rule of thumb starting place is 16-18 cal/lb to be adjusted based on real-world body composition changes.
Fluid intake: Sufficient to generate 5 clear urinations per day, with 2 after training.

Protein intake: 1.1-1.4 g/lb for males, 1.1-1.2 g/lb for females.
Carbohydrate intake: ~45-55% of total calories (~2-3 g/lb) from a mix of starchy and fibrous carbohydrate sources, high GI carbs right after training
Fat intake: 20-25% of total calories (~0.4-0.5 g/lb).

Post Workout, Preworkout, and During Workout shakes will be taken.
ZMA will be consumed before bed. Fish oil will be consumed.

All of this information, which I read the reasoning for, is from another site. I am still uncertain about wheather(sp) or not the macronutrients taken in the Post Workout, Preworkout, and During Workout shakes should be counted in the overall daily macronutrient total, or if I should need them at all. I am also undecided on what kinds of carbs, and fat would be best when.

I want to spend some time on this diet while I learn and get a grasp of the fundamentals again. I've never really taken the time to do something simple, and after 3 years in the gym with a good amount of success, my failure to be patient with something simple has meant that I haven't had the right experience that would let me compare what works and doesn't when trying to do something supposedly better

If I can, this is what I would like to eat to get my daily fix of protien, although the diet may have to be changed to stay in the proper range when taking post, pre, and during workout shakes.

Meal One: 2 whole eggs, 4 egg white, 1/3 cup shredded 2% cheese, 1 cup 1% milk

Meal Two: Meal Two: 5 oz. chicken breast, 1/2 cup cheese

Meal Three: 8.5 oz. ground beef

Meal Four: 5 oz. canned tuna, 1/2 cup 2% cottage cheese

Meal Five: 5 oz. chicken breast, 2 cups 1% milk.

Meal Six: 1 cup 2% cottage cheese, 30 grams protein powder.

I am still in college so I am trying to keep the cost of my diet down. I would like to see the diet you have written down if it is similar to mine (its difficult putting it all together). Any advice is welcome and extremely appreciated :slight_smile:

Any help?

Help with what? The only question mark is in your last post.