My Background, Plan and Goals

Yeah, you look like you’re set up for some good gains. Looking forward to reading your log.

Today’s Diet:(Calories/Protein/Carbs/Fat)

Meal One: Oatmeal, Cheese, Apple, Tuna, Milk (750/63/61/26)
Meal Two (Post WO): Quarter gallon chocolate milk, one scoop whey (620/60/53/28)
Meal Three: 3 chicken breasts w/ olive oil, avacado, water, cheese, apple (786/65/25/47)
Meal Four: 4 hard boiled eggs, chicken breast w/ olive oil, apple, (478/46/30/28)
Meal Five: Half can tuna, peas, cheese, milk (420/38/23/16)
Meal Six: Chicken, avocado, tomato, bacon, milk, cheese, oatmeal (400/30/27/25)
Meal Seven: Cottage cheese, Peanut butter (150/30/10/10)

Total Calories: 3704 (I’m finally eating!)
Total Protein: 292 g
Total Carbs: 229 g
Total Fat: 180 g (should this be higher?)

Ok so that was my diet for the day - here is my workout:

Workout Day #2 (Legs)

Superset #1:
Front Squat: 5x100,5x100,5x100,5x100,5x105
DB Lunges: 5x50,5x50,5x50,5x50,5x50

Superset #2:
Leg Extension: 5x130,5x140,5x155,5x170,5x190
Lying Leg Curls: 5x95,5x115,5x120,5x130,5x135

Superset #3:
Sumo Deadlift: 5x105,5x115,5x125,5x135,5x145
Romanian D-Lift: 5x105,5x115,5x125,5x135,5x145

This was my first time front squatting and dead lifting and i loved them both especially the deadlifting! Becuase this was my first time I tried to concentrate on form and probably did not go as heavy as I could handle - next time I will push my self harder now that I have the proper form learned.

Today was a rest day so here is my diet info:

Meal One: Oatmeal, Cheese, Milk, peas (541/32/56/21)
Meal Two: Protein Shake (120/24/6/0)
Meal Three: 3 Chicken breasts, avocado, olive oil, (674/73/10/38)
Meal Four: Bacon, bannana, apple, walnuts (442/14/47/22)
Meal Five: Protein Shake (220/31/6/8)
Meal Six: 5 eggs, bannana, peas, cheese, milk (744/52/44/40)
Meal Seven: Cottage Cheese, PB, cinamon (150/30/10/10)

Total Calories: 2895 (good for a rest day?)
Total Protein: 232 g
Total Carbs: 179 g
Total Fat: 139 g

Today’s Meals:

Meal One: Oatmeal, Cheese, Apple, 5 eggs, Milk
Meal Two (Post WO): Quarter gallon chocolate milk, one scoop whey
Meal Three: 3 chicken breasts w/ olive oil, avacado, water, cheese, banana
Meal Four: Can of tuna, green beans w/ olive oil, mango, cheese, milk
Meal Five: 4 chicken breasts, cheese, milk, avocado
Meal Six: Steak, cheese, milk, cucumber, peas
Meal Seven: Cottage cheese, Peanut butter

Total Calories: 3835
Total Protein: 296 g
Total Carbs: 238 g
Total Fat: 189 g

Workout Day #3 (Biceps / Triceps)

Superset #1:
Barbell Curl: 5x70,5x70,5x70,5x70,5x70
DB Curl: 5x35,5x35,5x30,5x30,5x30

Superset #2:
Preacher Curl (EZ Bar + Weights): 5x45,5x45,5x45,5x45,5x45
Hammer Curl: 5x35,5x30,5x30,5x30,5x30

Superset #3:
Weighted Dips: 5xBW,5xBW+25,5xBW+35,5xBW+35,5xBW+35
Decline Triceps Ext (Barbell): 5x30,5x50,5x60,5x60,5x60

Superset #4:
Lying Triceps Ext (Barbell): 5x60,5x60,5x50,5x50,5x50
Cable Pressdown: 5x42.5,5x47.5,5x47.5,5x47.5,5x47.5

Since I started this new routine and new diet I am noticing a few things:

• I feel much more energized during the day
  • I HATE off days and I look foward to my workouts
  • I love the food im eating and its great for me

Tomorrow’s an off day then its delts on Sat.

Do some pullups instead of all those damn curls. You’re skinny enough you should be able to start doing weighted pullups pretty much right away. You’ll get a lot more out of them. If you really want to get a good pump going pause at the top and squeeze your biceps really hard for about 2 seconds then drop down and do the next rep.

alright ill try and work those in - I was just following the OVT workout and the curls were in it so thats why I had them in but ill definitly add those in to my routine - thanks for the advice

I think for superset #1 maybe I should put in weighted pullups instead of barball curls? is that a good idea?

Today’s Meals: (Rest Day)

Meal One: Oatmeal w/ PB, Mango, Cheese, 3 eggs, Milk (860/52/70/41)
Meal Two: Protein Shake (120/24/0/0)
Meal Three: 2 Bananas, Tuna, Green beans w/ Olive Oil, 2 Cheeses, Milk (730/44/60/31)
Meal Four: Protein Shake w/ Milk, Whey, PB, Walnuts (510/41/18/31)
Meal Five: 3 Chicken Breasts, Apple, Milk, Cheese (400/20/23/21)
Meal Six: Cottage Cheese, Peanut Butter (150/30/10/10)

Calories: 2770
Protein: 221 g
Carbs: 181 g
Fat: 130 g (should probably be higher right?)

[quote]beginner1991 wrote:
Ok, so before I post any pictures or set any goals I just want to start off by saying - I’m not ripped, I’m not big and I know that - so all I want from this thread is some helpful advice to help me get where I want to be so thanks in advance for all of your help.

Im 16 years old. I started “lifting” maybe a year ago when my baseball team had team workouts. I went to these twice a week - but they didn’t really entail much serious lifting, more like speed and agility exersices more than anything.

Then I decided to hit the weights, I have a bench, assorted dumbbells and various other things in my basement and I started working on a straight forward routine - just trying to get a little bigger. After a while, and a tiny bit of progress I began not getting any stronger, and ran out of weight in my basement to lift.

This was when I decided to get a gym membership. I started lifting on and off at my local gym a few months ago but It wasnt until about one month ago that I really started getting serious about my diet and my routine. I read up about some things, and eventually came up with a workout and diet plan I thought would help.

Current Age: 16
Current Weight: 150 (I know, not big enough)
Current Height: 6’0’’

The Workout I have been doing for the past month is a 6 day routine where I do the following:

Monday: Chest / Back (Bench, Flys, Pushups, Incline, Lower Back Extensions, Rows, DB Rows)
Tuesday: Biceps, Triceps, Delts (Preacher curls, cable curls, tricep pushdowns, V pushdowns, skull crushers, upright rows, DB lat raises)
Wednsday: Legs (Squats, Leg Press, Leg Extensions, Leg curls, Lunges, standing calf raises, seated calf raises)
Thursday: Chest / Back (same as Monday)
Friday: Biceps, Triceps, Delts (Same as Tuesday)
Saturday: Legs (Same as Wednsday)
Sunday: Day off

Some Numbers:
Bench - 150 (3x6)
Squats - I just recently started so Im still trying to find the right weights

Along with this routine - which I now know aftre reading various things on the site, is very lacking, I also decided to start on a diet plan. I know you will all find this pathetic but I wanted to lose body fat so my abs would be more defined. I started eating around 1700-2000 calories a day, limiting carbs and maximizing protein. With me being 16 I cant totally control my eating environment but I am doing my best. A typical day for me is something like this:

Meal 1: Egg whites, wheatberry toast, water
Meal 2 (Post WO): Whey Protein, water
Meal 3: Chicken, water
Meal 4: Egg whites, onions, water
Meal 5: Chicken or tuna, water
Meal 6: More egg whites or some form of protein, wheatberry toast or wheat bread
Meal 7: Sometimes I’ll have a can of tuna later at night

With all of this info, now I want to lay out my goals and then I’ll show you my pictures.

1. I want to get bigger while still remaining toned, and cut with well defined abs
  2. I want to drop my BFP if possible
  3. I want to get tan … I know this site isnt about that but if anyone has tips or w/e I’m open
  4. I want to bring my legs up to speed
  5. I want to have bigger, well defined muscles but I don’t want to look like a body builder, I’m doing this more for aesteics not for performance.

So, whatever you guys can help me with I would greatly appreciate it. I need help with my:

1. Routine
  2. Diet (to lose BF but gain muscle)
  3. Tan (if you can)
  4. Form for new exersices
  5. Possible supplements etc.

Alright now that you know what I’m looking for here are a few pictures of my self at the moment … try not to laugh.

[/quote]

Phill already gave you some great advice dude, but I’ll see if I can throw in some input as well.

1. For Aesthetics, CT’s program are a good choice, as are Waterbury’s. I’d look into Chad’s “Total Body Training”, which is just a three days per week program. Also, Dan John’s One Lift A Day program is awesome.

2. For Nutrition, Look up Berardi’s 7 Habits. Also, read Tony Gentilcore’s latest article. At 6 feet tall and only around 150, Also ready Cy Wilson’s article on Nutrition for Skinny Bastards. Basically, get between 40-60 grams of protein per meal, and eat something every 2-4 hours.

I realize school makes that difficult, but always eat breakfast, lunch, and then right when you’re done school, try to switch over to eating something every 2 hours.

1. For Tan, well, just get some sun dude.

2. For form, get someone at your gym, hopefully a good trainer, to show you the form on things you’re unsure of.

3. For supplements, at 16 years old, I’d use Metabolic Drive Complete, Surge, Creatine, and BCAA’s all made by Biotest. Stuff like Spike, HOT-ROX Extreme, etc., hold off on until you’re 18.

thanks man i appreciate the input - ive been trying out CT’s OVT program and im loving it so far - ive started getting 200+ grams of protein, and 3000+ calories a day on my new diet - when school starts I plan on eating breakfast, and bringing something to either snack on or eat between classes or during a free period so that I can continue to eat every 2-4 hours.

Currently I’m using just Whey protein which from what I understand is something like Metabolic Drive?

So would you reccomend adding creatine, BCAA’s and Surge somewhere in there as well? Lemme’ know when during the day etc I would use all of them and Ill definitly look into adding them in.

Thanks again for all the help.

I could also switch from Whey to Metabolic Drive or Grow! or whatever protein source you would recomend - I’ll wait till you reply back to look into getting all of it.

So pretty much what group of supplements should I use along with my workout routine and diet? Ive seen alot about BCAAs, Beta-7, Creatine, Whey

I pretty much would like a group of supps that would help me bulk up and gain size, while perhaps maybe including something to give me extra energy pre-workout. Any help would be much appreciated - thanks.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1518229

This should give you a good start on supplements.

[quote]novagreg wrote:

1. For Aesthetics, CT’s program are a good choice, as are Waterbury’s. I’d look into Chad’s “Total Body Training”, which is just a three days per week program. Also, Dan John’s One Lift A Day program is awesome.

[/quote]

sorry not meaning to be rude, but i don’t think that Dan John’s One Lift a Day program was meant entirely for aesthetics… while it might not be completely bad for aesthetics in my opinion it is LESS than optimal.

thanks man i appreciate the input - ive been trying out CT’s OVT program and im loving it so far - ive started getting 200+ grams of protein, and 3000+ calories a day on my new diet - when school starts I plan on eating breakfast, and bringing something to either snack on or eat between classes or during a free period so that I can continue to eat every 2-4 hours.

Currently I’m using just Whey protein which from what I understand is something like Metabolic Drive?

So would you reccomend adding creatine, BCAA’s and Surge somewhere in there as well? Lemme’ know when during the day etc I would use all of them and Ill definitly look into adding them in.

Thanks again for all the help.[/quote]

The Whey only protein isn’t quite like Metabolic Drive Complete, which gives you a blend of primarily slow and some fast acting proteins, which is what you want. If you’re going to use the weight, have one to two scoops immediately upon waking up, along with something like Orange Juice, and then have you first regular meal about 45-60 minutes later.

You could use 2-3 scoops per serving of Metabolic Drive 2-3 times per day, whenever it’s convenient.

The BCAA’s you can use in between meals, just follow the directions on the bottle.

Use the Surge (if using two servings), One scoop right before, one scoop during training, and two scoops right after training. Afterwards, about 30-45 minutes later you should be ready for your Post Workout Meal.

The Creatine should be taken with your last two scoops of Surge directly after training, if using the creatine monohydrate. If you’re using a fat soluble creatine, like an Ethyl Ester, it doesn’t matter as much when you take it.

Take Flameout, one pill (total of 4 daily) per meal, but don’t take it at breakfast.

Todays Meals:

Meal One: Oatmeal, Peanut Butter, Apple, Cheese, Milk, 3 eggs
Meal Two: 1/4 Gallon Chocolate Milk w/ 1 Scoop Whey
Meal Three: Can of Tuna, Cheese, Green Beans w/ Olive Oil, Milk
Meal Four: 3 Chicken Breasts, Cheese, Apple, Milk
Meal Five: Protein Shake (milk, whey, PB)
Meal Six: Steak, Green Beans w/ Olive Oil, Cheese
Meal Seven: Cottage Cheese, Peanut Butter

Calories: 3891
Protein: 287
Carbs: 256
Fat: 191

ok and thanks for the advie on supplements guys - Brant I read that article and looked at the stack for building muscle ans it seems somewhat similar to what novagreg reccomended. As far as Metabolic Drive and Surge go - it seems that if I use them as novagreg said, I would go through a whole tub in 8 ish days … and it isnt so cheap either - let me know if im wrong about this but I think i did the math right.

So far Im getting this for a good supp. stack:

BCAA’s (between meals) - 1 tub (would last me a month + (currently not in stock)

Creatine (after workout, 5g a day) - 1 tub (would last me a while)

Surge (before, during, and after workout) - 1 tub = 32 scoops = 8 days!) and this is 30 bucks a tub as well…

Metabolic Drive (4-6 scoobs during the day) - 1 tub = 45 scoops = 8 days!) this is also almost 30 bucks a tub…

Beta - 7 (would you recommend this?)

Flameout - (currently not in stock but should i get this?)

Carbolin 19 - (would you recommend this?)

Get back to me whenever you can - I’m just trying to get all of this supplement buisiness sorted out now that my workout and diet are fixed - I can spend some money on these things but I dont want to take it too overboard - Just what is vital and very helpful to gaining size and keeping it. Thanks.

This may be a double post so my bad if it is.

Here is today’s workout:

Workout Day #4:

Superset #1
Military Press: 5x65,5x65,5x70,5x70,5x75
Incline DB Lateral Raise: 5x10,5x10,5x15,5x15,5x15

Superset #2
Alternate DB Shoulder Press: 5x27.5,5x30,5x30,5x30,5x30
Cable Front Raise: 5x17.5,5x17.5,5x17.5,5x17.5,5x17.5

Superset #3
Seated Cable Rows to Neck: 5x27.5,5x27.5,5x35,5x35,5x35
Incline Rear Delt Raise: 5x10,5x10,5x10,5x10,5x10

And again, thanks in advance for the supp. help.

ok and thanks for the advie on supplements guys - Brant I read that article and looked at the stack for building muscle ans it seems somewhat similar to what novagreg reccomended. As far as Metabolic Drive and Surge go - it seems that if I use them as novagreg said, I would go through a whole tub in 8 ish days … and it isnt so cheap either - let me know if im wrong about this but I think i did the math right.

So far Im getting this for a good supp. stack:

BCAA’s (between meals) - 1 tub (would last me a month + (currently not in stock)

Creatine (after workout, 5g a day) - 1 tub (would last me a while)

Surge (before, during, and after workout) - 1 tub = 32 scoops = 8 days!) and this is 30 bucks a tub as well…

Metabolic Drive (4-6 scoobs during the day) - 1 tub = 45 scoops = 8 days!) this is also almost 30 bucks a tub…

Beta - 7 (would you recommend this?)

Flameout - (currently not in stock but should i get this?)

Carbolin 19 - (would you recommend this?)

Get back to me whenever you can - I’m just trying to get all of this supplement buisiness sorted out now that my workout and diet are fixed - I can spend some money on these things but I dont want to take it too overboard - Just what is vital and very helpful to gaining size and keeping it. Thanks.[/quote]

I think Novagreg was a little exuberant in his recommendations. At your size I see absoluately no reason you’d need to consume 4-9 scoops of Metabolic Drive and 4 scoops of Surge per workout day. That’d be somewhere between 200 and 300g of protein before you’ve even eaten any real food.

I really don’t see that’d you need more than maybe 1.5 scoops of Surge per workout (1/2 scoop during, 1 scoop following) and use Metabolic Drive as needed between meals.

Don’t worry about the BETA-7 or the Carbolin 19. Flameout is basically a high-quality fish oil with some CLA added in. It’s a great supplement, but it won’t make or break your progress. I’d actually recommend a fish oil supplement whether Flameout or another brand.

Thanks alot for the input Wimpy. This is what I am now thinking of:

BCAAs (use as directed on bottle)
Surge
Metabolic Drive
Creatine
Fishoil (when do I take this?)

With your advie Wimpy my stack now looks alot more affordable and I think Im gonna try it out - so thanks for all your help guys. Oh and btw - about the BETA-7 and Carbolin 19 … what exactly would that do for me? And should I move up to using that once I progress a little more?