My Attempt at Writing an Accumulation Phase

Yes, I know this is a “critique my routine” thread. I swore that I would never make one of these. I figured I would dump it in the beginner section. Thank you for reading in advance.

I am going to be coming back from in injury soon (strained low back and left shoulder). I need to work on form, and bring up my weight.

I have never done any form of block periodization, but I figured that I would take a shot at coming up with my own. I am not going to restart 5/3/1. (I ran it for 3 years, and I was never disciplined enough to hold back on the AMRAP sets and volume, which has caused me several “forced deloads.”)

Here is my proposed split/progression for my starting accumulation phase (volume and weight gain).

Day 1
Squat up to 3 straight sets (comp lift)
Stiff Leg Deadlift 5x10 with 50% of DL TM (assistance)
Face Pull 5x10

Day 2
Bench Press up to 3 straight sets (comp lift)
Close Grip Bench Press 5x10 with 50% of BP TM (assistance)
Dumbbell Row 5x10 (last set will be 10+)
Shrug 3x10

Day 3
Deadlift up to 3 straight sets (comp lift)
Safety/Box/Hack Squat 5x10 with 50% of BP TM (assistance)
Dumbbell Rear Lateral Raise 5x10

Day 4
Bench Press up to 3 straight sets (comp lift)
Standing Press with 5x10 30% of BP TM (assistance)
Chin Up 5x10 at BW
Chest Supported Row 3x10

My top sets percentages in each cycle will be:
Wave 1 - 3x5 with 85% of TM
Wave 2 - 3x3 with 90% of TM
Wave 3 - 3x1 with 95% of TM
Deload every 6 weeks
TM will increase as tolerated. (So if I destroy all lifts on 3x3 week, I can add 5 lbs to all TM before starting 3x1 week.)

My training maxes will jump 50 lbs in each lift somewhere between 10 weeks and 10 months.

Please keep in mind that I am coming back from injury, and that I am going to be re-covering a lot of ground. (Example: my best squat ever is 5x370 beltless, my TM is going to start at 350 on squat.)

Now I admit that I may not have a great understanding of block periodization (this programming might be horrible).

My plan for transmutation is to drop down to 2 top sets, ditch the volume for assistance and increase intensity there. BB type work will be drastically reduced.

For realization, I will go down to 1 top set, reduce assistance dramatically, and ditch all remaining BB type work.

Ok, this thead has over 200 views, and no replies.

What happened?

Is the program ok, and nobody has any critique to offer?

Should I have avoided asking about block periodization in the beginner’s section?

Is it a TLDR?

Whats up?

Yeah, it’s too “advanced” of a question for Beginners. Powerlifting is a better place for it.

I know you posted about the new Sheiko templates. Why not do that?

Since your problem seems to be pushing too hard at high intensities, maybe a few months spent with the 3 month 3 day program would be a good place to start for now. If I remember right from looking at the templates, there’s a ton of volume without going very high in intensity. That would give you a ton of technique practice so you’re less likely to hurt yourself again (because your form has improved)… but still enough work that you don’t feel like you’re wasting your time.

Just a thought.

Personally, I’ve not needed block periodization, so at best I can only talk theoretically about it. Also, you may want to take a look at Zatsiorsky’s book (google “science and practice of strength training pdf”) and see what you can learn from that.

I like what you have here but the one thing that looks a worry is high intensity Barbell Flat Bench pressing twice per week with your injured shoulder. Flat Bench pressing is hard on shoulders. Ways around this are to use a low incline on the 2nd day or even switch to dumbbells low incline on the 2nd day at least till your shoulder gets better.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Yeah, it’s too “advanced” of a question for Beginners. Powerlifting is a better place for it.

I know you posted about the new Sheiko templates. Why not do that?

Since your problem seems to be pushing too hard at high intensities, maybe a few months spent with the 3 month 3 day program would be a good place to start for now. If I remember right from looking at the templates, there’s a ton of volume without going very high in intensity. That would give you a ton of technique practice so you’re less likely to hurt yourself again (because your form has improved)… but still enough work that you don’t feel like you’re wasting your time.

Just a thought.

Personally, I’ve not needed block periodization, so at best I can only talk theoretically about it. Also, you may want to take a look at Zatsiorsky’s book (google “science and practice of strength training pdf”) and see what you can learn from that.[/quote]

Finally! A post!

I am finding that AMRAP sets are not for me. I get all fired up and take it way too far most of the time. I need very strict regulation, or I get carried away.

Secretly I want to run Sheiko, but I don’t know how I will tolerate the volume. It is a lot more volume than what I have written here.

It has definitely been on my radar though.

Thanks for commenting man.

[quote]Angus1 wrote:
I like what you have here but the one thing that looks a worry is high intensity Barbell Flat Bench pressing twice per week with your injured shoulder. Flat Bench pressing is hard on shoulders. Ways around this are to use a low incline on the 2nd day or even switch to dumbbells low incline on the 2nd day at least till your shoulder gets better. [/quote]

Great recommendation on the dumbbell benching!

I will take it into account. My training maxes will be very, very low though, so I don’t see this being a big issue until later on when I have to tap into higher percentages of my actual max. I do like the recommendation though, because I feel like dumbbell benching can help me bring up my overall pressing musculature.

Incline pressing irritates my shoulders as well (and in all honesty may be what started my shoulder issue).

Thanks for the post!

[quote]trivium wrote:

[quote]Angus1 wrote:
I like what you have here but the one thing that looks a worry is high intensity Barbell Flat Bench pressing twice per week with your injured shoulder. Flat Bench pressing is hard on shoulders. Ways around this are to use a low incline on the 2nd day or even switch to dumbbells low incline on the 2nd day at least till your shoulder gets better. [/quote]

I will take it into account. My training maxes will be very, very low though, so I don’t see this being a big issue until later on when I have to tap into higher percentages of my actual max. I do like the recommendation though, because I feel like dumbbell benching can help me bring up my overall pressing musculature.

Incline pressing irritates my shoulders as well (and in all honesty may be what started my shoulder issue).

Thanks for the post![/quote]

I’d suggest making the 2nd days Benching into Spoto Presses. Candito does that, and allows you to basically get practice with comp Bench form while getting ‘more’ out of lower weights.

I have the same tendency as you (over-hype for AMRAP sets, run myself into the ground). Getting someone to help me with programming has been extremely beneficial. The Ed Coan routine is a program I liked because it pushed me without giving me much of an opportunity to kill myself.

[quote]trivium wrote:

I injured my shoulder in June, and now I have found that if I do incline or overhead pressing, I need to use dumbbells to allow my grip to be in a more neutral position. Also, I recommend How to Shoulder Rehab - Diesel Crew - Muscle Building, Athletic Development, Strength Training, Grip Strength for shoulder issues.

It looks like you’re basically doing 3x5/3/1.

I do this sometimes as its a good way to get in more work with a higher percentage of my TM than with just the 5/3/1 sets, but I’ve never done it consistently over time.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]trivium wrote:

I injured my shoulder in June, and now I have found that if I do incline or overhead pressing, I need to use dumbbells to allow my grip to be in a more neutral position. Also, I recommend How to Shoulder Rehab - Diesel Crew - Muscle Building, Athletic Development, Strength Training, Grip Strength for shoulder issues. [/quote]

I looked at that a long time ago. I did incorporate several aspects of it into my own rehab protocol.

Thanks for the post man. I will definitely consider the DB versions of OHP. I haven’t been back to OHP since dropping it.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:
It looks like you’re basically doing 3x5/3/1.

I do this sometimes as its a good way to get in more work with a higher percentage of my TM than with just the 5/3/1 sets, but I’ve never done it consistently over time.[/quote]

Basically, but I am not doing the AMRAP sets as I have no discipline with them.

I am replacing that intensity with two extra sets.

By doing so I am hoping to hit more reps (practice form), with less in-workout fatigue (better form on those reps). More reps also helps me to adhere to Prilepin’s table.

I haven’t analyzed the INOL yet though. That will be coming when I have more free time.

The number of LBS moved in each workout should be sufficient to promote hypertrophy/weight gain as well.

Check out the final template here…
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/matt_rhodes_531_hybrid?id=5302657&pageNo=1

Generally speaking for an accumulation phase you would expect a bit more volume and reps on the assistance work say 5x20 for the final exercise and occasionally throw in some direct arm and hamstring work. Otherwise what you posted is fine.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Check out the final template here…
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_strength/matt_rhodes_531_hybrid?id=5302657&pageNo=1

Generally speaking for an accumulation phase you would expect a bit more volume and reps on the assistance work say 5x20 for the final exercise and occasionally throw in some direct arm and hamstring work. Otherwise what you posted is fine.[/quote]

Thanks for the post man. I know that you know your stuff, so the fact that I got close according to your standards makes me happy.

I will go over that thread with a fine tooth comb when I get some free time.

Thanks for the help!