T Nation

My Aching Knee

i all, first post here and hoping I can get some reflections from experienced "old timers."

I'm 41, athletic for most of my life (with a left ACL repair in college to show for it) but only really lifting heavy for the last 3 years.

Been running 5/3/1 for the past 7 months, but end up getting thwarted by patello-femoral pain after a couple of weeks of squatting. I just took a 5 week break to do Dan John's 10k KB swing challenge (and my knee felt fine), but after 3 squat workouts, knee pain is back--it limits both the lifts and turns into a wicked case of "theater knee" when sitting for any length of time.

I've had janky knees my whole life and so I think I have been in long-term vicious cycle of weak quads leading to bad knees to weak quads, etc.
(As an example of the imbalance my recent rep maxes were Deadlift 320x4 vs Squat 195x8)

I'm thinking I need to take a long break from squating. My idea was to keep running 5/3/1 full body, but replacing the squats with additional glute work (bridges and hip thrusts). When totally pain free, I would introduce goblet squats for sets of 10 and keep working up on weight until I was using 100 DB, and only then start squatting again.

My concern is that I am continuing to strengthen my posterior chain at the expense of my quads, so wondering if this would be an appropriate application of eccentric sets of leg press or leg extension?

I have been doing hip mobility work, foam rolling, and ART as well.

Has anyone else dealt successfully with chronic pattelo-femoral pain, and if so what suggestions might you have?

Thanks for the replies.

How wide are you squatting and how deep? I would not say that you have a discrepancy between your dead and squat if your squatting to depth.

[quote]bulldog9899 wrote:
How wide are you squatting and how deep? I would not say that you have a discrepancy between your dead and squat if your squatting to depth.[/quote]

Squatting to parallel with heels about 1.4x hip width. Low bar position.