Hi, This is the start of my new training log.
I just turned 50 last month, and I returned to the gym in earnest this past summer after an extended break to heal from a minor injury, so getting back into it has been fun and exciting as well as a royal pain in the arse.
A little about me:
- I’m an engineer and systems analyst by training and trade, science heavy and a statistical nerd. Sorry in advance.
- I swam as a kid up through college and was pretty good, always ripped, always super-cardio capable, and super skinny, 155 lbs at <10%bf at 19. Hard gainer was a fact, a consequence of both genetics and my chosen sport.
- 11 years US Army, running 5 miles 4x/week on pavement didn’t do my knees any good, but I’m not as bad as some. Always fit, always maxed it, remained <12%bf at a high of 195 lbs.
- Started serious weight training as a newb at 25 during my 1 year Korea tour, went from 155 to 185 and around 12%, continued to train to reach my 195@<12% best shape of my life at 29 y/o, which I continued until about 2000 when I got out, started a family, started civilian life, and started getting out of shape.
- At 36 went back to college, took a weightlifting class just to get back into the gym after a 6 year break. went from 215 at about 27% to 205 at about 17% over 18 months, almost like newb gains again. Coach/trainer/instructor measured with pincers.
- At 42 suffered minor back pull and near simultaneous ab strain. No real damage, but as I was approaching burnout already, that was all I needed to “take a break” that basically lasted 7 1/2 years. Went back to the gym occasionally since then, never really serious, consistent, or dedicated.
- At 49 was 242 @ 34%bf. Saw my own picture and decided I needed a change. New Year’s resolution didn’t go well. Luckily I got the flu, lasted 6 weeks, couldn’t eat much, lost 15 lbs.
- May 2019 started walking after work. June started walking early instead, made time for the gym after work. Now up to a 5 miler at a 14:30 pace. Was doing very beginner gym time, 45-60 minutes, medium/light weights, 10-15 reps, 3-4 sets, whole body 3x/week.
- October 2019. Now. Started my “Phase 3” training. 217 lbs at 25%bf. This is the start of my log.