T Nation

My 50/20 plan

Here is my new 50/20 plan, starting today:

On the 50/20 movements I’ll be using 3-5 reps per set, never to failure. When the goal of 50 reps in twenty minutes is met, I will add weight.

I might substitute some sandbag stuff on days 1 and 3. Seems like it might be fun.

Day 1
50/20
A1- Belt Squat
A2- Standing DB Press

Accessory
B- GM’s 3x8-12
C- Incline Rear Delt Raises (Prone)

Day 2
50/20
A1- Pull-ups
A2- Dips

Accessory
B- CG Bench 3x8-12
C- Hammer curls 3x8-12
D- Cuff Work

Day 3
50/20
A- Pin Pulls
B- Trap Bar Farmer’s Walks

Accessory
C- DB Skull Crushers 3x8-12
D- Neck Work

Hey WTF - thats sounds like a great plan - may try that one my self. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck!

Thanks. These workouts seem like they’re going to be fun, a much overlooked aspect IMO.

I held back on the weight for the first workout so I wouldn’t bury myself right off the bat, and I’m glad I did! Used only about 50% of what I’d normally lift. I’m not terribly sore or anything, but two days later I still feel it.

I was itching to train yesterday, so I did some wheelbarrow walks. Those are pretty cool too. I loaded 200lbs in the bucket and went for a ten minute stroll. Way more fun than the treadmill.

Today is pull-up/dip day; I love that combination. If it doesn’t rain, I might even bring the dip/chin station out back and get some fresh air.

[quote]Patch wrote:

Hey WTF - thats sounds like a great plan - may try that one my self. Let us know how it goes.

Good luck![/quote]

Sounds great - Just to clarify - is it 50 reps of each exercise within 20 mins or a combined total of 50 reps for both exercises? I reckon the former and not the latter.

One of my fafourite fun work outs is pick 4-6 good “money” exercises…
Bench Press
Deadlifts
Chins
Squats
Military Press
Bent over rows

Load up with around 10-12 rep max.

Perform 50 reps of each exercise.

Heres the clincher…say you manage 12 reps of the first exercise, dont just rest a while and then go at the first exercise again, but go and knock off a few reps of the second exercise, then maybe back to the first then onto the third until all exercises are completed.

You could incorporate the dice of truth…ie throw a six you gotta squat, throw a three its bench press time etc.

And yep - that chin and dip combo is a really good one! Are you chin and dip numbers completely different? Do you use weight to even it out?

Good luck
Patch.

[quote]Patch wrote:
Sounds great - Just to clarify - is it 50 reps of each exercise within 20 mins or a combined total of 50 reps for both exercises? I reckon the former and not the latter.

One of my favourite fun work outs is pick 4-6 good “money” exercises…
Bench Press
Deadlifts
Chins
Squats
Military Press
Bent over rows

Load up with around 10-12 rep max.

Perform 50 reps of each exercise.

Heres the clincher…say you manage 12 reps of the first exercise, dont just rest a while and then go at the first exercise again, but go and knock off a few reps of the second exercise, then maybe back to the first then onto the third until all exercises are completed.

You could incorporate the dice of truth…ie throw a six you gotta squat, throw a three its bench press time etc.

And yep - that chin and dip combo is a really good one! Are you chin and dip numbers completely different? Do you use weight to even it out?

Good luck
Patch.[/quote]

Great Workout but sounds alot like EDT/Charles Staley works which are great by the way.
I’m 51 have been lifting for 37 years.The Wheelbarrow is a great cardio workout. Was introduced to by Dr.Mike Hartle(Mike Robertson works with him) i help with the strength conditioning of a High School football team and they don’t look forward to the 15 minutes of pushing the wheelbarrow

[quote]Patch wrote:
Sounds great - Just to clarify - is it 50 reps of each exercise within 20 mins or a combined total of 50 reps for both exercises? I reckon the former and not the latter.
[/quote]

Correct, I’m going for 50 of each. No reason not to make the number 40, 60, or whatever though.

I need a little more weight on the dips to even things out.

Never thought my old man would be right when he said manual labour was just as good as training if not better - how I scoffed in my youth! I use a sled 2-3 days a week for 40-60 minutes for CV…gives me an excuse for being outside away from the gym and is a whole lot more interesting than traditional aerobic activities like tradmill and stationary bike.

I’m off to find a wheelbarrow 'couse that sounds great fun. What sort of load are you using?

[quote]Patch wrote:
Never thought my old man would be right when he said manual labour was just as good as training if not better - how I scoffed in my youth! I use a sled 2-3 days a week for 40-60 minutes for CV…gives me an excuse for being outside away from the gym and is a whole lot more interesting than traditional aerobic activities like tradmill and stationary bike.

I’m off to find a wheelbarrow 'couse that sounds great fun. What sort of load are you using?[/quote]

I just loaded it up with 200lbs of free weights. My goal was to get ten minutes of walking, then increase the load.

Make sure you get a metal wheelbarrow. The plastic ones get trashed real quick.

[quote]wtf wrote:
Patch wrote:
Never thought my old man would be right when he said manual labour was just as good as training if not better - how I scoffed in my youth! I use a sled 2-3 days a week for 40-60 minutes for CV…gives me an excuse for being outside away from the gym and is a whole lot more interesting than traditional aerobic activities like tradmill and stationary bike.

I’m off to find a wheelbarrow 'couse that sounds great fun. What sort of load are you using?

I just loaded it up with 200lbs of free weights. My goal was to get ten minutes of walking, then increase the load.

Make sure you get a metal wheelbarrow. The plastic ones get trashed real quick.[/quote]
200lbs is a good start and yes a metal barrow is best. I think if you contacted Mike Robertson he could give you some insight into a few different workouts to use for the wheelbarrow. Figure 8’s are my favorite.