My 5 X 5 Plan

[quote]Standndeliver wrote:
Any help/info/crit welcome!

I have very limited time to workout, so my plan is to simply keep lifting a weight until I can do a 5 X 5. So, for ex, suppose I can do 5 X 3 with 325 in the BP, but only get 4 reps on set number 4. I’ll stay with that weight until I can do 5 X 5.

Monday: Squats Wed: BP Fri: DL

I work about 14 hous a day, 6 days a week, but there is a gym in the same strip mall where I have my business.

Please, any other ideas?[/quote]

For your situation, I would recommend you doing the complete 5x5 routine. If you can only bench 325 5x3, on the third set take off 5-10lbs, and continue to finish up the 5x5.

[quote]Hankey wrote:
Standndeliver wrote:

I have very limited time to workout, so my plan is to simply keep lifting a weight until I can do a 5 X 5. So, for ex, suppose I can do 5 X 3 with 325 in the BP, but only get 4 reps on set number 4. I’ll stay with that weight until I can do 5 X 5.

I work about 14 hous a day, 6 days a week, but there is a gym in the same strip mall where I have my business.

Please, any other ideas?

For your situation, I would recommend you doing the complete 5x5 routine. If you can only bench 325 5x3, on the third set take off 5-10lbs, and continue to finish up the 5x5.[/quote]
actually it would be beter to lower it to a weight where he can do all 5x5 and then move up from there

Derek pay attention to what standndeliver is doing… he is doing 5x5 only once a week. Look at his schedule, his recovery is gonna be eriously hampered, so it is better for him to lower the volume of sets.

I don’t think volume is so important, but if you do, that’s you. For instance, there a ton of ways to work the 5X5, but you do know that I presume. The classic 5X5 you mentioned is actually a misnomer, as it is actually 1X5 as there is only one big work set. This is a good method to build muscle. The type of training I say is inferior is where you do 5 work sets. 2X8 is just an example

[quote]Player wrote:
The 5X5 program is pretty much overrated. [/quote]

Remember this: When you condemn a program out of hand as being pointless, you leave yourself open for being called out about it.

You wrote “the 5x5 program” which normally means (to anyone with any kind of training history at least) that you mean a version of Bill Starr/Madcow/Pendlay/Rippetoe’s 5x5, not some version someone pulls out of thier ass.

I agree that the OP is saying he’s going to to squat once per week and I kinda missed that. But when you went on to call the 5x5 program pointless, I had to dig deeper.

Man I already said I exagerated when I said Pointless

[quote]Player wrote:
Man I already said I exagerated when I said Pointless[/quote]

I realize that. I was just explaining why I had to dig deeper in the beginning. And I already said THAT as well.

I prefer 3x8 as the goal rep&set for each exercise. I did not want to do 5 sets either for time sake, but 3 is alright. The workload is around the same. For instance 5x5=25 reps and also 3x8=24 thats 1 rep difference.

Anyways the intensity is there for it to work good for strength purposes. What I do is pick a weight that I can only lift for 6 times and work with it adding reps until i can do 3 good sets of 8. Then I bump up the weight. Thats how ive decided to do it.

[quote]elano wrote:
I prefer 3x8 as the goal rep&set for each exercise. I did not want to do 5 sets either for time sake, but 3 is alright. The workload is around the same. For instance 5x5=25 reps and also 3x8=24 thats 1 rep difference.

Anyways the intensity is there for it to work good for strength purposes. What I do is pick a weight that I can only lift for 6 times and work with it adding reps until i can do 3 good sets of 8. Then I bump up the weight. Thats how ive decided to do it.
[/quote]

You could rotate three different exercises and be done in time.

Squat 1x8 no rest,
Bench 1x8 no rest,
Row 1x8 rest 60 seconds.

Repeat 3 times, done!

what I dont get in all this is 3x8 is 24 total
5x5 is 25 total how can you ahve time for one and not the other?

[quote]Player wrote:
5X5 with 1 minute rest, wow man you must be really big. [/quote]

I’m 5’11", 250 lbs, about 15-20% bodyfat; I do ok. If you say me walking down the street you would not mistake me for a male model. My wife calls me gorilla, not because I have a hairy bac.

[quote]Nich wrote:
5x5 is 25 total how can you ahve time for one and not the other?[/quote]

Two fewer rest periods. I know what you mean though, 3 exercises rotated and done 5x5 could be done in 40 minutes EASY, probably less if you sacrificed a little weight at first.

[quote]derek wrote:
Nich wrote:

Two fewer rest periods. I know what you mean though, 3 exercises rotated and done 5x5 could be done in 40 minutes EASY, probably less if you sacrificed a little weight at first.[/quote]

I dont know
I do know that my weight lifting portion is done in about 45 mins

[quote]Nich wrote:
derek wrote:
Nich wrote:

Two fewer rest periods. I know what you mean though, 3 exercises rotated and done 5x5 could be done in 40 minutes EASY, probably less if you sacrificed a little weight at first.

I dont know
I do know that my weight lifting portion is done in about 45 mins[/quote]

Huh? 5 minute warm-up, first set of 5 squats, benches and rows with no rest would be fairly light, may take a total of 3 minutes, maybe 4.

Let’s say you’re slow and it takes 5 minutes to do three exercises with no rest but then take 1 minutes after the first “round”. That’s 6 minutes or so for each round. 5 rounds of 6 minutes comes out to 30 minutes.

The Texas Method, the next progression after Starting Strength, is a fantastic program with a reduced load from the aformentioned 5x5 programs.

I’m in week two and enjoying it so far.

The Texas Method. You’ll alternate between volume days, recovery days & intensity days on the Texas Method.

* Volume: 5 sets of 5 reps with the same weight.
* Recovery: 3 sets of 3 reps with the same weight.
* Intensity: 1 heavy single, double or triple (1x1, 1x2 or 1x3).

I have substituted the Friday intensity day for the Coan-Phillipi Deadlift Routine, to bring up my weak deadlift.

Hope that helps.

[quote]derek wrote:
Nich wrote:
derek wrote:
Nich wrote:

I dont know
I do know that my weight lifting portion is done in about 45 mins

Huh? 5 minute warm-up, first set of 5 squats, benches and rows with no rest would be fairly light, may take a total of 3 minutes, maybe 4.

Let’s say you’re slow and it takes 5 minutes to do three exercises with no rest but then take 1 minutes after the first “round”. That’s 6 minutes or so for each round. 5 rounds of 6 minutes comes out to 30 minutes.[/quote]

IMO if you are worried about 15 mins here or there in a work out then you are proabaly doing something wrong and being rushed like that will cause injuries.

To the OP your original rep progression is fine.

Look up Dan John’s 5x5 article it gives a ton of effective variations and will answer all your questions.

What do you guys think of doing 5*5 with
subbing deadlift for squats, having lower back problems i don’t get so tweaked doing the deads as compared to doing squats.

Can you get the same results?

[quote]Standndeliver wrote:

Please, any other ideas?[/quote]

since you keep the same weight until you reach 5x5 are you basically going to failure or at a point where you couldnt get another rep each time?

for others reading this is that a good method or too much?

[quote]Player wrote:
Derek pay attention to what standndeliver is doing… he is doing 5x5 only once a week. Look at his schedule, his recovery is gonna be eriously hampered, so it is better for him to lower the volume of sets.

I don’t think volume is so important, but if you do, that’s you. For instance, there a ton of ways to work the 5X5, but you do know that I presume.

The classic 5X5 you mentioned is actually a misnomer, as it is actually 1X5 as there is only one big work set. This is a good method to build muscle. The type of training I say is inferior is where you do 5 work sets. 2X8 is just an example [/quote]

I actually had a question about this, as I was considering switching over from a westside-ish split to 5x5 - In the beginning of Bill Starr’s 5x5 article, he says you build up to 5x5 of your previous 5 RM, but when going through the parameters, it actually looks like the 5x5 is actually just one heavy last set x 5, where the others are essentially ramping up the weight, like warmups.

But in his “advanced” article, he says the 5x5 is for straight sets… anyone have any experience with both, that could shed some light on this for me?

Cheers,

ICS

[quote]pumped340 wrote:
Standndeliver wrote:

Please, any other ideas?

since you keep the same weight until you reach 5x5 are you basically going to failure or at a point where you couldnt get another rep each time?

for others reading this is that a good method or too much?[/quote]

The good 5x5 programs from bill starr use 5 reps 5 sets, but they are ramping the weights:

For example

135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5 ← 205 being your current 5 RM.

So you build up to a final set of 5 with the heaviest you can do. Then next week you try and beat that.