T Nation

My 5 X 5 Plan

Any help/info/crit welcome!

I have very limited time to workout, so my plan is to simply keep lifting a weight until I can do a 5 X 5. So, for ex, suppose I can do 5 X 3 with 325 in the BP, but only get 4 reps on set number 4. I’ll stay with that weight until I can do 5 X 5.

Monday: Squats Wed: BP Fri: DL

I work about 14 hous a day, 6 days a week, but there is a gym in the same strip mall where I have my business.

Please, any other ideas?

What are your goals strength or hypertrophy? If your pressed for time take your volume down do something like 2X8. The 5X5 program is pretty much overrated. You’re on a pretty hard situation working that much and having so little time to work out.

Its hard to gain muscle and strength this way. But still, no matter what program you’re on, if you work hard and progress with your weights you’re fine, if not, change.

My experiance is the 5x5 is a very fast workout

if done with proper rest it should take no more than 45 mins to an hour.

I am a huge advocate of the 5x5 not just for begining lifters but for people like the op that dosent ahve alot of time.

its very simple
you have a press,pull,squats/deadlifts,pullups,dips and done
not in that order but still that is the bare bones of the workout.
what exactly are you looking for though?

if you look here which is where I got my template from after being directed there you will see that what you are doing is basicly how it should be done anyways.

[quote]Player wrote:
The 5X5 program is pretty much overrated. [/quote]

You definately NEED to explain this.

[quote]derek wrote:
Player wrote:
The 5X5 program is pretty much overrated.

[/quote]

Please do

[quote]
The 5X5 program is pretty much overrated. You’re on a pretty hard situation working that much and having so little time to work out. Its hard to gain muscle and strength this way.[/quote]

Really? You must have ZeusNathan as a personal trainer. Of course even he does 5x5 for squats.

And no, a 5x5 could easily be done within an hour. 60 seconds of rest between sets. I do it all the time.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
derek wrote:
Player wrote:
The 5X5 program is pretty much overrated.

Please do

The 5X5 program is pretty much overrated. You’re on a pretty hard situation working that much and having so little time to work out. Its hard to gain muscle and strength this way.

Really? You must have ZeusNathan as a personal trainer. Of course even he does 5x5 for squats.

And no, a 5x5 could easily be done within an hour. 60 seconds of rest between sets. I do it all the time.[/quote]

That’s so funny that you mentioned ZeusNathan! I was trying to remember his name. I’m thinking Player is just ZN with a new name.

[quote]Nich wrote:
my experiance is the 5x5 is a very fast workout

if done with proper rest it should take no more than 45 mins to an hour.

I am a huge advocate of the 5x5 not just for begining lifters but for people like the op that dosent ahve alot of time.

its very simple
you have a press,pull,squats/deadlifts,pullups,dips and done
not in that order but still that is the bare bones of the workout.
what exactly are you looking for though?

if you look here which is where I got my template from after being directed there you will see that what you are doing is basicly how it should be done anyways.

That’s an interesting link. Definitely worth a look. Can the beginner w/o really be done in 30 minutes? Sounds very aerobic! :slight_smile:

My motivation is that the men in my family work so much that they get out of shape soon as they start working. I did a lot of simple workout stuff in college and was in pretty good shape (I think anyway). My goal is to stay in shape, but I can’t run anymore because of my limited time. It seems like a quick weight workout 3 days a week is the key.

No prob with food (own a store with my dad) and, I can run over to the gym when the store is quiet, like at 2 in the afternoon.

OK I’ll explain. The 5X5 training is the most common of all and many put it as one of the best to build muscle and gain strength. Its npt. There is no big point in doing 5 sets of an exercise.

You guys think you know all for the way you talk so I won’t waste my time trying to explain my ideas, especially cause you guys don’t wanna hear it as you think your ideas are better than mine. For StandnDeliver, who asked for help, I say, there are better programs for people with little time.

5X5 is overrated because it is the most common and used a lot, though it isn’t that good. There is no point in doing 5 sets of one exercise. I am not gonna explain why because you guys think you are experts so i am not gonna waste my time. 5X5 with 1 minute rest, wow man you must be really big.

[quote]Player wrote:
There is no big point in doing 5 sets of an exercise. You guys think you know all for the way you talk so I won’t waste my time trying to explain my ideas, especially cause you guys don’t wanna hear it as you think your ideas are better than mine. [/quote]

That’s BS.It’s one thing to suggest other ways of training, but when you say there is no point to doing 5 sets of an exercise,that is flat out silly because of how many people have had success with the program.

[quote]Player wrote:
OK I’ll explain. The 5X5 training is the most common of all and many put it as one of the best to build muscle and gain strength. Its npt. There is no big point in doing 5 sets of an exercise.

You guys think you know all for the way you talk so I won’t waste my time trying to explain my ideas, especially cause you guys don’t wanna hear it as you think your ideas are better than mine. For StandnDeliver, who asked for help, I say, there are better programs for people with little time. [/quote]

1. No point in doing 5 sets? Are you familiar with weight-training history at all, Player? You must be unaware of the literally TENS OF THOUSANDS of successful lifters that have used this from the very early days of lifting up until today.

Have you ever heard of Reg Park? Glenn Pendlay? John McCallum? Bradley Steiner, Mark Rippetoe? Bill Starr? Shit, you must be ignorant.

1. We think we know all? Aren’t YOU the one who talks like he knows it all here?

You’re wrong by the way, I DO want to see you explain why 5x5 is pointless but 2x8 isn’t.

I’ll hang out and wait for the details.

[quote]Player wrote:
5X5 with 1 minute rest, wow man you must be really big. [/quote]

EDIT; Why be an ass by writing something like that? Is that because you have no real arguement?

I’ve used 5x5 quite a bit in my training. I’m going about 250lbs or so and still gaining, how about you-since you like to call people out about thier size?

I wouldn’t have to ask if your profile was actually filled out.

Are you from New Jersey by any chance?

[quote]derek wrote:
Player wrote:
5X5 with 1 minute rest, wow man you must be really big.

EDIT; Why be an ass by writing something like that? Is that because you have no real arguement?

I’ve used 5x5 quite a bit in my training. I’m going about 250lbs or so and still gaining, how about you-since you like to call people out about thier size?

I wouldn’t have to ask if your profile was actually filled out.

Are you from New Jersey by any chance?[/quote]

You burned him.

Who was your comment about the whole you must be big thing.

if it was to me I can tell you my current lift numbers and what 5x5 did for me as faqr as results.

started Jan this year after a several year hiatus from any training with the suggestion of stronglifts 5x5 or ripptoes I chose the 5x5
starting weight was around 300 pounds with low to mid 30% bf lifts were struggling at 65lbs all around deadlift was about 100 pounds

after a month I more than doubled my lifts
now not more than 6 months later,granted alot of it is muscle memory my lifts look like this.
body weight is 294 24% bf
bench dont know i stoped benching but I do 120 pound cable chest flys
squat I squat 4 plates total 2 on each side I stopped counting weight I just add plates as I go thats about 220 I think though bar included
dead 8 6 plates never maxed out on deads so I dont know what I really can do
besides that I do 90 pound rope tricep extensions and curl 100 pounds for 5x5

so if you say the 5x5 type workout does not add strength you are full of it.

5X5 1 minute _ OK I shouldn’t have said that. I don’t know how you look nor how you train, I got pissed as everybody here seems just to be interested in saying that what I said is bullshit if I didn’t even explain my point.
I probably exagerated when I said there is no point to do the 5 set approach. I don’t want to make anyone mad nor call people weak. The thing is all I said is that the 5X5 isn’t as good as everybody thinks and you guys went crazy.

Finally getting to my point. Instead of doing 5X5 you would benefit more from doing 2X8 three times a week of an exercise.

After all, the 5X5 program is just another program that if done with progressive overload will yield results.

My bad if I offended anybody, all I wanted to say is that there are better things out there. Doing only two sets with higher effort several times a week is a better choice.

Everybody has different training ideas, don’t mean no disrespect

[quote]Player wrote:
5X5 1 minute _ OK I shouldn’t have said that. I don’t know how you look nor how you train, I got pissed as everybody here seems just to be interested in saying that what I said is bullshit if I didn’t even explain my point.

I probably exagerated when I said there is no point to do the 5 set approach. I don’t want to make anyone mad nor call people weak. The thing is all I said is that the 5X5 isn’t as good as everybody thinks and you guys went crazy.

Finally getting to my point. Instead of doing 5X5 you would benefit more from doing 2X8 three times a week of an exercise.

After all, the 5X5 program is just another program that if done with progressive overload will yield results.

My bad if I offended anybody, all I wanted to say is that there are better things out there. Doing only two sets with higher effort several times a week is a better choice. [/quote]

yes there is better things outt here for different people.

like at my gym the trainers advocate a 2x8 approach
using light weight. about half your max or slightly more.
however how many big guys at my gym do I see doing that? answer is 0
all of them i see do 3 days of a ripptoes type training with 80% or so of the max with progressive addition to the weight and 1-2 days of ligh 2x12 to stay limber and work out the kinks and sorness from the heavy lifts. but there core workouts I notice were low rep heavy weights.

[quote]Player wrote:

My bad if I offended anybody, all I wanted to say is that there are better things out there. Doing only two sets with higher effort several times a week is a better choice. [/quote]

Their is no “Best”. Their is only what’s “BEST” for you, which is an individual thing and will take effort on your part to determine what is optimal for your body and your situation.

[quote]Player wrote:
I don’t want to make anyone mad nor call people weak. The thing is all I said is that the 5X5 isn’t as good as everybody thinks and you guys went crazy. [/quote]

Actually you said “pointless” not “not as good”. BIG difference.

[quote]

Finally getting to my point. Instead of doing 5X5 you would benefit more from doing 2X8 three times a week of an exercise. [/quote]

So you’re really trying to tell me that if I squatted 2x8 3x per week I’d get stronger, faster than my Mon 5x5, Wed 4X5 and my Friday 4x5, 1x3 and 1x8? Because that’s the most common intermediate Bill Starr-based 5x5 there is.

Maybe you think “5x5” means something different? Because to most of us that know anything about training understand that you squat 3 times per week with a classic 5x5 protocol.

[quote]
Doing only two sets with higher effort several times a week is a better choice. [/quote]

How much effort would 2x8 require as compared to a maxed set of 5 after 4 warm-up/preparatory sets (classic 5x5)?