My 5/3/1 Full Body Routine and Assistance Work

Hi,
i’m using the 5/3/1 full body rountine as described in the beyond book, and i just would know from all you, and possibily from Jim, if adding a little assistance work esplecially to improve the bench and the squat should be good and if i put this assistance the right day.
My routine should be someting like this:

Dai 1
Squat 5/3/1 + FSL 3x8-5
BD bench press 4x10
Chin-up 4x10
Close grip bench or Floor press 5x5
Rear delt raises 4x15

Day 2
Front squat 3x5 @ 65% squat
Military press 5/3/1 + FSL 3x8-5
Deadlift 5/3/1 + FSL 3x5-3
Pull-ups 4x8
Lateral raises 4x12

Day 3
Squat 65%X5 75%X5 85%X5
Bench press 5/3/1 + FSL 3x8-5
DB rows 4x10
Good morning 4x10
Biceps/triceps work

What do you think about this?
Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Looks good. You can add in a bit more assistance, as long as its done intelligently and your are making sure to balance your pushing and pulling volume. This can easily be remedied by doing some light, but strict band-pull aparts or a few pullups between sets on your main work. Shouldn’t tire you out, just to add in a bit more volume.

The only thing I would change is take the close grip bench or floor press and do them as your supplemental after bench press on Day 3. Make sure to establish a TM for them and use the FSL appropriately.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer!

Ok for the band-pull aparts, i will add it!

I use close grip bench or floor press as “technique work”, to improve my bench and to fix my sticking points on bench. Do you think it should be better to do it after the heavy bench press session in day 3, instead of doing it in the lighter DB press session in day 1? In this case, which rep range should i use?

Thanks!!