T Nation

My 20 Squat and Milk Scheme

[quote]___ wrote:
Why is it always beginners who think that 20 rep squat programs are a good idea? Just an observation.[/quote]

A large majority of people here think that. “SQUATS AND MILK” might be the most common phrase on here.

i dont think its worth it unless you can start with your BW on the bar AND maintain decent form all the way through

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:
thanks for all the in put guys. I’ve decided to start this on Monday and have been trying really hard to get use to the heavy eating that needs to be done for this too work. I’ve decided to drink half a gallon of milk , eat tons of food(mostly pizza , rice ,fish , chicken, and meat) , and also drink one serving of my protein drink daily(it contains 1200 calories with 50g of fat per serving). After adding everything up the calories came up to about 4000 . Is that sufficient enough for this program ? and would it be a bad idea to drink my milk with Nesquick… i kinda dont like the taste of regular milk.[/quote]

Pizza?
Not the best muscle building food really.

Diet should mainly be, egg, meat, milk obv, veg and a healthy carb source.
I would go higher than I normally do on the carbs for the 6 weeks due to the demand of the program, but then I’m normally pretty low carb as it is.

[quote]___ wrote:
Why is it always beginners who think that 20 rep squat programs are a good idea? Just an observation.[/quote]

I won’t defend the whole program, but a 20 rep set with a 10RM on your squat day teaches a beginner to push himself. And when I look around the gym, I see a lot of people that need to learn that.

Intensity, enough food and progression separates those who get somewhere from those who look the same year after year. This idea has 2 out of 3. Just add milk :wink:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]___ wrote:

I won’t defend the whole program, but a 20 rep set with a 10RM on your squat day teaches a beginner to push himself. And when I look around the gym, I see a lot of people that need to learn that.

Intensity, enough food and progression separates those who get somewhere from those who look the same year after year. This idea has 2 out of 3. Just add milk ;)[/quote]

would it be fine to use chocolate nesquick on my milk?

I don’t really know what that is. A heap of sugar with traces of cocoa? Generally speaking, eating tings that aren’t pure crap combined with lots and lots of lifting works well. We don’t really know enough about you to give you advice other than what’s pretty much always true. Is that really how you’re going to train? Are you making progress?

For better advice, post more info, like this: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/guide_to_a_beginners_post?pageNo=0#4476570

To save a few years you’ll never get back, learn how to lift weights in a smart way. Read these threads:

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]___ wrote:

Intensity, enough food and progression separates those who get somewhere from those who look the same year after year. This idea has 2 out of 3. Just add milk ;)[/quote]

would it be fine to use chocolate nesquick on my milk?[/quote]

what are you, 5?

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]___ wrote:

what are you, 5?[/quote]

I lol’d.

You’ll get used to the taste after drinking a gallon a day for a little while.
If you can’t take the discomfort of drinking something your not keen on maybe this isn’t the routine for you that the very least of your worries when the workout starts.

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]___ wrote:

No. Being skinny does not mean you can eat large amounts of sugar without causing problems. If you were to drink around 1 gallon (3.78 liters) of chocolate milk per day (a classic mass gaining practice with regular, whole milk) you would be getting around 480 grams of sugar. That is about 12 cans of coke’s worth. That will fuck you up.

This thread is like watching a train carelessly careen onward towards destroyed tracks hundreds of yards ahead.

OP–since you’re probably not going to take most of the advice offered here, come back in six months to tell everyone that the chocolate nesquik and pizza combined with doing 1x20 on squats gave you that epic physique that everyone’s been dying for.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
This thread is like watching a train carelessly careen onward towards destroyed tracks hundreds of yards ahead.

OP–since you’re probably not going to take most of the advice offered here, come back in six months to tell everyone that the chocolate nesquik and pizza combined with doing 1x20 on squats gave you that epic physique that everyone’s been dying for.[/quote]

k and ill remember your name as well. hope your still on these boards prick.

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:

[quote]kakno wrote:

[quote]___ wrote:

It’s probably not the greatest idea, so use some restraint. Dave Tate would eat boxes of Oreos and large bags of peanut M&Ms to get his bloat on. So you could, but is it really necessary?

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:

OP–since you’re probably not going to take most of the advice offered here, come back in six months to tell everyone that the chocolate nesquik and pizza combined with doing 1x20 on squats gave you that epic physique that everyone’s been dying for.[/quote]

I would be interested in your progress in six months.

Sorry if my last response was dickish–I suppose I just don’t understand posters who ask whether doing stuff like eating “mostly pizza” or drinking nesquik consistently is a good idea, much less making up their own program. Just sort of blows my mind/doesn’t make any sense to me. My first post was an attempt at being helpful, but subsequent responses just blew my mind.

As far as DudeAbides’s post-- I mean, I keep a log, so if you ever want to go on there and tell me that I’m a weak pu***, feel free. I’ve made respectable progress over the past few months (almost weighing 200lbs now), but I know I’ve still got a long way to go as well.

I won’t do that, because that is not the point.

I was criticizing you for this:

[quote]
The3Commandments wrote:

It may be foreign to you, but it is a method known as bulking. Consuming a surplus in Calories while training intensely. Many do it as it does work. I think your complaint is in the type of food the OP consumes. I can’t say that I would do the same, but it can work. I would ask that you try a method before condemning it as ineffective, that’s all.

[quote]MAsteve wrote:
Pizza?
Not the best muscle building food really. [/quote]
Did you notice this dude’s current size?

When we’re starting off so underweight, we have to bend the “rules” a bit. Two slices and a protein shake as lunch a few days a week is hardly going to do the guy any harm.

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:
I’ve decided to drink half a gallon of milk , eat tons of food(mostly pizza , rice ,fish , chicken, and meat) , and also drink one serving of my protein drink daily(it contains 1200 calories with 50g of fat per serving). After adding everything up the calories came up to about 4000 . Is that sufficient enough for this program ?[/quote]
It’s “sufficient” if you eat that way seven days a week, it’s “sufficient” if your bodyweight increases on the one day each week you’ll weigh yourself, and it’s “sufficient” if your strength in the gym (on the squats and other lifts) increase each workout.

And while we’re on the subject, what, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

As was said, adding copious amounts of sugar to your diet is unnecessary and brings more trouble than solutions. If you have to flavor your milk ::coughseriouslyjustgrowapaircough::, I’d rather use something like a half-scoop or scoop of chocolate Grow! whey when you drink it, but then factor the extra few hundred calories into your daily plan.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]MAsteve wrote:
Pizza?

When we’re starting off so underweight, we have to bend the “rules” a bit. Two slices and a protein shake as lunch a few days a week is hardly going to do the guy any harm.

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:
I’ve decided to drink half a gallon of milk , eat tons of food(mostly pizza , rice ,fish , chicken, and meat) , and also drink one serving of my protein drink daily(it contains 1200 calories with 50g of fat per serving). After adding everything up the calories came up to about 4000 . Is that sufficient enough for this program ?[/quote]
It’s “sufficient” if you eat that way seven days a week, it’s “sufficient” if your bodyweight increases on the one day each week you’ll weigh yourself, and it’s “sufficient” if your strength in the gym (on the squats and other lifts) increase each workout.

As was said, adding copious amounts of sugar to your diet is unnecessary and brings more trouble than solutions. If you have to flavor your milk ::coughseriouslyjustgrowapaircough::, I’d rather use something like a half-scoop or scoop of chocolate Grow! whey when you drink it, but then factor the extra few hundred calories into your daily plan.[/quote]

this is what i ate today so far.

4 cups of milk (no nesquick lol) and bagel

in school i ate one pizza and 3 milks(i had to ask everyone in lunch lmao)

at home im eating a BIG plate of rice and chicken with beens. the rice alone contains about 500-600 calories and im not sure on the chicken but im assuming it adds up to more than 800.after that im going to drink another 4 cups of milk.

im going to workout in a few . ill let you know how the 20 squats go.

back from my workout…

surprisingly it wasnt that bad… the squats werent that hard so i guess ill need to bring my pounds to 135 since 125 wasnt heavy enough(still struggled a little though lol). everything else went swell. didnt do the stiff legged deadlifts since my hamstring cramped up a little after the squats… guess i didnt warm up enough. anyways bout to go drink some protein and milk . ill keep you guys tuned.

[quote]MAsteve wrote:
Pizza?

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:

As was said, adding copious amounts of sugar to your diet is unnecessary and brings more trouble than solutions. If you have to flavor your milk ::coughseriouslyjustgrowapaircough::, I’d rather use something like a half-scoop or scoop of chocolate Grow! whey when you drink it, but then factor the extra few hundred calories into your daily plan.[/quote]

Good points all round there.

Looking at the example diet posted OP you need more. More food more protein more everything

[quote]MAsteve wrote:

[quote]MAsteve wrote:
Pizza?

[quote]DazeDolo wrote:

Good points all round there.

Looking at the example diet posted OP you need more. More food more protein more everything[/quote]

im already getting 200g and 4000 calories. that’s not going to cause any cholesteral problems? lol