T Nation

My 20 Rep Squat Thread

I’d like hear of others 20 rep squat experiences. I’m wondering if anyone has ever cut using the BMR increase due to high reppers and/or the LBM gains made using 20rep squats. I read where Platz would do reverse sets and end up squatting 225 for 10 mins non stop to cut for a comp(s). I’d also like hear of the effect that steroid use had someone’s squats. Did it make it easier or more intense or increase the gains or nothing at all?

Thanks in advance!

I had tried 20 rep squats before, I made it 3 weeks and had to stop. It was the most intense sessions I think that I have ever had. I had to stop because I was getting heavily burnt out from them. I’m sure youve read a good deal about them, but your supposed to increase the weight 3 times a week, upping 5 pounds every time, from your original 10 rep max (thats 15 extra pounds each week onto that 10 RM).

The original program also calls for a caloric surplus as well (all that milk). I don’t see how people would be able to do it on a cut unassited, you need so many calories and a large amount carbs and protein to help you recover from those sessions, and I rememebr that my appetite was insatiable. If you were assisted or some kind of genetic anamolly I guess you could do it on a cut without getting burnt out. The original program is also meant to add some serious mass, which you would odviously need a caloric surplus to accomplish.

tremad12, Is there a specific program you’re referring to? I was under the assumption that the 20 rep squat simply took place of one’s quad focus for the week. Is the 20 rep squat part of a leg specialization or was that just something that you had done (for personal reasons, legs were your weakness, whatever)?

There’s a couple 20 rep squat programs, but the main one has you doing 20 rep squats followed by a set of 20 rep pullovers to…‘expand the ribcage.’ Then you do a couple other compound exercises for other parts of your body.

Every new session, you should increase your squatting weight by 5 lbs.

I did this a while ago when I was still getting my newbie gains…went from 20 repping 185 lbs to 20 repping 225 lbs in 5 weeks. I gained tons of muscle in my legs and a bit of muscle in the upper body – lots of fat too with all that milk. I probably won’t do it again, but I’m glad I did it.

Seated Behind Neck Press 3x10

Bench Press 3x12

Bent Over Row 2x15

Standing Barbell Curl 3x10

Parallel Squat 1x20
Rader Chest Pull (or db pullover) 1x20

Straight-Leg Deadlift 1x15
Rader Chest Pull (or db pullover) 1x20

Toe Raise 2x20

Sit Ups 1x25

2-3 x per week adding 5-10 lbs to squat per workout for 6 weeks.

I have the Super Squats book by Randall Strossen at work but I can’t remember the actual diet. It’s very similar to this;
Breakfast
4 eggs
2 slices of toast
1 glass of milk

Snack
Bran Muffin
1 glass of milk

Lunch
Sandwich (i.e. meat, cheese, tuna fish, etc.)
piece of fruit
1 glass of milk

Snack
Granola bar
Slice of cheese
1 glass of milk

Supper
Meat (i.e. chicken, beef, pork, etc.)
Pasta, Rice, or Potatoes
Cup of veggies
1 glass of milk

Snack
2 slices of toast
1 glass of milk

i used to do a squat day…
long warm up
two heavy sets of 6
then what my workout partner dubbed the widowmaker…20 rep squat

we actually put the gym’s trashcan in the rack just as a precaution
intense but it worked in about 6 weeks i went from sets of 295 for six and 205 for 20
to sets of 335 for six and 245 for 20

My squat day at the moment has 3 breathing sets (as does leg press)
Set1-80gx20
Set2-90kgx15
Set3-100kgx12

These are murder and i am shaking like a leaf after.

I have noticed fantastic hypertrophy after adding this to my quad workout, with the majority of the past 10lbs i have gained in the last few weeks beingon thighs (Approx.7-8)

Joe

[quote]FortDodge wrote:
I’d like hear of others 20 rep squat experiences. I’m wondering if anyone has ever cut using the BMR increase due to high reppers and/or the LBM gains made using 20rep squats. I read where Platz would do reverse sets and end up squatting 225 for 10 mins non stop to cut for a comp(s). I’d also like hear of the effect that steroid use had someone’s squats. Did it make it easier or more intense or increase the gains or nothing at all?

Thanks in advance![/quote]

And that is some fat bitch…!

Oh yea she’s fat. That ass has to weigh 55lbs by itself. Just how I like 'em!

www.Plumpers.com

My favourite is:

http://www.assparade.com/t1/revs=NoAdvert/

I know this is off topic but still… gotta love dem big roud bubble butts…

Joe

W-A-Y off topic, I’ll hijack my own thread.

autumnbiscuit or whatever is gonna bust us soon, but that IS DISGUSTING!!!

Joe

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit…

Trenchant,
I was reffering to the squats and milk program, this is one of the earliest bodybuilding programs and it utilized 20 rep squats in the fashion I described. Look it up on google, the results I got from it were good, but it really takes a toll on your CNS.

Thanks, tremad12. Will do. I wanted to do OVT this summer. Perhaps I can takle this in the fall!

perfect for the typical ectomorph lookin to gain size in high school, as long as their height wont hinder them from squatting, wonder if deads could be substituted for the 20 rep squats?? hmmmmmm???

I read where there are “Deadlift efficient” body types (short torso, long arms) and “Squat efficient” body types (short legs, long torso). Platz of course being a squat efficient, Peoples/Anello being DL.

I wonder, also, if high rep squat would increase your squat max? The TUL is certainly higher than low rep sets so the CNS response should also be higher. Whether that < stimulation equates w/ a size or strength increase is largely up to the individual’s particular physiology I’d guess.

Suprisingly, Mark Berry (USA Oly coach 1922 & 26 team) had a huge knowledge of what high rep squats would do for maxes despite Allen Calvert “inventing” the plate loaded barbell in 1911. IMO, Mark Berry is probably the most underrate trainer in bodybuilding history.

[quote]football061 wrote:
I just threw up in my mouth a little bit…[/quote]

Bony chicks w/ no tits, protruding ribs, clavicles and hip bones do the same thing to me. A chick has gotta jiggle when your pounding her & her butt has to be at least 8in larger than mine.

[quote]FortDodge wrote:
I read where there are “Deadlift efficient” body types (short torso, long arms) and “Squat efficient” body types (short legs, long torso). Platz of course being a squat efficient, Peoples/Anello being DL.

I wonder, also, if high rep squat would increase your squat max? The TUL is certainly higher than low rep sets so the CNS response should also be higher. Whether that < stimulation equates w/ a size or strength increase is largely up to the individual’s particular physiology I’d guess.

Suprisingly, Mark Berry (USA Oly coach 1922 & 26 team) had a huge knowledge of what high rep squats would do for maxes despite Allen Calvert “inventing” the plate loaded barbell in 1911. IMO, Mark Berry is probably the most underrate trainer in bodybuilding history.[/quote]

It absolutely should. I have no doubt in my mind… If i can squat 200lbs for 20 and i work at it and do 300lbs for 20, i bet my 1RM has gone up too…

Joe

the 1 rm max would go up solely on the fact that your cross-section of muscle is now way larger and really good at using lactate for ATP energy.

That and you become a better squatter (technically) due to the extra reps. I hear that doing something over and over is a great way to get good at it.

Reps after 15 had better be good or you end up dumping it.

20 reppers are “fun” because it’s different to get reps above 3 in for me. I did some light 20 rep Sq with 100kg/225# on sunday and my ass still hurts. I wonder what my real 20 rep weight would be.

Any how yeah I wouldn’t cut with that shit though. BAD BAD idea. Just use front and back Squats in a complex or combo as energy systems. A real set of 20 rep squats on a cutting oriented diet would fuck up all your subsequent training sessions. You gotta train so taht you can maintain your intensity for all the weeks sessions despite cal/carb restriction.

-chris