My 1st Strongman Show - 2nd Time Lucky?

An other sub par session. Having lots of these.
But this is due to illness. I’ll start there. Had a covid scare last week. This week I had 1.5 days off. Which is tough as in self employed. Then I dropped a ton of weigh and I’ve not been getting my daily protein.

However I’ve only missed 1 session. And yesterday I done 1h of touch rugby and 1h bmx riding. So I’m ficked. After today’s session I got home and napped for 15mins. Just went out.

Training:
Today was going to be log farmers and yoke. But the sled was out so i figured I’d do that as farmers has been going so well.

My log was trash. 75kg x 1 2 of.
BUT I hit a log pr Thursday and done a made drop set and I’ve not eaten enough. Scrubbing this.

Arm over arm pull 120kg on the sled
4 pulls. Hard work this. But I think I’ve found my rhythm.
Yoke
210 x 20m x2 - this was okay. I took my time to get my positioning right. I watched a tutorial on YouTube and it really helped.
250 x 15 x 2 - lots harder but managed it fairly well.
250 half squat bottom up x 1. I set the bar at just under nipple height and stood up. I wanted a few sets if 1 but it was never going to happen.

Over all a fairly successful session given the situation. Once in back to 100% I’ll feel I’ll be much stronger.

ALSO - vibrating plate. 2 mins stood in this was heaven. I could feel my spinal erectors melting as I stood there. Beautiful.

1 Like

This happens to the best of us. Not everyday is a great training day. If you’re sick you’re only going to make yourself worse if you keep pushing too hard. Back off enough to recover then hit it hard again once you’re feeling well.

Thanks.

I know yesterdays session might not have been smart. But I really needed it.

I’m going to keep it light and easy this week ready for a big session Thursday.

1 Like

I definitely get what you mean. I’m peaking for a big contest and my kids got me sick at the start of my peak. Really threw a wrench in the gears. Luckily I’m not sick anymore but I feel like trash just from peaking. But if the past comp prep is any indicator of how this next comp will go, I’ll hit some huge PR’s and do really well.

How much longer do you have before your competition?

7th of November. 5 1/2 weeks.

What’s the hope’s and dreams for the competition then?
What events?

Strongman Corps USA Nationals October 16-17

700 lb yoke for 120 ft (goal 40 seconds)
35, 40, 45, 50 lb sandbag throw over 15 ft bar (goal 25 seconds)
375 lb husafell stone for max distance (goal 300 ft)
290 lb log clean and press for max reps (goal 2 reps)
last man standing deadlift, starting at 555 and making 30 lb jumps up to 825 (goal 615)

I believe each of these to be very realistic goals, not conservative but also not overly confident. I compete U105kg. I’ve never been a great deadlifter…

Yeah I’m competing at under 105. I find it’s the best mix. Strong but still athletic.
I like the open weights - but not for me.

These are some bug numbers. 700lb yoke is hard. I can just about stand up under 660lb. And just about do a 15 / 45ft walk with 550lb. 120ft with 700 sounds nasty.

Those numbers I am shooting for will put me middle of the pack on probably every event, except the sandbag throw. I think I can actually be really competitive on that. I don’t expect to do great haha. Top 1/3 of the weight class gets to compete at the Arnold Amateur Strongman World Championships, and that’s my goal for this year.

Are you competing in the US or somewhere else? I’m curious because I see you use kg and m a lot.

I’m UK. About 25 miles east of London.
I change stuff to lbs & ft to fit in

That’s why the numbers are high and your times will be good. That’s a REALLY high level of competition man

I doubt I’ll ever get 290lb log strong. I mean that’s genuinely mad strength. What’s your training like?

2 Likes

:joy: I laughed too hard at this!!

Yea top 3 get strongman corp MW pro cards.

I train 4 days per week, 1 overhead press day, 1 deadlift day, 1 event day (yoke, sandbags and husa), and 1 accessory press day. We (my coach and I) hammered the presses hard because that was the one event I am most likely to zero (or at least I was, I think I can get a couple reps at 290 now). I’m probably strong enough to be a 300 lb push presser, but my technique sucks (but is getting much better). Biggest log I have hit was 280 and that was kinda easy-ish, but then I failed 285 twice yesterday. My log is hit and miss, which again, is due to technique.

The biggest change I noticed in my training was when I started getting adequate sleep. I was so accustomed to getting 5-6 hours sleep per night, then the worldwide house arrest started and it allowed me to get 8-9 hours of sleep tonight and all my lifts went up, but my recovery was also exponentially better. I always tell people that sleep is the best PED I’ve ever been on.

Sorry man, I can get long winded. I’ll stop because I don’t want to jack your thread any more.

and btw, with the right level of dedication to sleep, recovery, nutrition and training, you could definitely be a 290 lb presser. Especially if you’re shorter. I’m 6’1" (which from what I have seen is the tall end of U105) so I can’t put on as much lean mass as someone shorter than me can.

1 Like

A possible (fuck it probably) under 105 competitor for the Arnold’s wants to chat - chat away.

My youngest has sleep issues. 6 1/2 is my max. But yeah I need to improve this.

I get this lol. On thursday I tried 85kg (190lb) for the first time. Got a solid double. But tried a third and couldn’t grind it out. But fried my self in the process.
So I dropped the weight 2.5kg 5lbs to try for another double. Got 4 reps.

Something if off. But hey I used to struggle with 75kg for 5. So I’m getting better…

Eh, we’ll see how it goes lol. I’m confident I will do well, but I’m almost certain I won’t even take top 10.

I get it, I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old myself. I’m not comparing our situations to say one is worse than another, simply empathizing.

Also, 190 lbs overhead is not weak by any stretch. Consistency is key brother. I’ve only been doing strongman for a year, but I am also 32 with almost 17 years of training under my belt, with PLENTY of lulls in between as well. Never was a competitive lifter until last October though, I always just considered myself a “recreational Powerlifter”. No coach or training plan, just picking up heavy shit as much as I could with decent form. and I never gave a shit about diet or sleep/recovery until early this year, like Feb-March time frame.

I guess my point is that it can all come together relatively quickly with the right mindset. But it’s also a balancing act with your other priorities and life in general.

I get it. Misery loves company. It’s nice to show people you have an idea of their position.
My 5 year old has ASD. Hes not slept more than 3 nights through since Sept 2019. And before that our record was 5 night through. He wakes every night screaming in terror. It’s hard work as I’m up early for work. The other kid is awake every morning at 06.02. With out fail. We have some really interesting mornings…

Yeah but it’s not winning any competitions is it?
I’m not after getting world record strong. But a 253/115kg log would be nice. Maybe more.

100% agree. I made a decision in December last year to get stronger. At the time my best squat was 110kg for 14 reps. I’ve had to stop doing other things I like. Rugby stopped to a point. As has Judo. On e you dedicated yourself and start doing the hard stuff ALL the time. Like diet and recovery results just kinda look after them selves.

That’s some serious progress man. Good work

Yea that’s serious progress, you hit 130 for 20 recently didn’t you? An improvement of 6 reps and 20kg in just a few months! Keep up the solid work and you’ll be hitting that log in no time at all.

Also sorry to hear about the sleep problems - my eldest went through years of it, even prescribed melatonin for a couple of years, night terrors are seriously unpleasant!

5rm squat is 140kg (310lb)
5rm bench is 95kg (210lb)
5rm for deadlift (trap bar) is 155kg (340lb)
5rm for press is 72.5kg (160lb)

These are from Jan last year.
I’m a bit embarrassed by them l. Progress has been slow. BUT like wise I guess it’s all in the right direction. I mean my press is up, deadlifts are up, my bench is 15kg up. I’d be telling other people well done. But guess that’s not the point…

Looking back over my numbers on Feb 4th I managed 150kg squat for 6 reps.

Recently I managed 167.5 5x5.
So lets say 5x5 = 6 ish. 17.5kg increase in 6 months.

Not as stellar an increase but still good.

To be fair most of 2019 was just finding my feet. And the lock down. I’m definitely stronger but I need to focus more. Get the gut gone.

Mate I would say this is a great increase. Repeat that 3 more times and look back in a year and a half from.

Plus I’d definitely argue with the maths there - 5x5 is not at all equatable with a single set of 6! You’re improvements is probably closer to 25kg, I reckon you could hit 175 for 6 presently.

Also what’s your deadlift these days?

Trap bar 180x10.
Straight bar I managed 170x6 easy recently. I’m aiming for 180x10 in my comp 5 weeks away.
I’ll get that or die trying.

Dude, this is great progress. All progress is progress and we all start somewhere, so there’s nothing to be embarrassed about. I remember getting pinned under a 185 lb bench when I was younger (like 20, when I was in high school I could BARELY bench a plate on each side). It sounds like you’re new(ish) to lifting and to strongman.

Growth (with anything, not just lifting) is all about the journey, not the destination.