T Nation

Mustard in Fridge or Pantry

After I open my mustard do I need to put it in the fridge or will the pantry do?

In a plastic squeeze bottle? Either. I’ve had them in both and been fine. I have them in the pantry now as I have a small shared fridge.

Unless it’s preservative free stuff it shouldn’t matter.

Ketchup and mustard can both go in the pantry, the vinegar in each keep bacteria from growing. However, the quality of the product may degrade if you don’t keep it in the fridge ie: ketchup goes brown.

Mine has no vinegar in it. Ingredients are:

Water, Mustard Seed 14%, Sugar, Salt, Acidity Regulator (Acetic Acid), Spices, Herb & Spice Extracts, Garlic Extract.

I keep ketchup in the pantry because we go through a big bottle of Heinz in about 2 months. It usually takes 3-4 months for it to start turning brown. Mustard tends to last a lot longer, so it goes in the fridge. It’s also a smaller bottle, so space isn’t as much of an issue.

Trashcan.

TLDR:

follow the instructions on the package

your run-of-the-mill cheap yellow mustard stays in the cupboard unopened, once opened it belongs in the fridge.

sorta sounds like a sexual euphemism :slight_smile: I guess it depends on how its said…Hey baby do you like mustard in the fridge… or in the pantry.

Definitely in the pantry :wink: haha

Vinegar is basically water and acetic acid , so . . . . . you have synthetic vinegar in your mustard.