T Nation

Must Win, No Other Option

So I’m competing in The NPC Georgia Bodybuilding Championship this summer on July 11th. I though I would sort of track my progress and look for a bit of advice on here.

I been training for a few years. I’m a sophomore in college. I’m 6’, 210 and must win this competition. Here are a few pictures of my physique so we can crack this thread off. I’m currently just training hard as hell and eating everything I can get my hands on.

what weight class

Looking solid, but 210 at 6’ isn’t that big when you consider that you’re going to end up at least 20 lbs less once you get into contest condition, especially for an NPC (untested) show.

S

Gain. Gain. Gain.

Yeah I wanna try and get to 225-230 pre comp, that is before I cut. so i wanna try and get on stage at about 210.

another photo

Since you have a lot of time, that’s cool, but weigh your options carefully.

Get bigger and cut later (I don’t know how well you do it already) with the risk of coming in a little fatter than you would like, or give one SHORT, final push to get a couple more pounds on before focusing on a serious long-term dieting phase.

If two guys chose both those options, the winner would normally be the second one.

another

I’m honestly planning on bulking until I reach 225-230 and then cutting down a month or so before the show. If I don’t reach at least 225 its honestly kind of pointless. I generally don’t put on fat when I’m bulking so I’m good to go in that regard.

I think you need to be a little more realistic here, I think there is no reason to compete at this stage.

You are giving yourself 3 months to reach 230 lbs, then cut down and hoping to win the show?

No offense man but it’s not going to happen. It’s obvious you have a good base, but when you are taller you just have to give it time.

Added to the fact that the NPC is untested, you will be up against some monsters.

Still need to see some other photos besides MM poses. Wheels and back?

I’d seriously consider taking 1-2 years off from competition and just bust your ass. You have potential but in my mind now is not the time.

If you want to go for it though, best of luck, I’ll be interested in how this thread turns out.

[quote]nz6stringaxe wrote:
Since you have a lot of time, that’s cool, but weigh your options carefully.

Get bigger and cut later (I don’t know how well you do it already) with the risk of coming in a little fatter than you would like, or give one SHORT, final push to get a couple more pounds on before focusing on a serious long-term dieting phase.

If two guys chose both those options, the winner would normally be the second one.[/quote]

You think 3 months is a lot of time? That’s nothing in terms of BBing.

Unless I misread and he said July 11th 2011, I’m going to have to disagree with you.

As it’s been said before BBing is a marathon, not a sprint.

Id say time isnt on your side bro, time is on your side tho if your only a sophomore. Many more years of shows to go!

I feel where you guys are comin from but to clarify a few things here, I just want to win the Novice division not the whole show, so that makes a pretty big difference in what kind of size were lookin for here. The Novice division I believe is for first timers. My buddy won the teen division last year and plans to compete in Juniors and the Men’s Open, he’s 6’2 250 and a complete beast.

Last year I honestly didn’t see anyone in the Novice division that was that beastly. I think with 20 more lbs I can definitely win the Novice division, in my mind its just a matter of gettin those 20 more lbs.

[quote]jerm wrote:
I feel where you guys are comin from but to clarify a few things here, I just want to win the Novice division not the whole show, so that makes a pretty big difference in what kind of size were lookin for here. The Novice division I believe is for first timers. My buddy won the teen division last year and plans to compete in Juniors and the Men’s Open, he’s 6’2 250 and a complete beast.

Last year I honestly didn’t see anyone in the Novice division that was that beastly. I think with 20 more lbs I can definitely win the Novice division, in my mind its just a matter of gettin those 20 more lbs. [/quote]

Ok, so lets say you add 20 quality pounds in 2 months. You’re leaving yourself with 1 month to diet down into contest condition? NO WAY, sorry. If you somehow managed to add 0 lbs of fat from now until the end of your bulk, 1 month isn’t long enough. I think you’re underestimating how truly lean you must be to compete (and be competitive), especially at a NPC show. To be completely honest, you’re not looking to have a real good chance.

I appreciate the opinion but I’m pretty sure it can be done. I mean I’m not sittin at 15% BF by any means, I don’t need 6 months to lean down and lose water. I just need to lose a few % points. I think it can be done and I plan to prove it can be done.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:

Unless I misread and he said July 11th 2011, I’m going to have to disagree with you.

[/quote]

I was kind of scrolling along looking for a year other than 2009.

Not said in any way to discourage the OP from working hard and setting goals.

All right, lofty buy might as well aim high. What’s your bulking diet like now?

I’m just now getting over a few days of non stop diarrhea so I’m just eating whatever I can find. I really don’t keep track of my diet to be honest hah. I just eat whatever I got laying around. Lots of oats, peanut butter, whey protein, 2% milk, chicken breast with rice. It really depends, I just try eat all that kind of stuff until I can’t eat anymore, several times a day.

I really don’t like to worry about this aspect of my life too much. Bodybuilding and working out is a release for me. I just go by feel and intuition. I’ve tried doing all that no carb nonsense a few years back and it just left me looking skinny to be honest. At 19 yrs old you can eat pretty much whatever you want and not worry about it.

[quote]jerm wrote:
I appreciate the opinion but I’m pretty sure it can be done. I mean I’m not sittin at 15% BF by any means, I don’t need 6 months to lean down and lose water. I just need to lose a few % points. I think it can be done and I plan to prove it can be done. [/quote]

I’m sorry, but unless you’re going to juice, it can’t. Mighty Stu is a natural competitor, keeps himself mostly lean, and he started his cut about 7 weeks out, but he’d already been lightly dieting for another 2 or so. Typical pre-contest diet time is about 12 weeks, with 8-10 being on the short end. You have no idea how lean a true stage ready physique is.

1 month is nothing.

Not trying to discourage you, because you have a good base, but you need to either come in lighter but in good condition and start your diet 7-8 weeks out, or you need to skip the contest and gain 30 lbs, then cut for another one.

Unless you’re going to juice. Then you could probably add some, but not all, the weight by mid May/June and do a halfway decent cut in the last 6 weeks.

Wow dude. If 20lbs in a few months time is possible for you then why have you been training a few years and not gotten huge?

Ever thought of that? You are a dreamer which is good, but you are being unrealistic and that is also good in some ways. Have you actually thought this through? Have you been half assing it for a coupla’ years?

Do what you want to do, but your will likely get injured if you do what most beginners do to try to gain an ass load of weight fast and you will likely look like shit on stage. Just sayin’