Must Read Books?

I recently got back into the habit of reading, which I really enjoy. I think its a much more productive use of my time than other things. I was hoping yall could make some recommendations on eat/classic/helpful/informational/insightful books to check out.

Any category of book is acceptable and would be great. Science fiction, historical, weight lifting, nutrition, biographies, self improvement books, coloring books, anything. List away!

Animal Farm
One Flew Over the Cukoo’s Nest
A Clockwork Orange
A Brave New World
Fahrenheit 451
The Prince and The Discourses
The Republic
We
The Communist Manifesto
In Cold Blood
Hamlet
The Canterbury Tales
The Catcher in the Rye

I am reading Lonesome Dove right now.

I can’t believe I waited this long to read it. Fantastic book.

The Five People you Meet in Heaven
by Mitch Albom

The black book of training secrets?
ha.

Robinson Crusoe has always been a favorite.

Also, a recent read that I liked alot: Into the wild by Jon Krakauer.

Crime and Punishment
Childhood’s End
Heart of Darkness
The Hobbit

Flashman Series (a fun way to learn about history)

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Vol. One. Graphic novel chock full of arcane references to 19th century literature. Get the companion guide, Gods and Monsters to help you out.

Pretty much anything by Chuck Palahniuk and/or Jeff Noon

1.The Art of War by: Sun Tzu

2.Tao of Jeet Kune Do By: Bruce Lee

3.Shaolin Chin Na By: Jwing-Ming Yang
The Main Meridians (Encyclopedia of Dim-Mak) By: Earl Montaigue & Wally Simpson

enjoy,

Dragon

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I am reading Lonesome Dove right now.

I can’t believe I waited this long to read it. Fantastic book.[/quote]

I also liked the movie format.

Muscle Logic by Charles Staley.
Gourmet Nutrition By Dr. John Berardi
Anabolic Steroids: Ultimate Research Guide By Anthony Roberts

To name a couple…

I enjoyed “Blink” and “The Tipping Point” by Malcolm Gladwell. The guy’s an incredibly writer and brings a unique perspective to the world.

An author named Ben Mezrich has written a couple of true-life accounts (“Bringing Down the House”, “Ugly Americans”, and “Busting Vegas”) that are really good if you like books about beating the system and shit like that.

If you are into poker I’m halfway through David Sklansky’s “Theory of Poker” and I consider it a must-have for a serious poker player.

I re-read the Autobiograpy of Malcolm X for like the 70th time the other day. The insight into his thoughts and life is phenomenal.

Anything by Michael Crichton is outstanding, he brings an interesting scientific perspective to his novels and is such a good writer it flows easily.

I agree with the Malcom Gladwell (“Blink” and “The Tipping Point”) recommendation, he’s got a great writing style, his webstie (gladwell.com) has many of his articles written for The Newyorker.

“Freakanomics” by Steven Levitt is very interesting.

Currently reading “The Smartest Guys in the Room”, about the rise and fall on Enron, it’s a very interesting story of corporate corruption.

House of Leaves

dune
and anything by plato.

i actually kind of like the list below, i will add in my comment

andrew1 wrote:
1984 [ok)
Animal Farm {fabulous, deep, and a quick read}
One Flew Over the Cukoo’s Nest {awesome, even if youve seen the movie you should check ou the book]
A Clockwork Orange {dont know, though i do know kubrik left the tru ending out of the movie]
A Brave New World [didnt like it]
Fahrenheit 451[forgot most of it]
The Prince and The Discourses[good stuff, but maybe too dry if you arent into political strategy]
The Republic[prefer other dialogues]
We[dont know]
The Communist Manifesto[ok, but not something you want to sit down with]
In Cold Blood[really good]
Hamlet[a true masterpiece, but not as easy to read as some of the others]
The Canterbury Tales[they bore me really, i know that is probably taboo to say, some are ok though]
The Catcher in the Rye [one of my top 5]

i would add some hemingway short stories, and if you like them give the sun also rises a shot

[quote]jimmybango wrote:
by Mitch Albom[/quote]

i really loved tuesday’s with morrie, but i thought the first ten or so pages of 5 people sucked so bad that i put it down, does it really get that much better?

[quote]Diomede wrote:
dune
and anything by plato.[/quote]

DUNE is fucking awesome

Ender’s Game is pretty sweet too if you like the child prodigy aspect of Dune

[quote]elliot007 wrote:
jimmybango wrote:
by Mitch Albom

i really loved tuesday’s with morrie, but i thought the first ten or so pages of 5 people sucked so bad that i put it down, does it really get that much better?
[/quote]

Oh yeah…it gets way better. In fact, you can find the TV movie I’m sure if you’re interested…That’s good too

i’m reading “taliban” by ahmed rashid. it’s dense, but really good shit. afghanistan is one intense and historic place.

1. War as I knew it by George S Patton Jr
  2. Not a good day to Die. I forget the author. A great book about what went wrong during operation Anaconda.
  3. A short history of nearly everything by bill bryson. Explains how scientist know what they know.
  4. A short history of time by steven hawking. An awesome look at the universe we live in.
  5. The one that got away by chris ryan. About a SAS guy who evaded capture in the first iraq war by walking over a hundred miles with little food and water.
  6. Bull’s eye investing by John Mauldin. An investing book with a focus on real returns every year vs buy and hold or indexing. Very interesting.

I’ll post some more as I think of them