Must Protein Be Sweet?

Miserere, have you ever made or eaten pemmican?

Take 1 kg of raw lean beef (rump, flank, and round are good cuts to use) cut into 1/2 inch thick strips, marinate it in slightly diluted Worcestershire sauce for about an hour, then dry it in the oven at a very low heat (don’t cook the meat) until it’s brittle.

Shred it and pound it until it’s the consistency of pencil shavings.

Next, melt 1 kg of suet or lard (beef or pork fat) in a saucepan (again at a very low heat) and let it cool until it’s lukewarm but still liquid.

Drizzle the melted fat over the meat in a big bowl and mix it all up, along with walnuts, dried blueberries, cherries or other nuts and fruit if you like, then mould the whole 2-kilo blob into a big loaf and let it harden.

It’ll stay good for weeks without refrigeration, and you can just tear off chunks whenever you get the urge. That’s as close as I have ever come to real meat protein bars with complex carbs. It is the perfect food.

Obviously, a purist would use sun-dried elk venison and wild blueberries with melted grizzly bear grease, but we use what we has on hand.

Buy the 5 pound tub of Grow! and some chicken or beef broth. You got yourself a savory shake.

For whatever reason, the 5 Lbs tub of Grow! seems to have no flavor whatsoever. Unless you mix it with blueberries, then it tastes like shoes. :confused:

mmmm… Surge…

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Miserere, have you ever made or eaten pemmican?[/quote]

I had never even heard of it. Sounds good…but 1 kg of lard…? I’m no fat-fearer, but 1 whole kg? Damn…

Maybe I’ll try to buy some before I attempt to make my own.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Why is it that it’s only the Brits who understand what I’m saying?[/quote]

Dunno, but I’m thinking a Fish’n’chips protein bar would also be great. It should be high in Omega-3s, of course.

Could it be that whey protein is sweet because of the milk lactose, which concentrates when the curds are separated during the processing? I would imagine that even after ultrafiltration, some lactose remains.

While we’re at it, let’s toss in: Hot Wings flavored MRP. Not those wimpy ones you can get at the grocery store in the bag, but those hot bastards that they make in Texas… the ones that feel like they bruised the inside of your mouth. That would be a good MRP. The anti-sweet MRP.

We could have meatloaf flavored, broccoli for the veggie lovers, calico corn, maybe Jaegermeister flavored, um, left-over mashed potatoes flavored. Let’s get crazy with this idea. Let’s go the direction of jelly Belly and make dirt and booger flavored Metabolic Drive bars.

I’ll answer your question now. The reason the MRPs are so sweet… because America is a nation of fatasses who got too friendly with the Snickers and Caramello bars. If it isn’t sweet, it isn’t selling much. Plain and simple. The ugly truth. Toss some cottage cheese into the mix and dull the sweet taste a bit. Plain yogurt works well that way too.

Isn’t some protein salty?

(>.>)

(<.<)

I’m w/ you on this one; thats why I tend to stick w/ real foods.
I beleive bacon would be totally possible b/c look @ baco-bits.There’s
no real bacon in it, it’s soy an flavoring.

Also awhile back, my grandfather was given a few bottles of what is called “medical grade whey” from his doctor, he uses it in his feeding tube; but hated the way it taste after he’d belch, it would bring up & leave an after taste in his mouth so he gave me his last bottle.

It was unflavored, but there was like a minor chalky taste.I think just due to it’s mixing in water.I tried boulion (sp?) cube.Beef to be exact an it was awesome.

If could find a flavorless whey I’d do the same w/ boulion an sub. w/ that.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Could it be that whey protein is sweet because of the milk lactose, which concentrates when the curds are separated during the processing? I would imagine that even after ultrafiltration, some lactose remains.[/quote]

That could very well be, Momma, which is why I am not talking about whey here, but curds, which is what micellar casein is. The major constituent of Metabolic Drive is essentially powdered cottage cheese.

(I see Tim Patterson is modding right now, so he might come on here and say “oh, no, it’s not! The micellar casein we use is much farther advanced than that…”)

So how 'bout it, Tim? Any savory Metabolic Drive goodies in Biotest’s future?

[quote]4est wrote:

(>.>)

(<.<)[/quote]

To each his protein supplement. Not that there’s anything… well, you know.

Reminds me of the old Greaseman bit where Grease offers conclusive proof that God is male:

“…because if God were a woman, She would have made PWWWWWT (the Greaseman radio code word for ‘semen’) taste like chocolate!”

[quote]4est wrote:

(>.>)

(<.<)[/quote]

And you know this, how???

Interesting, ahaha

[quote]tveddy wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Somehow, I doubt we have the technology to create a ‘bacon & egg’ protein poweder that tastes good and even remotely resembles bacon & eggs. Maybe 20 years from now.

Unless you throw a breakfast burrito in a blender.[/quote]

As long as it was the kind from sonic and had jalepenoes. I would drink that shit all day long.

Breakfast burrito MRP shakes=me on the v diet.

A bowl of miso soup with 50g of protein would be nice.

Protein ramen noodles…

How about some nice “Bachelor Chow” like they have in the future? A bowl of savory kibble that makes its own gravy - and has no carbs.

That would simplify my life significantly.

More and more companies are going for whey without sweeteners…however I’ve thought about this many times before and even considered creating a savoury MRP or protein blend myself in the UK.

If you get a completely unadulatrated whey without bulking agents and stabilisers etc, then it just goes like water when mixed and has virtually no taste. Mix it with a good quality dehydrated soup mix and there you have it.

And whats more, you can put greens powder and veggies in these mixes! Persoanlly think it would be a huge success, especially in the winter! Only issue is the heat and whey degredation, but think this is overhyped.

A friend of mine was on a diet program in which he was regularly sent packages of protein powder. They came in three flavors - vanilla, chocolate and vegetable. The vegetable one tasted just like soup, wasn’t bad at all.

So these products do already exist, though I haven’t seen any since.

Some microwave shakes/soups would be cool.

Make your own?

Shit, buy bulk unflavored protein and add whatever the hell flavoring you want.

Why is this an issue?

I am sure that 40 years ago, while bodybuilders were choking down shakes that tasted like dirt, spit and that smell that garbage gets when it stays in your college dorm room about 3 months too long, that not one ever said, “you know, I bet there will be a day in the future when protein drinks taste SOOOOO good that people will start bitching about it and wishing it tasted like these do right here!!”

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Why is this an issue?

I am sure that 40 years ago, while bodybuilders were choking down shakes that tasted like dirt, spit and that smell that garbage gets when it stays in your college dorm room about 3 months too long, that not one ever said, “you know, I bet there will be a day in the future when protein drinks taste SOOOOO good that people will start bitching about it and wishing it tasted like these do right here!!”[/quote]

Oh, believe me, Professor, if I wanted a protein drink that tasted like dirt, spit, and college dorm room gunk, I could buy the crappy Japanese Xavas protein powder here quite easily.

The reason this is an issue is because I happen to think that Metabolic Drive is a great product, and wish that I could get it in a non-sweet flavor. Ideally, Steak flavor.

Whey is a poor substitute for micellar casein, in my estimation (and in Biotest’s, too, evidently, or they would make Grow! Premium Whey their main product), which is why throwing a packet of instant soup into the blender along with a few scoops of whey protein is not, for me, a satisfying option.

Even unflavored micellar casein and milk protein isolate powder would be hugely appreciated, then I could mix my own, but I doubt that Tim is going to sell me any of his raw materials in bulk.

And I really, really REALLY don’t want to go over to proteinfactory.com and buy any of their cheap-ass unflavored hydrolyzed caseinate, thereby spending money that should rightfully go to Biotest.

(Are you listening, Tim? That is customer loyalty.)

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
I blended a can of tuna until smooth then added some veggies like tomatoes and it was very good. Still a bit too hearthy, but tasted good.[/quote]

Ahh… another connoisseur of the tuna shake! A band of brothers, we are.

I like mine with spinach, flax seeds, and sometimes a bit of miso. But tomato is good too.