T Nation

Must Protein Be Sweet?

Is it just me, or is there anyone else out there who is thoroughly sick of the thoroughly sickly-sweet standard of MRPs and protein shakes?

I don’t mean to knock Metabolic Drive, I love it like I love cunnilingus, but man, that stuff is sweet. I know that sucralose contains negligible calories, but my pancreas gland is easily fooled, and I’m not hungry again for quite a while after drinking an especially large shake. This from a man who is ALWAYS hungry.

Whey proteins mixes are okay, at least with them I can control how sweet they get, but still, I demand a readily-mixable alternative, damn it.

My friend Henry once had to subsist totally on shakes for a few weeks after they wired his jaw shut (because I broke it with a Muay Thai round kick. Sorry, Henry!) His shake of choice was a quart of whole milk with a dash of salt and Tabasco sauce, and a pint of beef blood from the butcher. “Just like the Masai tribesmen,” he said. “I had tons of energy afterwards!”

Well, yeah, great, but I’m not sure I want any BSE or tuberculosis in my shake. It just… how you say… wouldn’t be kosher.

However, Henry’s vampiric culinary adventure gave me an idea: why not a line of Metabolic Drive Real Food Flavor MRPs?

For instance: we could have Bacon & Egg flavor for the early morning, Chinese Chicken Salad flavor for the afternoon (Combo Pizza flavor for cheat days) and Top Sirloin and Baked Potato flavor for the evening. And while we’re at it, why not have Double Espresso flavor Power Drive, and Guinness Stout flavor Surge?

I’m not saying Biotest should trash the current Metabolic Drive flavors. They totally rock. However, someone who drinks a lot of shakes a day (like perhaps someone on the Velocity Diet) might like something not so sweet once in a while.

Anybody else? Or am I a lone voice in the protein wilderness?

I don’t find Metabolic Drive to be terribly sweet. I have had powders before that obviously went overboard on the sweetners, but Metabolic Drive isn’t so bad.

Of course Metabolic Drive complete is sweeter than the low carb versions, but I’m sure I don’t need to explain why.

Maybe salt the rim of your cup like a margarita?

I would try it.

V

Grow! Whey in the 5ib. tub is not sweet at all.

On a scale of 1-10 with Metabolic Drive being an “8” I would rate this stuff at about a “2”. It’s a different formulation but I don’t notice a difference.

It’s not animal blood…but yah get what yah pay for!

Somehow, I doubt we have the technology to create a ‘bacon & egg’ protein poweder that tastes good and even remotely resembles bacon & eggs. Maybe 20 years from now.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Somehow, I doubt we have the technology to create a ‘bacon & egg’ protein poweder that tastes good and even remotely resembles bacon & eggs. Maybe 20 years from now.[/quote]

Unless you throw a breakfast burrito in a blender.

I never really thought about the fact that protein powders are always chocoltae or strawberry or whatever.
I don’t think I want to drink anything that tastes meaty or eggy.

[quote]Nards wrote:
I never really thought about the fact that protein powders are always chocoltae or strawberry or whatever.
I don’t think I want to drink anything that tastes meaty or eggy.[/quote]

You have never drunk soup, then, I take it.

If Biotest ever came out with a MRP that tasted anything like beef stew… or hell, even beef bouillon, I would buy it by the case.

You mean Guinness isn’t an MRP?

Damn, and I was thinking this V-Diet was way too enjoyable!

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
If Biotest ever came out with a MRP that tasted anything like beef stew… or hell, even beef bouillon, I would buy it by the case.
[/quote]

Actually that would be great, protein bouillon mixed with a bunch of veggies. That would be a nice between meal snack.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Nards wrote:
I never really thought about the fact that protein powders are always chocoltae or strawberry or whatever.
I don’t think I want to drink anything that tastes meaty or eggy.

You have never drunk soup, then, I take it.

If Biotest ever came out with a MRP that tasted anything like beef stew… or hell, even beef bouillon, I would buy it by the case.
[/quote]

I already blended a can of tuna until smooth then added some veggies like tomatoes and it was very good. Still a bit to hearthy, but tasted good.

I don’t mind the sweet protein drinks, but what I would definitely be up for is savory protein bars. Sure, every once in a while I enjoy a faux chocolate protein bar, but what I would really want is a BBQ Ribs protein bar, or a Chicken Fajita bar, or a Bold Beef bar, or a Teriyaki Chicken bar, or a… You get the picture.

So that’s my question: Why do protein bars have to be sweet.

And if somebody says “just eat jerky” I’ll shout at them very loudly over the internet. There is a difference between a protein bar with complex carbs that tastes like meat and just jerky.

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
I already blended a can of tuna until smooth then added some veggies like tomatoes and it was very good. Still a bit to hearthy, but tasted good.

[/quote]

Why would you blend solid food into a nasty concoction when you could, ya know, just eat it and enjoy it?

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
Varqanir wrote:
If Biotest ever came out with a MRP that tasted anything like beef stew… or hell, even beef bouillon, I would buy it by the case.

Actually that would be great, protein bouillon mixed with a bunch of veggies. That would be a nice between meal snack.
[/quote]

Right? And it wouldn’t have to be fancy, just micellar casein, dehydrated beef stock, dehydrated vegetables, sea salt and pepper. There could be the whole line of low-carb, full-carb, and complete. I don’t know if mixing it with hot water would destroy the micellar casein (Tim? Any input?), but you could always drink it cold and pretend it’s vichyssoise.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
I don’t mind the sweet protein drinks, but what I would definitely be up for is savory protein bars. Sure, every once in a while I enjoy a faux chocolate protein bar, but what I would really want is a BBQ Ribs protein bar, or a Chicken Fajita bar, or a Bold Beef bar, or a Teriyaki Chicken bar, or a… You get the picture.
[/quote]

Yes! Yes! Yes!!

Why is it that it’s only the Brits who understand what I’m saying? Friggin’ candy bar chompin’ milk shake guzzlin’ sweet tooth Yanks just don’t get it.

no, i’m with you. Metabolic Drive is in my rotation but it is waaay sweet to me. sickly sweet. but that’s where my palate is anyway. i grew up in a house without soda, candy, or capn’ crunch so i really don’t like sweet anything. girls who look in my freezer are horrified to find rum raisin and buttered pecan.

the chocolate/peanut butter flavor of ‘san infusion’ tastes really natural so i like that one. and their berry-yogurt actually tastes great if you add greens plus to it, which is kind of weird but that’s the way it is.

Foods that taste sweet are the plague of the modern world.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
I don’t mind the sweet protein drinks, but what I would definitely be up for is savory protein bars. Sure, every once in a while I enjoy a faux chocolate protein bar, but what I would really want is a BBQ Ribs protein bar, or a Chicken Fajita bar, or a Bold Beef bar, or a Teriyaki Chicken bar, or a… You get the picture.

So that’s my question: Why do protein bars have to be sweet.

And if somebody says “just eat jerky” I’ll shout at them very loudly over the internet. There is a difference between a protein bar with complex carbs that tastes like meat and just jerky.[/quote]

But jerky IS meat, it doesn’t just taste like meat, it really and truely is meat.
Complex carbs? Eat jerky and a carrot. The way I see it, If you want a good meal, fix a good meal, if you want something quick fix something quick.

If the shakes are too sweet, why don’t you just add more water?

Or if you want beef flavor, add some beef, or a beef based soup to your shake.

You want a bacon and egg flavored shake, cook up some bacon and eggs, then throw them in the blender with your shake. Or add some hard boiled eggs to your shake.

[quote]tpa wrote:
If the shakes are too sweet, why don’t you just add more water?

Or if you want beef flavor, add some beef, or a beef based soup to your shake.

You want a bacon and egg flavored shake, cook up some bacon and eggs, then throw them in the blender with your shake. Or add some hard boiled eggs to your shake.[/quote]

Nah, you’re missing the point, my friend.

The issue is not necessarily that it is too sweet, it is that it is sweet at all.

Obviously, I can mix up a kickass non-sweet high-protein micellar casein shake with cottage cheese, chicken or beef broth and spinach in the blender in about five minutes. If I’m bulking, I might throw in some heavy cream (or maybe some coconut milk and Thai curry paste). That’s not a problem.

The problem is, I am not always inclined to open up a can of broth, a container of cooked spinach, a carton of cottage cheese and cream, and fire up the blender at 2 AM when I’m hankering for some protein. I suppose I could mix it all up beforehand, and stick it in the fridge or something…

HOWEVER, it would sure be nice if I could just open up a big old tub of Steak flavor Metabolic Drive, throw a few scoops in a shaker, and shake it up with some ice water and a shot of Tabasco. That’s what I want.

Whether it is in Biotest’s interests to create a product for such a tiny niche market is another matter. So far, it seems only about three people (four if you count Rockscar) think this is a good idea. Ah, well, maybe I’ll experiment on my own.