T Nation

Muslim Sprinter from Bahrain


I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but the Muslim female sprinter in last night’s 200 meter sprint looked hilarious.
Anybody else get a laugh out of it?

How funny that sports is the analog of religion. In fact, sports is the second opiate of the masses if you ask me.

But to answer your question:

I did not see it. Though, can you say that it is hilarious that the athlete is not willing to sacrifice her values for her sport?

We commend people for sacrificing everything for their sport, and we call it “dedication,” but why is it any different if the person tries to reconcile their belief system with their work ethic for their sport? Sort of like the thread on bodybuilding during the month of Ramadan.

I just see it as a exercise in problem solving; that problem being the month of fasting that throws in a monkey wrench at physiology and a structured diet/lifting regimen.

Just curious.

How did she place, anyway?

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but the Muslim female sprinter in last night’s 200 meter sprint looked hilarious.
Anybody else get a laugh out of it?[/quote]

Most people that say ‘I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but’ usually are.

But I’ll play. With all offence intended, I must say that her head is almost as aerodynamic as yours.

Funny is the fact that she runs faster than you ever have and ever will.

RESPEKT

She won the gold in the 200 M.
Her time was 23.19 seconds.

I think she beat Susanthika Jayasinghe from Sri Lanka. First Sri Lankan to win a Olympic medal.

Which sucks since i am Sri Lankan!

Bahrain’s Ruqaya Al Ghasara achieved something that most of us will not.

Respect.

I’m going to try to be as PC as possible.

In this world we are so cautious as not to be offensive, when sometimes maybe it might do some good?
I mean look how we treat people on here :smiley:

The fact is that women in this country and I’m sure others have fought very hard for equal rights, why is it any different because religion comes into play when women of another culture are treated with less respect.

Why should they have to wear something to cover their whole body because the men of that country/religion can’t seem to have an open mind and realize it’s not 200 A.D anymore…

Maybe I’m way off and being offensive here. I’m not trying to be disrespectful, quite the opposite.

[quote]TKOWKD1 wrote:
entheogens wrote:
I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but the Muslim female sprinter in last night’s 200 meter sprint looked hilarious.
Anybody else get a laugh out of it?

Most people that say ‘I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but’ usually are.

But I’ll play. With all offence intended, I must say that her head is almost as aerodynamic as yours.

Funny is the fact that she runs faster than you ever have and ever will.

RESPEKT[/quote]

I don’t think he genuinely meant to be disrespectful, and to me, intent is more important than impact (usually). So, I think you are overreacting to what you have misconstrued to be his message.

I think what he meant was that it’s not a common sight at all in sports, with which I agree.

‘I hope that my wearing the hijood sports top will inspire other women to see that modesty or religious beliefs don�??t have to be a barrier to participating in competitive sports.’

             - Bahrain's Ruqaya Al Ghasara

[quote]isuru wrote:
She won the gold in the 200 M.
Her time was 23.19 seconds.

I think she beat Susanthika Jayasinghe from Sri Lanka. First Sri Lankan to win a Olympic medal.

Which sucks since i am Sri Lankan!

Bahrain’s Ruqaya Al Ghasara achieved something that most of us will not.

Respect. [/quote]

I respect her accomplishments and that she has not compromised her beliefs, while achieving great results. However, she DID NOT win the gold or any other medal in the Women’s 200M at the Beijing Olympics. She came in sixth in her semifinal and did not advance to the final.

The results:
Gold - Veronica Campbell-Brown, Jamaica, 21.74
Silver - Allyson Felix, USA, 21.93
Bronze - Kerron Stewart, Jamaica, 22.00

John

[quote]entheogens wrote:
I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but the Muslim female sprinter in last night’s 200 meter sprint looked hilarious.
Anybody else get a laugh out of it?[/quote]

Yep, she looks ridiculous.

I certainly mean to be disrespectful when I shake make my head in disbelief over such stupid nonsense!

If there is a one god with a beard, it would be mighty arrogant to think he gives a fuck about the way we dress.

It’s absurd anyway, since she’s standing next to half naked athlets.

Great athlete though, even more awesome since her opponents were probably clad in those tight hightech cheetahskintex 3000.

Cakewalk you are right. I defiantly read the article wrong.

[quote]isuru wrote:
She won the gold in the 200 M.
Her time was 23.19 seconds.

I think she beat Susanthika Jayasinghe from Sri Lanka. First Sri Lankan to win a Olympic medal.

How did you get that wrong?

haha… i don’t know. I read the semifinal part and somehow managed to mix it up. My bad bro.

[quote]TKOWKD1 wrote:
Most people that say ‘I don’t mean to be disrespectful, but’ usually are.
[/quote]

You are probably right. However, my response was based on the spectacle. I just found that it looked like a cartoon. You see all of these scantily clad women and then there is this ONE that is chasing them (as someone pointed out, she came in sixth) wearing a hijab and long pants.

Even if I hadn’t known she was Muslim, I would have found the sight funny. It was funny. I make no apologies for laughing.

Now I have read a little bit about the woman and know that she has had to fight the ultra-conservative Muslim mentality just to compete in sprinting. Good for her.

Here she is again. On the track field, giving praise to Allah. Now I am against school prayer but I guess track and field prayer is ok.

But it always kills me when you see these athletes thanking God for having let them win. You see this sometimes with american football players, “I just want to thank GEEZUS for letting us win.” As if the son of God had nothing better to do!

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Why should they have to wear something to cover their whole body because the men of that country/religion can’t seem to have an open mind and realize it’s not 200 A.D anymore…
.[/quote]

I hope this woman will inspire the Amish to get involved with womens sports :slight_smile:

Hopefully, there is some branch of paganism that requires women to go naked. Let’s really hope that they get involved in Olympic competition.

Seriously.

Why would jeeeeeezus help you win an event when he could be helping other people around the world, far less fortunate and starving?

I do thank God for Monica Bellucci. Had his A-game on when he created her.

Oh, and sour gummy worms. My favorite PWO snack.

I thought that was great she did not compromise her religion for the sport. But then again, I’m Muslim, so I am partial to fellow Muslims.

There are plenty of other female Olympic athletes who are Muslim, but do not dress the part as this track sprinter did.

Im not saying this is true, but there is speculation that it might be a man competing.
Just a thought.

I don’t give a shit what she wears, more power to her. What I do give a shit about is when an American Muslim refuses to ring up alcohol or pork, or a cab driver (Muslim) who won’t transport passengers because they are carrying the above mentioned products.

But in all seriousness, Damn I didn’t know lixy ran track.