T Nation

Muslim Religion In CA Schools

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
We get school off on Sunday. And off on Saturday for jews.

Isn’t this just about the same shit?[/quote]

Nope. Even the USSR took those days off. It’s not the same as setting aside time during the course of school day for muslims to pray, vs. letting anybody else have time to pray.

When I say christian I don’t mean Catholic. Get your beliefs straight. I mean a person that believes that Jesus Christ was the son of GOD, that he sacrificed himself for our sins, And that our faith in that is what saves us. I don’t merit many organized religions, most of them masked bureaucracy. Especially the catholic church.

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
When I say christian I don’t mean Catholic. Get your beliefs straight. I mean a person that believes that Jesus Christ was the son of GOD, that he sacrificed himself for our sins, And that our faith in that is what saves us. I don’t merit many organized religions, most of them masked bureaucracy. Especially the catholic church.

[/quote]

I’ll take this time to teach you.

Adams - Unitarian: the belief in the single personality of God, in contrast to the doctrine of the Trinity (three persons in one God). It is the philosophy upon which the modern Unitarian movement was based, and, according to its proponents, is the original form of Christianity.

Unitarian Christians believe in the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth, as found in the New Testament and other early Christian writings, and hold him up as an exemplar." Exemplar, not son, not savior, not a trinity, not catholic and barely Christian. That’s like moral Christianity; it holds no real belief just restrictions.

Wheres the ACLU, the nuts that Lixy cuddles so much and holds them dearly to his chin…
Must there mouth be full of something???
I dare not think, maybe we are right and they have no argument against the facts.

Separation of church and state, a fact. Christians not allowed to pray yet a Muslim is allowed 15 minutes of time, what makes it worse is that its an elementary school, this kids care about running around not rolling mats out.

I personally am inclined to let this one go and not make a big deal out of it. They’re probably just trying to avoid getting bombed.

[quote]fastwrx05 wrote:
The point here is not why are muslims allowed 15 minutes to pray and if Christians want to pray they can do so silently, it is the fact that NO Christians would be allowed to have an alloted time for prayer. It is simple to see that who’s side groups like the ACLU are on. It is an assult on Christianity.[/quote]

Not quite. It rather is an assault on common sense.

Are you saying when a Christian bows his head and engages in silent prayer, the religious gestapo barges down the door and arrests him?

Cause THAT would make in an assault on Christianity. Anything else would make in an assault on common sense. And you would do the assaulting.

I don’t see what is so hard to understand about the establishment clause. The 1st amendment means what it f’ing says. I, however, believe in the Jeffersonian interpretation of there being a “wall of seperation” and not some small thin line.

But they aren’t giving the christians 15 min to pray.

It would be different if they gave 15 min to observe whatever religion you practice. but that is not the case.

I’d be curious to know if anybody on this thread even knows the basic guidelines for how and how often Muslims pray, and the particular time constraints that they have to deal with.

[quote]belligerent wrote:
I personally am inclined to let this one go and not make a big deal out of it. They’re probably just trying to avoid getting bombed.[/quote]

Yup. See my post above.

I honestly don’t see why any Muslims from foreign lands wants to move here, to the USA. Our culture (of making oneself happy) is so different from their culture, it would be like an American moving to Mars.

Can any American here imagine moving to and living in a Middle Eastern culture? I don’t mean living on a military base or at a westernized hotel, but right in the neighborhoods and homes?

[quote]saroachman wrote:
I’d be curious to know if anybody on this thread even knows the basic guidelines for how and how often Muslims pray, and the particular time constraints that they have to deal with.[/quote]

Who gives a rat’s ass about that? Why should we make every effort to understand and accomodate their culture but they don’t have to be bothered to understand ours?

It pisses me off when I have to be careful about what I say or do, so as to not offend someone.

I once called Tiki Barber articulate. The black members here went nuts. I was supposed to understand that calling a black man articulate is an insult. They, however, didn’t need to understand that a white person might use the term as a compliment.

Its the same thing here with Muslims: if you take a job in a grocery store, then YES! you have to touch the pork products or sell someone alcohol. You take a job driving a cab then YES! you have to pick up a Hassidic Jew. Go to an American school? Then YES! you have to follow the rules everyone else does.

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
But that is not the argument, the argument is that if we couldn’t meet at the flag pole they weren’t taking up the hall. [/quote]

Something is seriously wrong when you start talking in terms of “we” and “they”.

May God have mercy on our souls.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Nope. Even the USSR took those days off. It’s not the same as setting aside time during the course of school day for muslims to pray, vs. letting anybody else have time to pray.[/quote]

Your USSR example proves nothing. They had to have a weekend anyway and it made more sense to keep the one they already had.

A Christian is required to pray on Sunday, not five times a day.

Go to Saudi Arabia or Algeria and see what days constitute a weekend there.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
saroachman wrote:
I’d be curious to know if anybody on this thread even knows the basic guidelines for how and how often Muslims pray, and the particular time constraints that they have to deal with.

Who gives a rat’s ass about that? Why should we make every effort to understand and accomodate their culture but they don’t have to be bothered to understand ours?

It pisses me off when I have to be careful about what I say or do, so as to not offend someone.

I once called Tiki Barber articulate. The black members here went nuts. I was supposed to understand that calling a black man articulate is an insult. They, however, didn’t need to understand that a white person might use the term as a compliment.

Its the same thing here with Muslims: if you take a job in a grocery store, then YES! you have to touch the pork products or sell someone alcohol. You take a job driving a cab then YES! you have to pick up a Hassidic Jew. Go to an American school? Then YES! you have to follow the rules everyone else does.

[/quote]

What’s funny here is that Saroachman may be right in a way he doesn’t know. I’ve been told by people from Algeria that they do have 4 prayers a day, and at specific time if time permits, but if not, they just make up for it later in the day. Do you think plant workers get 15 min 3-4 times a day? Nope! Do the muslim teaching a class of christians interrupt class to pray? Don’t think so…

Our own ignorance of the tenets of other culture/faith/ethnicity and our pusilanimous politically correctness is used against us.

In this instance, I don’t care what their faith are. They can practice it whenever they want, I don’t mind at all. But in public, non-religious institutions? That’s a big no no. Law’s for everyone, and to be called a law it should apply the same to everyone.

Makes me think of the times when Jews or Muslims wanted the legislation changed in order to be judged under their own standards. Ya, right.

Lixy you have obviously never done anything competitive in your life. Life is full of “we” and “they”, “us” and “them”. Get a dose of reality sometime.

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
Lixy you have obviously never done anything competitive in your life. Life is full of “we” and “they”, “us” and “them”. Get a dose of reality sometime.[/quote]

Competition in religion? Whatever happened to “freedom of faith”?

Why do we have Sunday off? We should have school and work on Sunday. Saturday too.

/Thread

there shouldn’t be any of this prayer shit at school period. muslim, christian, or otherwise. you are ther to fucking learn, do it.

i don’t give a flying fuck about anyones time restrictions. you CHOSE to go to that school, so follow the same damn rules as everyone else. if you dont like it, then you can use that FREEDOM OF CHOICE you have to get home schooled or some other alternative.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Why do we have Sunday off? We should have school and work on Sunday. Saturday too.

/Thread[/quote]

I work on Sundays and Saturdays. What the hell, did I miss the memo?

Are Christians not allowed to pray during school? I’m pretty sure that if the entire Christian population agreed that they needed to practice their faith for 15 minutes during school, the school would let them.