T Nation

Musical Deadlifts

Is it bad to change your DL form every other Deadlifting session? Will it be harder to make progress on your Conventional Deadlifts?

Session 1.–Conventional Deadlift + Rack Pulls

Session 2.–Sumo

Session 3.–Romanians + Goodmornings

Session 4.–Hack lifts + Trap Bar Deads (sometimes from a deficite, sometimes not)

Repeat

I don’t do this for muscle confusion or whatever you want to call it. I do it becuse I love Deadlifts, I love pretty much every kind of Deadlift. I love pulling heavy weighs off the floor when I do hacks and sumos, I love the crazy burn in my forearms when I do Romanians. Sometimes I substitute Sumo for SLDLs, Sometimes in session 4, I will skip the Hack Lifts and do Conventionals.

I know the only way to get better at something is to do it over and over. And the only way to lift heavier on Conventionals (which is my main test of stregnth) is to pull, pull, pull. But even though I only pull conventional 1-2 times every 17 days, i still make good gains. I still increase at a steady rate.

I really just would like someones take on this.
Has anyone else done anything like this?
Will this work in theory? (work as in, your able to increase your numbers steadily without hitting to many plateaus)

Yes, yes I know, I should have posted this in the beginners forum. I relized I was posting this here after I was 3/4 done. :stuck_out_tongue: I am sorry.

i’d keep with the same variation for 3-5 weeks then change it.

You deadlift twice a week? Are you focusing on the weight and working in the lower rep ranges or higher rep ranges (not really important to the answer, I’m just curious)?

If it works keep doing it until it doesn’t. Then change. Maybe focus on speed or use chains /bands.

This is essentially the conjugate method. Read this if you aren’t familiar or check out any of Tate’s articles:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/conjugate-method.htm

If it works for you and you’re seeing good progress, do it. Personally I used to do regular deadlifting heavy once a week consistantly when I first started doing them. I’ve always kept reps low and just tried to pull consistently heavier weights. I progressed for a while but eventually stopped. Now I may vary it week by week depending how normal deadlifts go. The only way for me personally to lift heavily (most days attempting prs) is to switch up between conventional , low rack pulls, and heavy but not max pr attempt rdls.

For example one week after not being able to pull 390 off the ground at all I did 5 singles out of the rack with 365 and then one with 385. The next week I pulled 385 off the ground but my grip gave out mid rep.

I feel it matters how you recover from and progress with not always doing conventional deadlifts vs consistently doing conventional deads. Whichever produces the better results/helps you reach your goals is the all the theory you need.

Why not try doing both/ other different different ideas, keep a log of your workouts and see which works best for you.

If you’re making progress, stick with it. Your body grows accustomed to routines and begins to plateau after a certain amount of time. Continual changing of rep schemes and such will make sure this never happens, thought it may lead to decreased gains.
just my .02

The biggest and strogest guy in my gym does all deadlift variations in one workout. He does about 20-30 sets of deadlifts, heavy singles, triples and fivers. While it may sound dumb at first, it clearly works for him. So stick with whatever works for you.

[quote]gone heavy wrote:
You deadlift twice a week? Are you focusing on the weight and working in the lower rep ranges or higher rep ranges (not really important to the answer, I’m just curious)?

If it works keep doing it until it doesn’t. Then change. Maybe focus on speed or use chains /bands.

This is essentially the conjugate method. Read this if you aren’t familiar or check out any of Tate’s articles:

[/quote]

No, I deadlift 4-5 times in a 16-20 day period.

My first deadlifting session is Deadlifts+full back workout (includes traps)

Second session- Deads+ traps/power clean work and stretches

Third- Deads + Leg work (hamstring and glute focus)

Fourth- Deads +leg work (Quad focus)

On my conventional DL days all my target rep ranges are in the 6-10 area.

Romanians- Ill go for the 8-12, sometimes even 15, but not relly often.

Any Trap-bar deads and Sumo work is in the 5x5 or 6x8 range.

Lol, no particular reason for this I guess.
It just feels better to work with high reps on one. Low reps on another style. I really dont like heavy sets on my romanians, because my form always falls apart.

[quote]gone heavy wrote:

[/quote]

It just feels better to work with high reps on one. Low reps on another style. I really dont like heavy sets on my romanians, because my form always falls apart.

[quote]gone heavy wrote:

[/quote]

i like it, very interesting XD

Thanks fr the comments guys. I ahve always made good progress witht this program. I think I will keep with it. Ill report back to you after my back workout today to tell you what I did. How my DL’s worked out.