T Nation

Music Player for the Gym?

So, I was at the shops today planning on upgrading my ear phones for my iPod nano, hoping to get something that would help with blocking out the sound of Justin Beaver etc. that my gym likes to play.

Anyway I got talking to the hipster store attendant and his pretty much telling me that my iPod setup is old Skool and obsolete, and I should be looking to Bluetooth my tunes via my phone to a pair of wireless ear phones.

Before I spend all this cash on upgrading my tech, I thought I better ask you guys for some advice.

How do you play your music at the gym? Is Bluetooth reliable? Does that mean I have to walk around with my phone? What type of ear phones should I look at… it doesn’t have to be 100% noise cancelling, but atleast something to soften the sound of Justin.

tweet

I use bluetooth headphones linked to my phone. No cords to get in the way, can leave my phone in my gym bag instead of swinging around in my pocket and I can listen to whatever music I have downloaded or to Amazon Prime stations.

The latest ones, and the ones I like the best, I got from Amazon:

2 Likes

Also Justin Beiber is nothing, try lifting to Ed Sheeran.

1 Like

Phone and Bluetooth headphones only way to go.

1 Like

How far does my phone have to be for the Bluetooth to work?

I don’t want to have to walk around with my phone everywhere.

tweet

Depends on the headphones. They have different ranges. I have over the ear headphones and in a unobstructed area I know they will work 120 ft

1 Like

If you go that route you will have to carry your phone on the gym floor. Bluetooth very line of sight and sucks battery power like no other. My music only I-whatever the f its called from apple has a bluetooth transmitter but I still use the wire because I can get 4 days(3 hours at the gym per day) of battery use. With bluetooth I have to recharge every 5-6 hours. I prefer Bose Noise canceling over the ear headphones with the apple device clipped to the head band.

1 Like

Yeah unless you walk 100m from one end of the gym to the other leaving your bag and phone at one need you’ll be alright

I suppose the battery drainage is my main concern. Plus I like my tech to be easy to use etc.

tweet

I have Bose head phones and I just leave my phone somewhere central to where I’ll be working out. Usually enough range to go to opposite ends of the gym without losing the signal and battery lasts a long time. Several days with heavy usage. I also have skull candy ear buds ($40) they have a shorter range but get the job done. Once you switch to blue tooth u won’t go back.

1 Like