T Nation

Music Organization Software

I had a bunch of songs that I burned to CDs, then I transferred them all to a DVD-R disk. However, all the information tags are gone. Does anybody know of any software that automatically can fill in these tags, ie: I take all the songs by the Smashing Pumpkins and drag it somewhere, it fills the artist tag with “Smashing Pumpkins”? Anything to keep me from doing all this shit manually. My mp3 player is about 70% Unknown Album - Unknown Artist.

[quote]BJJRaver wrote:
I had a bunch of songs that I burned to CDs, then I transferred them all to a DVD-R disk. However, all the information tags are gone. Does anybody know of any software that automatically can fill in these tags, ie: I take all the songs by the Smashing Pumpkins and drag it somewhere, it fills the artist tag with “Smashing Pumpkins”? Anything to keep me from doing all this shit manually. My mp3 player is about 70% Unknown Album - Unknown Artist.[/quote]

Windows media player.

[quote]BJJRaver wrote:
I had a bunch of songs that I burned to CDs, then I transferred them all to a DVD-R disk. However, all the information tags are gone. Does anybody know of any software that automatically can fill in these tags, ie: I take all the songs by the Smashing Pumpkins and drag it somewhere, it fills the artist tag with “Smashing Pumpkins”? Anything to keep me from doing all this shit manually. My mp3 player is about 70% Unknown Album - Unknown Artist.[/quote]

YES.

MusicBrainz

http://musicbrainz.org/

It analyzes the song and then mathches the algorithm to the central database to tell you what the song is.

I used the Beta of MusicBrainz Picard… but there are a couple of other tools on the site (like the classic version).

Try it and see if it works.

With things like media player, it can only fill in extra missing info provided you have something like artist, and track number to start it off with.

This fills in completely unknown files.

-Bruce

You’re welcome.