T Nation

Music in Your Gym

What music is flowing through your ears in your Gym?

Personally, I bring my Ipod Nano into the gym everyday because I can’t stand to listen to what our Gym blasts all day, every day. I mean they havent changed their satellite radio station since i’ve been a member.

It’s some dance party station on Sirius. They never change it, always the same songs. A lot of people listen to their ipods, cell phones now in the gym. Whatever happened to playing a variety of music?

Back in college I remember there used to be different stations playing during different times of the day. You could even pick up a schedule of the different times different music would be playing. The point of this thread is to get an idea what everyone elses Gym’s are like in respect to music being played!

I recently got one of the new ipod nanos, but the feeling of headphones or earbuds distract me, and I find myself listening to music rather than moving weights.

Unfortunately, the reason I wanted to use the ipod was partly because of the crappy music they play at the gym. My gym is always on a XM station as well. It seems that each time I go they play the exact same songs that I heard the last time. Stuff like Maroon 5 and Panic at the disco. Quite annoying voices, if you ask me.

[quote]Raven3606 wrote:
What music is flowing through your ears in your Gym?
[/quote]

The sound of weights clanking about.

…but it’s overshadowed by some very annoying melodic noise.

Go figure.

I think most gyms play to the masses and it usually ends up being some sort of pop mix. Mine is no different. I also have an Ipod nano to drown out the pure ass they play. So this is what flows through my ears:

Pantera, Metallica, Helmet, Rage Against the Machine, and so on.

Mine plays a bunch of pop: Justin Timberlake, Hillary Duff, Ashley Simpson, etc. I don’t have an mp3 player, or even a Discman, so I have to try to tune it out.

I’m thinking about getting an mp3 player, although I’m not sure I could get used to working out with one.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
Mine plays a bunch of pop: Justin Timberlake, Hillary Duff, Ashley Simpson, etc. I don’t have an mp3 player, or even a Discman, so I have to try to tune it out.

I’m thinking about getting an mp3 player, although I’m not sure I could get used to working out with one.[/quote]

Trust me, it won’t take long. And then you will wonder how you survived without it. One tip. Run the cord under your shirt so it doesn’t flop around and get caught during a lift. That is annoying.

It is also great, in my opinion, for tuning others out in the gym and actually allows me to concentrate more on what I’m doing. Less distraction.

*edit- don’t use a diskman. That would be too awkward. Besides with am MP3 player you can have multiple albums.

It would be interesting to have a DJ set up in a gym. Possibly taking requests or just jamming out some hardcore mixes or tunes to get everyone going. It would be interesting, but it could be a distraction. I dont mind the loud sounds of iron plates hitting eachother either.

[quote]Raven3606 wrote:
It would be interesting to have a DJ set up in a gym. Possibly taking requests or just jamming out some hardcore mixes or tunes to get everyone going. It would be interesting, but it could be a distraction. I dont mind the loud sounds of iron plates hitting eachother either.[/quote]

A DJ in a gym? What kind of crack have you been smoking?

I got about 10,000 songs on my 80GB Ipod…usually i throw some hard shit on there like Metacllica, Godsmack, Rage, etc. Gets me pumped!

i always bring my ipod…but my gym Strong and Shapely in NJ, always plays good stuff…im pretty sure its Octane Radio on Sirius? could be wrong, but its mostly Metallica, Mudvayne, Seether, Godsmack, Pantera, all the good shit!