T Nation

Music Help

I know theres heaps of posts on here about good and bad music but I need some specific help. Im starting to get more into metal as it helps me when i lift but I cant stand all the screaming where i cant here the vocals, and i like melodys. I often listen to killswitch engage but find myself listening to the song 'end of heartache' and 'declaration' over and over as they have a small amount of singing aswell as the screaming. Ive tried listening to some of the older stuff(slayer,iron maiden) where the vocals are clearer but the voices seem boring and dont particularly motivate me. I often find myself just going back to disturbed but am starting to get sick of it and i know what you people who know real metal would think about this. Anyone have any ideas of music?

Older Metallica, specifically anything off of Master of Puppets or ...And Justice For All. Personally I think that was the best sound for them, in terms of James' voice. That's also some of the best music ever written. Period.

Fear Factory, some clown is gonna tell you only the first one or two albums are good but I'd go all the way to Obselete to find awesome music. FF is the first band that comes to my head.

Oh shit, and Pantera (everything you can find) and White Zombie too. Download "Feed the Gods" and "Soul-Crusher"

Yeah, FF is very good. I actually like Obsolete the best out of all their albums. I've also recently gotten into Rammstein. Their music is excellent, even though it's mostly in German. Probably my favorite band at the moment.

How can you guys not like Demanufacture? I can see why you might not dig Soul of a new Machine, it's basically deathmetal, but no love for Demanufacture? Man i'd say it's every bit as good as Obsolete.

Some power Metal stuff that you might possibly like could be Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica,Iron MAiden, Suidakra, Ensiferum. If you like something like Killswitch, In Flames and Arch Enemy could be to your liking, as well as Shadows Fall.

Some power Metal stuff that you might possibly like could be Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica,Iron MAiden, Suidakra, Ensiferum. If you like something like Killswitch, In Flames and Arch Enemy could be to your liking, as well as Shadows Fall.

Megadeth, Marty Friedman, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, Sonata Arctica, Pantera, Maiden, Priest

I'm basically rehashing what people have said, but yeah, power metal has got the melodies. Also, the older metal has not so much screaming.

Black Label Society

TOOL! Older Megadeth! Rammstein!

Also, not metal, but good hard rock and awesome music for lifting: Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Flogging Molly, Rage Against the Machine, Nine Inch Nails, AC/DC, Vast, and last but not least, Tempest.

I hear ya. Demanufacture was an excellent album. Groundbreaking stuff when it was released too.

I worked with a guy that played a few shows with Fear Factory in the LA area a long time ago, so I went out and bought Obsolete and loved it. Didn't like their follow up album, but I just got Transgression about a month ago and I think it's pretty good.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Try "dr. feelgood" and "Kickstart my heart" by motley crue. Also try "spotlight" and "let me out" by future leaders of the world.

If you don't like screaming that much, try Nevermore and Susperia, a couple of bands that play good hard metal, without too terribly much screaming.

I agree....if by "pretty good" you mean "sucked serious ass...and not that good sort of ass sucking either...I'm talking sweaty ass sucking"

I've recently found a band called
Beyond the Embrace
and their album
"Insect Song" which was called "the album St. Anger should have been". Its loaded with heavyness, melodic riffs/solos, screaming, and powerful vocals. Its an all around great album that would get anyone pumped.