T Nation

Muscles Twitch/Fall Asleep

This is something that I’ve been really wondering about, as it happens to me quite often.
Ever felt your leg just twitch uncontrollably, my eyelids have done it too. One side at a time of course, it’s not like some wierd muscle spasm, just imagine the fastest contraction possible for a certain muscle.
Like as if you flexed it, but it’s so fast, that you couldn’t possibly flex and relax that fast.
AND it’s completely isolated, meaning that when my quad twitches, it’s not just my whole quad, it’s JUST my medial head.
My bicep is prob the most effected muscle group. I would just put my hand on it and feel it twitch, without my conscious effort. FUCKIN WEIRD
I know it has to be something to do with my nerves but does that mean it has to do with my sodium levels, wtf ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN?!?

ALSO my limbs fall asleep really easily, my hands, feet, whole arm, etc.
it’s like all of a sudden, my veins bulge more so they are easier to cut off circulation to, as this has only occurred since I’ve been noticeably more vascular.
ONCE AGAIN, ANYONE?

This is a common symptom of voodoo magic. Chances are some down on his luck shaman found a scrap of your hair recently and is trying to enact his influence over you. Usually, these cases are just to get a sandwich or maybe $5, but it has been known to lead to more serious conditions. Now, I’m not fully qualified to diagnose the situation, but, in my experience, a good course of action would be to host a jamboree.

Might be a circulation or a muscle tension issue. Does it happen regularly or only post workout? Could be mineral levels… You could be infected with parasites!

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
This is a common symptom of voodoo magic. Chances are some down on his luck shaman found a scrap of your hair recently and is trying to enact his influence over you. Usually, these cases are just to get a sandwich or maybe $5, but it has been known to lead to more serious conditions. Now, I’m not fully qualified to diagnose the situation, but, in my experience, a good course of action would be to host a jamboree. [/quote]

I agree. Another good reason to collect and dispose of your toenails clippings…

[quote]caselorance wrote:
This is something that I’ve been really wondering about, as it happens to me quite often.
Ever felt your leg just twitch uncontrollably, my eyelids have done it too. One side at a time of course, it’s not like some wierd muscle spasm, just imagine the fastest contraction possible for a certain muscle.
Like as if you flexed it, but it’s so fast, that you couldn’t possibly flex and relax that fast.
AND it’s completely isolated, meaning that when my quad twitches, it’s not just my whole quad, it’s JUST my medial head.
My bicep is prob the most effected muscle group. I would just put my hand on it and feel it twitch, without my conscious effort. FUCKIN WEIRD
I know it has to be something to do with my nerves but does that mean it has to do with my sodium levels, wtf ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN?!?

ALSO my limbs fall asleep really easily, my hands, feet, whole arm, etc.
it’s like all of a sudden, my veins bulge more so they are easier to cut off circulation to, as this has only occurred since I’ve been noticeably more vascular.
ONCE AGAIN, ANYONE?[/quote]

random muscle spasms happen to lots of people. my limbs go numb too. especially my arm. and my left leg will uncontrollably jerk when i lay down. dunno why just happens.

This is something you really should see your doctor about but what you’ve described could easily be symptoms of potassium or sodium imbalances, a low calcium intake, being dehydrated or a combination thereof.

Once again, internet diagnosis is not a good idea and your doctor should be made aware of your current state.

[quote]MsM wrote:
This is something you really should see your doctor about but what you’ve described could easily be symptoms of potassium or sodium imbalances, a low calcium intake, being dehydrated or a combination thereof.

Once again, internet diagnosis is not a good idea and your doctor should be made aware of your current state.[/quote]

I thought about that
and every time I go to the doctor I seem to forget

I’m not soo worried about the twitching
as I am about the whole limbs fallin asleep deal
that seems to happen fairly frequently, I think I might have high blood pressure
and even though at my age that’s not a big deal
b/c i’m 20 and not at risk of a stroke or heart attack

but having high blood pressure I think is what gives me a headache unlike any other after an intense workout

I pretty much blow it out of the water when this happens
but somebody said it might be blood sugar
said just get a protein shake like immediately after a w/o

my brother had high blood pressure when they took him to the doctor, he’s younger than me, 16 when this happened

the muscle twitching though… I’d have to side with sodium/potassium imbalance, seeing’s how that would explain just about everything nerve related

Have you been tested for diabetes? Just so that you know, just because you’re 20 does not mean that you can’t be a candidate for stroke or heart attack.

Your limbs, when they fall asleep, is it at night when you’re in bed?

[quote]I would just put my hand on it and feel it twitch, without my conscious effort. FUCKIN WEIRD
I know it has to be something to do with my nerves but does that mean it has to do with my sodium levels, wtf ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN?!?[/quote]

This used to happen to me. I had a bad myofascial pain syndrome. The arm numbness is probably scalene/pec minor/brachialis trigger points. The leg twitches are probably trigger points in your piriformis and quads. Just get “The trigger point therapy workbook” by Clair Davies.

[quote]caselorance wrote:
MsM wrote:
This is something you really should see your doctor about but what you’ve described could easily be symptoms of potassium or sodium imbalances, a low calcium intake, being dehydrated or a combination thereof.

Once again, internet diagnosis is not a good idea and your doctor should be made aware of your current state.

I thought about that
and every time I go to the doctor I seem to forget

I’m not soo worried about the twitching
as I am about the whole limbs fallin asleep deal
that seems to happen fairly frequently, I think I might have high blood pressure
and even though at my age that’s not a big deal
b/c i’m 20 and not at risk of a stroke or heart attack

but having high blood pressure I think is what gives me a headache unlike any other after an intense workout

I pretty much blow it out of the water when this happens
but somebody said it might be blood sugar
said just get a protein shake like immediately after a w/o

my brother had high blood pressure when they took him to the doctor, he’s younger than me, 16 when this happened

the muscle twitching though… I’d have to side with sodium/potassium imbalance, seeing’s how that would explain just about everything nerve related[/quote]

If you have high blood pressure, now, at 20, then it’s a BIGGER deal than having it later in life. It’s a big deal PERIOD. Having it now means that you have to get it under control ASAP, because it’s doing damage now, and it’s only going to get worse. See a doctor.

High blood pressure isn’t something to play around with.

I used to have insane muscle twitching. Also, at one point in my life I couldn’t get to sleep without jolting myself nearly clean out of bed, …you know, that thing that happens when you are just about to fall asleep and you jerk awake? Yeah, well it happened to me constantly, over and over for about six months straight.

Are you under an unusual amount of stress? I’m not talking about ‘like omg i waited in line for like 20 minutes at starbucks’ stress, I mean like…fight for your life kind of stress. Just wondering.

Sidenote:

As for the limbs falling asleep thing, I have this recurring dream that a pirate cuts off my hand then wake up to find it totally dead from sleeping on it. Once I screamed out loud ‘MY HAND IS FUCKING GONE!’ My sister barged into my room and slapped me in the face with my own hand to convince me it wasn’t gone …because just showing me wasn’t snapping me out of it, and she thought it would be awesome to slap me with my own hand. It was.

Wait a minute, isn’t it called the stranger when you do that? Check to see if you painted the finger nails during you sleep.
Sounds a little like restless leg syndrome. Second on the HTN issue. Can’t mess with high blood pressure as it’ll lead to countless complications later in life. As for diabetes, most initial cases result in hyperglycemia characterized by excessive hunger, extreme thirst, and massive urination >10L a day.
Going to the doctor is the best advise.