Alternate with

Monday: off
Tuesday: Legs & Shoulders
Wednesday: off
Thursday: Chest, Triceps & abs
Friday: Back & Biceps
Saturday: off
Sunday: Legs & Shoulders

Question is how many sets per exercise should I have so the muscle has fully recovered to be hit again? I know with increase frequency there is a decrease in overall volume. Would try and ask a single poster however, they might not know or have experience with it. Tried with Thib’s atricles with no success in providing info (unless I am blind).

I plan on hitting each body part with a minimum of 3 exercises with a max of 4.

This is very useful information , I really appreciate this it will really help the beginners to know how to get fit and lean muscles …

Not sure if you’ve read this : http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/blog_sports_training_performance_bodybuilding_alpha/bodypart_once_weekly

But it’s a very good topic that might help with your programming.

If you don’t understand how to write your own program, then don’t. Follow a proven program. If you want to hit each bodypart twice a week, search for the “do this routine instead of that dumb one” thread, there are examples in there.

I hit my muscles twice a week (except legs because of time and schedule constraints and also fuck legs). chest&back, shoulders&arms, legs, chest&back, shoulders&arms, rest, rest, repeat.

I can honestly say that I do not ever count how many sets I’m doing or care about that or think its relevant at all… but if I had to count them I suppose I do about 10 sets total for each muscle group, each workout (so 20 sets per muscle group every week).

3 exercises for every upper body muscle (flat bench, incline, db flyes, pullups, bb rows, tbar rows, seated military, side raise, rear raise, bb curl, db curl, reverse curl, cgbp, db french press, pushdowns, if I ever actually had time to train legs it would be squat, sldl, leg extension, leg curl, seated and standing calves but normally can’t because of PT and physical testing right now…)

It’s no problem at all and if I were gaining weight I would do more sets (not because the number of sets you do is magical or relevant, just because I would have more energy and would probably feel like going heavier) and maybe another exercise or two.

I personally feel that a higher frequency is preferable and I highly recommend it because it allows you to get good at the BASIC traditional bodybuilding exercises by doing them often which is where the real size is at IMO.

[quote]Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:
Question is how many sets per exercise should I have so the muscle has fully recovered to be hit again? [/quote]
This question has as many answers as posters.

Research what others have done but choose your own adventure.

Start low and work your way to higher total sets and reps.

*On a personal note I like to keep my total reps below a certain level as well as total sets per week. Going in 2 0r 3 times per week and doing 100 reps for any muscle group would be pointless, IMO.

When I originally jumped from once to twice a week I simple took the total sets and reps I was using and split it down the middle so I could do it over two days. The benefit of this is being able to use more weight since the muscle will be fresh for what would have been the second half of a session.

Hope that makes sense.

I’ve always like higher frequency training and have responded better to it as opposed to hitting groups once per week. With regard to how many sets per exerience etc; questions like that can only be answered by you. At first, you may have to do slightly fewer sets and total volume but will most likely adjust and can slowly add in more volume over time. Personally, I think a rotation between two programs is more complicated than it needs to be as well, but that’s my only real issue. In the past I’ve enjoyed:

Mon: chest/Back
Tues: bis/tris
Wed: shoulders/legs
Thu: chest/back
Fri: bis/tris
Sat: shoulders/legs
Sun: rest

Typically the biggest issue I’ve had with the above is my shoulders tend to get worked a bit more than I would like, but exercise selection can help minimize fatigue on certain heads of the delts.

Thanks glad this will bring so information to others.

No I have not read that thread. Thanks for posting it, I like anything MODOK has to say.

It really isn?t that hard to make a workout. There?s no special workout that will make you gain better than the rest. It really falls to the individual doing the workout in how well they utilize the reps, sets, exercise, and weight among other things. Those workouts are from a personal trainer (KingBeef) so how are they any different from workouts I create? Again, not rocket science.
p.s. Not dogging on the guy as I respect him as a poster and his FREE information he provides to others.

Thanks for your opinion, exactly what I was looking for. I was going to start off small doing about 3 sets per muscle group and assess from there. I am used to 4-5 or so but I?ll have a go with 3. Won?t hurt me to spend the first 2 weeks just feeling the new spilt and the increase in frequency.

I thought it was an open ended question but never done a 2 times frequency workout I just had to ask what other opinions were. Will take your experience with it into consideration.

That is what I am hoping for to respond better than the traditional once a week body part being it. I feel as if my recovery rate is fast compared to others along with my work capacity. I found my split online and would like to give it a go. I switched the shoulders and triceps around (to what they are now) as my shoulder wouldn?t get killed with doing chest. I put my opinion about the ?answered by you? in my response to mr popular
Thanks everyone who has commented.

It really falls to the individual doing the workout in how well they utilize the reps, sets, exercise, and weight among other things.

Then why did you make this thread?

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Fuzzyapple.Train wrote:

It really falls to the individual doing the workout in how well they utilize the reps, sets, exercise, and weight among other things.

Then why did you make this thread?[/quote]

Read the very first post and you’ll know.

Go to Kevin Levrone’s you tube channel and follow the vids from the first month -a very well laid out 3 way split.

Question is how many sets per exercise should I have so the muscle has fully recovered to be hit again? [/quote]

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

Question is how many sets per exercise should I have so the muscle has fully recovered to be hit again?[/quote]

I think every lifting program falls to the individual to know what is best for themselves.

Rigid programs are great, for beginners, but at some point you need to take what is useful and discard what didn’t work. Not to get too philosophical but by trying new programs as a noob you find things that work. Even if you think the program was a failure it still produced a result and you can learn from that.

I think the real question of the thread should have been, where do I “start” with my sets and reps when doing a twice per week split? Also, how have other people arranged their splits? Assuming you are not a rank beginner and that you would start there and tweak it as you went.

[quote]JLone wrote:

I think the real question of the thread should have been, where do I “start” with my sets and reps when doing a twice per week split? Also, how have other people arranged their splits? Assuming you are not a rank beginner and that you would start there and tweak it as you went. [/quote]

This I guess is what I was trying to say. Thanks.

I do a similar split, IMO its better to adjust to the twice a week split rather than adjust it to how you “think” it should be (decreased volume, etc.). Your body will adapt to the higher workload.

Did my first workout last night back, biceps

Great routine just what i been looking for. Hope it works