T Nation

Muscles One-Handed Push-Ups Work

I thought they where a good chest/triceps workout but then someone told me that they hardly work your chest at all and then somewhere else I read the exact opposite that they are great for your chest. whats the deal?

GWAR GWARRRRRRRRRR

Helpful as always, Zeus.

Pushups of any type are going to work all of your major and minor pushing muscles (chest, anterior delts,triceps, serratus) and also involve the abs, low back, legs (to a small degree), and upper back for stabilization.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Helpful as always, Zeus.

Pushups of any type are going to work all of your major and minor pushing muscles (chest, anterior delts,triceps, serratus) and also involve the abs, low back, legs (to a small degree), and upper back for stabilization.[/quote]

Um, have you ever done OH Push Ups yourself ?

The stress on the Pectoralis is so minimal that it can be ignored, its an Triceps/Deltoid movement.

Normal Pushups work the chest better but you’ve to add some sort of external resistance (e.g. a weighted vest)

[quote] Petrichor wrote:
The stress on the Pectoralis is so minimal that it can be ignored, its a Triceps/Deltoid movement. [/quote]
2nded.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
GWAR GWARRRRRRRRRR[/quote]

ahahaha.

[quote]Ham wrote:
I thought they where a good chest/triceps workout but then someone told me that they hardly work your chest at all and then somewhere else I read the exact opposite that they are great for your chest. whats the deal? [/quote]

Do 1x 1handed pushup. Now get 100lbs and do a 1handed db chest press.

They may not be the best chest exercise out there, but then again, neither is the bench and everyone benches.

The one arm pushup is a great overall exercise in my opinion. The strength needed to stabilize yourself is very great (try to make them look as much like a regular pushup as you can, don’t twist your body or spread your feet). I would say that it definitely works your core moreso than your triceps. I’ve known few people who could do them with great form, but many people who had the tricep strength to push themselves up.

I don’t do these when I’m going to the gym, but if I stop going for a period of time because I’ve been too busy, I normally will try to start doing these (along with some dips and pistols) to maintain my strength since it requires no equipment and only takes a few seconds.