Muscleman Facing Jail

A bodybuilder who claimed ?43,000 in disability benefits despite being fit enough to win a strongman contest is facing jail.

Strong man StentifordJon Stentiford, 35, insisted he had crippling back pain while secretly putting himself through a gruelling training schedule.

The ‘disabled’ man went on to dominate Cornwall’s Strongest Man contest in 2003.

Despite the publicity surrounding him, the father-of-two was able to continue claiming benefits because he had entered the competition under a false name.

Stentiford won the title and ?300 in prize-money after holding 50lb weights at arm’s length, carrying two gas bottles over an obstacle course and heaving a large truck along a road.

He even lifted a half-ton Mini Metro car off the ground for more than a minute.

But the swindle was exposed when Government investigators received an anonymous tip-off.

Stentiford, of St Neot, Cornwall, admitted four charges of falsely claiming benefits.

He is to appear at Truro Crown Court for sentencing today and could face a jail term, a judge said.

At an earlier hearing, the court heard 6ft 4in Stentiford started claiming disability benefits for sciatica in 2002.

The condition can cause intense pain in the lower back and legs.

Training through intense back pain and going on to win a strongman meet.
I say congratulations.

Just because he’s tougher than the average joe with the same condition, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t get the same money for having it.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
I say congratulations.

Just because he’s tougher than the average joe with the same condition, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t get the same money for having it.[/quote]

Please tell me that was sarcasim.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
I say congratulations.

Just because he’s tougher than the average joe with the same condition, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t get the same money for having it.[/quote]

It must be sarcasm.

…or he really thinks that this guy just sucked it up and trained through the pain.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
evansmi wrote:
I say congratulations.

Just because he’s tougher than the average joe with the same condition, doesn’t mean he shouldn’t get the same money for having it.

It must be sarcasm.

…or he really thinks that this guy just sucked it up and trained through the pain.[/quote]

In which case, he could suck it up and work for a living. By competing under an alias, he obviously knew he was doing something wrong.

I don’t think evan was being sarcastic, sadly.

DB

i ran track in high school despite shin splints and a back sciatica and i performed well for quite a long time despite the pain. i did eventually had to quit, but it is possible for people to be very active even with a back sciatica.

at least the fucker got paid some cash for his pain. i didn’t, so therefore, he should go to jail.

f

I see no injustice. I truly believe he deserved the payment of 43,000 question marks.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
I see no injustice. I truly believe he deserved the payment of 43,000 question marks.[/quote]

I agree. Hell, I paid myself 50,000 question marks two days ago for training with a headache.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
I see no injustice. I truly believe he deserved the payment of 43,000 question marks.[/quote]

im like convulsing right now from laughing. very creative…

You would think most idiots would know by now that there are people hired to make sure that the guy getting paid money for being “disabled” isn’t doing cartwheels on a daily basis at the local YMCA while putting on a neck brace to go to the grocery store.

What I don’t get is how those obese people that are too fat to walk simply because they won’t quit eating get away with it.

the whole social security program should be done away with

i dont know what is worse, this or fat lazy people with scooters getting the same money he was.

[quote]Defence counsel Robert Linford said, at a sentencing hearing today, that the claims started out as legitimate but became illegitimate due to a change in circumstances.

He said Stentiford had suffered a genuinely disabling back injury but, as a result of the exercise he took and advice, developed into a bigger and much stronger man.[/quote]

Wow. They unwittingly hype weight lifting as a positive.

Trivia Time!!!

Who can name the powerlifter who broke his spine during a heavy squat session, thought nothing of the pain, continued training for weeks with a broken spine, and then died from an infection caused by spinal fluid leakage?

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
evansmi wrote:
I say congratulations.

It must be sarcasm.

…or he really thinks that this guy just sucked it up and trained through the pain.[/quote]

then he should have sucked it up and worked too.

[quote]evansmi wrote:
Trivia Time!!!

Who can name the powerlifter who broke his spine during a heavy squat session, thought nothing of the pain, continued training for weeks with a broken spine, and then died from an infection caused by spinal fluid leakage?[/quote]

dave barno

[quote]evansmi wrote:
I say congratulations.

AWESOME!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
You would think most idiots would know by now that there are people hired to make sure that the guy getting paid money for being “disabled” isn’t doing cartwheels on a daily basis at the local YMCA while putting on a neck brace to go to the grocery store.

What I don’t get is how those obese people that are too fat to walk simply because they won’t quit eating get away with it.[/quote]

WORD!

[quote]evansmi wrote:
Trivia Time!!!

Who can name the powerlifter who broke his spine during a heavy squat session, thought nothing of the pain, continued training for weeks with a broken spine, and then died from an infection caused by spinal fluid leakage?[/quote]

That’s Hardcore

[quote]belligerent wrote:
the whole social security program should be done away with[/quote]

i agree.