T Nation

'Muscle Women'-MSNBC

Beautiful Colette Nelson & Kristy Hawkins (IFBB-Pro) are featured, other pros from Ms.International contest seen, as well as following non-pro womens regime, other famous faces from the bodybuilding world throughout, along with the expected psychobabble. As “documentaries” go, it could have been worse, but still lacking, going for the sensational (and of course AAS)…No mention by MSNBC when this will be rebroadcast. Link to stills here:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26096917/

Colette Nelson is fucking gross. theres nothing feminine about being on so much artificial MALE hormone that you start to look like a guy. i definately like the figure competitors who are FIGURE competitors not female bodybuilders.

�??Hooked: Muscle women,�?? puts female bodybuilders on the psychiatrist’s couch (figuratively speaking) to get to the core of why they push their bodies to the limit. Many of these women are trying to overcome or overcompensate for something in their past, such as abuse or eating disorders. And “control” means obsessing over what they eat and manipulating furious exercise routines, sometimes on a daily basis.

Hooray, by generalization standards, all women bodybuilders are compensating for a horrible past =\

Hey, Blacksnake, I saw this last night. Way too much psychobabble, especially about women’s eating disorders and body dysmorphic disorders. And you’re right about the standard media crap, but even if this broadcast can open a few minds of the general public, to the hard work and dedication it takes for a woman to reach her goal, then that’s all I can expect from a mainstream production.

I’m getting tired of hearing “freaks” and “Ewwwwwwwww, nasty”. Regardless of personal opinion, a little tolerance and apperciation for her effort go a long way towards understanding.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Hey, Blacksnake, I saw this last night. Way too much psychobabble, especially about women’s eating disorders and body dysmorphic disorders. And you’re right about the standard media crap, but even if this broadcast can open a few minds of the general public, to the hard work and dedication it takes for a woman to reach her goal, then that’s all I can expect from a mainstream production.

I’m getting tired of hearing “freaks” and “Ewwwwwwwww, nasty”. Regardless of personal opinion, a little tolerance and apperciation for her effort go a long way towards understanding.[/quote]

Agreed.

You may not like their appearance, but I think women have to work many times harder to get the conditioning, and muscle that men do. I give them alot of credit.

It takes balls for a woman to get muscular, because society tends to make negative judgements on something that’s considered a masculine activity.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Colette Nelson is fucking gross. theres nothing feminine about being on so much artificial MALE hormone that you start to look like a guy. i definately like the figure competitors who are FIGURE competitors not female bodybuilders.[/quote]

Seriously!?!? Just because their look doesn’t appeal to you is no cause to describe them as “gross”. You have just demonstrated what is wrong with 90% of the general population in regards to bodybuilding in general.

[quote]Qaash wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Colette Nelson is fucking gross. theres nothing feminine about being on so much artificial MALE hormone that you start to look like a guy. i definately like the figure competitors who are FIGURE competitors not female bodybuilders.

Seriously!?!? Just because their look doesn’t appeal to you is no cause to describe them as “gross”. You have just demonstrated what is wrong with 90% of the general population in regards to bodybuilding in general.[/quote]

I often wonder why people, male and female, who post here at T-Nation, a “hardcore” bodybuilding site, can possibly harbor opinions like Live…781?

[quote]Qaash wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

Seriously!?!? Just because their look doesn’t appeal to you is no cause to describe them as “gross”. You have just demonstrated what is wrong with 90% of the general population in regards to bodybuilding in general.[/quote]

Only 90%?

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Qaash wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

Seriously!?!? Just because their look doesn’t appeal to you is no cause to describe them as “gross”. You have just demonstrated what is wrong with 90% of the general population in regards to bodybuilding in general.

I often wonder why people, male and female, who post here at T-Nation, a “hardcore” bodybuilding site, can possibly harbor opinions like Live…781?

[/quote]

The guy thinks 30 years old equals “middle aged”. I wouldn’t put too much stock in his opinion.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:

I’m getting tired of hearing “freaks” and “Ewwwwwwwww, nasty”. Regardless of personal opinion, a little tolerance and apperciation for her effort go a long way towards understanding.[/quote]

I really want to know…how many minds do you think were “opened” by that show?

[quote]Professor X wrote:

I really want to know…how many minds do you think were “opened” by that show?[/quote]

One is enough.

I don’t expect people’s opinions to change. All I hope is that perhaps a few neurons start firing, and one or two thought processes take place.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Professor X wrote:

One is enough.

I don’t expect people’s opinions to change. All I hope is that perhaps a few neurons start firing, and one or two thought processes take place.

[/quote]

I think things like this do more damage than good. Their intention was not to promote bodybuilding as respectable or even rewarding. They were going for the freak factor to get more ratings. There will be even more people walking around with “anti-bodybuilding ammo” now that this aired throwing out comments just like the one you hated from Live…whateverthefuck.

Yo Momma wrote:
Professor X wrote:

One is enough.

I think things like this do more damage than good. Their intention was not to promote bodybuilding as respectable or even rewarding. They were going for the freak factor to get more ratings. There will be even more people walking around with “anti-bodybuilding ammo” now that this aired throwing out comments just like the one you hated from Live…whateverthefuck.[/quote]

Maybe you’re right. Perhaps people will just gloss over the fact that Kristy Hawkins, in addition to being an IFBB pro, is currently working towards her Ph.D. in chemical engineering at Caltech (after getting her Master’s in 2005, also from Cal Tech). This was mentioned in the program, although not emphasized. You would think that being a scholar at one of the top 3 engineering graduate schools in the world would negate the “freak factor” and psychocrap they were pushing. Was I the only person that heard that fact?

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
Professor X wrote:

One is enough.

I think things like this do more damage than good. Their intention was not to promote bodybuilding as respectable or even rewarding. They were going for the freak factor to get more ratings. There will be even more people walking around with “anti-bodybuilding ammo” now that this aired throwing out comments just like the one you hated from Live…whateverthefuck.

Maybe you’re right. Perhaps people will just gloss over the fact that Kristy Hawkins, in addition to being an IFBB pro, is currently working towards her Ph.D. in chemical engineering at Caltech (after getting her Master’s in 2005, also from Cal Tech). This was mentioned in the program, although not emphasized. You would think that being a scholar at one of the top 3 engineering graduate schools in the world would negate the “freak factor” and psychocrap they were pushing. Was I the only person that heard that fact?

[/quote]

I didn’t watch it, but you can see the mentality of most on this site alone. The average “well read newbie” who logs on assumes that everyone here is just a meathead with no real education.

It comes as a shock to them that there are several professionals on this board in many different fields and even then they act as if it just can’t be true…so yeah, I could see most ignoring that completely as they laughed at the screen and yelled out, “eewwwww!!”.

Aren’t you a professor at a University?

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Qaash wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:

[/quote]

“hardcore bodybuilding site” ?

HAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAAHAHAHAHAAA

wait,

wait:

AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!

Seriously mommy, I want some of what you’re taking…

You’re about 4 or 5 years late, if not more.

On a more serious note (well, I was only half to three quarters serious before): He’s just a child, never mind him…

:wink:

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Yo Momma wrote:
Professor X wrote:

One is enough.

[/quote]

The word “chemical” will only be interpreted as: She wants to learn how to mix better steroid-concoctions.

That’s what the couch potatoes are going to think, believe you me…

This is slightly off topic, but I wonder if female bodybuilders are on the shortlist of people that always get asked to help with moving too.

[quote]etaco wrote:
This is slightly off topic, but I wonder if female bodybuilders are on the shortlist of people that always get asked to help with moving too.[/quote]

Everyone knows that bodybuilders are weak, and have no functional strength.

But women PL’ers can lift and carry a sofa up a spiral staircase. When the moving’s done, they carry the keg from the truck to wherever the drinking’s gonna take place.

Aren’t you a professor at a University?
[/quote]

Adjunct faculty.

No benefits, lousy pay, but I can use the University gym, which makes up for a life of genteel poverty.

I doubt it etaco, a male’s ego is probably too inflated to ask a woman (who is clearly stronger) for help.