T Nation

Muscle Twitching

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but… I’m over 35 so I figure it works…

Yesterday, I was working out doing pull-ups and chin-ups. I had a real good pump going in my forearms…

To offset the pulling movements, I did a few set of Military Press.

However, as I lowered the bar, I felt the muscles in my forearms twitching, like they were overlapping and getting in each other’s way. It’s not that the weight was too much, it was the movement itself.

I was wondering if this happens to others and is it dangerous?

Should I just work through it or should I do the presses before my forearms get too pumped up? It didn’t really hurt, just feels weird.

Thanks in advance,

John

hey,

the twiching is normal for any muscle when it gets tired from overload. But just to be sure u should make an appointment with your doctor and have it checked out

[quote]ballbuster wrote:
hey,

the twiching is normal for any muscle when it gets tired from overload. But just to be sure u should make an appointment with your doctor and have it checked out[/quote]

It’s no wonder health care costs are so high. Try doing the presses first next time and see if you still get the twitching. If not, then there’s nothing physically wrong with you. My thinking is that if there’s no pain or physical discomfort, there’s no need to see a dr. (This relates only to physical activity mind you, not other medical conditions like blood in urine, et al.) I get twitching all the time in various muscles, especially after a strenuous workout with a new motion/exercise. That’s my advice, take it or leave it.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
ballbuster wrote:
hey,

the twiching is normal for any muscle when it gets tired from overload. But just to be sure u should make an appointment with your doctor and have it checked out

It’s no wonder health care costs are so high. Try doing the presses first next time and see if you still get the twitching. If not, then there’s nothing physically wrong with you. My thinking is that if there’s no pain or physical discomfort, there’s no need to see a dr. (This relates only to physical activity mind you, not other medical conditions like blood in urine, et al.) I get twitching all the time in various muscles, especially after a strenuous workout with a new motion/exercise. That’s my advice, take it or leave it.

DB [/quote]

I agree with what u are saying, it is sometimes best for your body as well as your mind to get a professional opinion

Before you go running off to your doctor try doing two things:

1. Drink more water. I don’t know how much you drink right now but add to it.

2. Take 400mg of magnesium a couple hours before you train.

If you are still twitching after trying this for a week then go to a doctor.

(Hey you can go now if you are losing sleep over it…don’t let me stop you)

Thanks to all for your suggestions…

ZEB - Funny you should reply… I was actually using your Pull-Up/Chin-up routine that I found elsewhere in the forum… So I 'm holding you primarily responsible for this… haha J/K…

I was plenty hydrated, that’s for sure. I had just finished my last set of Chin-ups and so I started the presses… I’ve noticed this in the past (occasionally) and although I don’t think it requires a doctors attention, I may ask about it during my next physical.

I’ll also try your magnesium suggestion.

Like I said, it doesn’t hurt, but it feels like th muscles overlap each other and then ‘pop’ back into place during the movement.

I was just wondering if other’s had the same thing happpen sometimes.

Thanks again,

john

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
ballbuster wrote:
hey,

DB [/quote]

C’mon you know this dude with an issue like this who probably has insurance is not driving up costs.

It’s all the welfare, medicare population aging and illegals. Well especially here in CAL. We have about 23% of nations welfare output but only 12% of the nations population…go figure.

Do you have any way of getting to someone who does soft tissue work, like a massage therapist or someone who does Active Release? If it feels like muscles are actually getting stuck, and you’ve been doing phsical activity for quite some time, they actually might be a little stuck together. When the body recovers from a workout, it doesn’t always rebuild things perfectly.

Anyway, you may want to give it a try - I’m only 22 but have had that same feeling. A lot of stretching and some massage cleared it right up.

-Dan

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
Do you have any way of getting to someone who does soft tissue work, like a massage therapist or someone who does Active Release? If it feels like muscles are actually getting stuck, and you’ve been doing phsical activity for quite some time, they actually might be a little stuck together. When the body recovers from a workout, it doesn’t always rebuild things perfectly.

Anyway, you may want to give it a try - I’m only 22 but have had that same feeling. A lot of stretching and some massage cleared it right up.

-Dan[/quote]

Dan,

As simple as your suggestion is (massage) I hadn’t tried it. I’ll try it next time it happens.

Thanks.

John

[quote]ruluckie wrote:
Thanks to all for your suggestions…

ZEB - Funny you should reply… I was actually using your Pull-Up/Chin-up routine that I found elsewhere in the forum… So I 'm holding you primarily responsible for this… haha J/K…

Thanks again,

john[/quote]

How many Chins are you up to?

[quote]ZEB wrote:

How many Chins are you up to?

[/quote]

ZEB,

I just started your program this past Wed… My goal is 20 straight in 4-5 weeks…

However,right now I do three sets of Pull-ups (7 reps) and 3 sets of Chins (6 reps) (I couldn’t get 7…) My max is 10/8.

I find the Pull-Ups easier but that’s because I haven’t focused on Chins…

I tell you though, I get a big pump from these two exercises, especially if I do 6 sets…

Did you ever get a Push-up program together/posted? I was thinking about doing Pullups/Chins on M-W-F and a similar program with Pushups/Dips on T-TH (and maybe Sat)…

That MIGHT be too much… Having said that, I did 5 sets of 17 pushups/5 sets of 10 dips yesterday and I’m looking forward to the Pull-ups/Chins after work tonight… so we’ll see.

I still am trying to work in a few sets of DL and Squats somewhere… :slight_smile:

John

[quote]Rockscar wrote:

C’mon you know this dude with an issue like this who probably has insurance is not driving up costs.

It’s all the welfare, medicare population aging and illegals. Well especially here in CAL. We have about 23% of nations welfare output but only 12% of the nations population…go figure. [/quote]

I won’t get into an economics debate on the topic, but frivolous doctor visits (not saying his condition is definitely frivolous) do indeed drive up the cost of healthcare for everyone, whether insured or not, it’s a proven fact. It’s one reason my health insurance rates go up every year. People are outspending their insurance coverage. But he’s in Italy and they have socialized medicine, so its moot.

DB