T Nation

Muscle Tears from Steroids?

Has anyone experience a muscle tear from doing a large number of increased sets\reps, but not load. I understand that Anadrol-50 can cause muscle tears via allowing the muscle to become insanely strong, but does the number of times the weight is moved affect it? I am not talking 1-3 reps, but more so in the range of 5-8. Experience stories are very welcome :].

[quote]Thewannabe wrote:
Has anyone experience a muscle tear from doing a large number of increased sets\reps, but not load. I understand that Anadrol-50 can cause muscle tears via allowing the muscle to become insanely strong, but does the number of times the weight is moved affect it? I am not talking 1-3 reps, but more so in the range of 5-8. Experience stories are very welcome :].[/quote]

           Hmmm....How bout "common sense".

 You are overanalyzing this shit in my opinion.

Just keep yourself in control. You know how much you use for loads now, so when on, go up as your body allows, but keep yourself from going an obvious ridiculous amount of weight over your norm. Just the same increase reps/sets, but don’t get stupid with it. You have to remember it’s more likely you will fuck up your joints/tendons before tearing your muscle. If you don’t keep a handle on it this will happen sure as shit.

                  just my opinion.

What your thinking of is the injury to tendons. The reasoning is your tendons don’t hypertrophy or strengthen as fast as your muscles which are growing disproportionately to your tendons. Basically your tendons are not ready to support the load your muscles can handle. This is for the most part pretty avoidable with intelligent lifting. But I sincerely doubt this will be the case after a 3 week anadrol cycle.

I will agree that tendons and ligaments are much more at risk since the load being handled is growing faster than they can respond to. However, I had an experience 2 years ago tearing a hamstring nearly off the bone. It was done doing 225 lunges and in the middle of a bulking cycle. The injury took a very long time to recover from. I am NOT saying that this wouldn’t have happened to someone who was not using AAS but I think that with quick increases in loads the entire muscular system is stressed. Again, the tendons and ligaments will be more at risk but muscular injuries are not out of the question.

[quote]2thepain wrote:
I will agree that tendons and ligaments are much more at risk since the load being handled is growing faster than they can respond to. However, I had an experience 2 years ago tearing a hamstring nearly off the bone. It was done doing 225 lunges and in the middle of a bulking cycle. The injury took a very long time to recover from. I am NOT saying that this wouldn’t have happened to someone who was not using AAS but I think that with quick increases in loads the entire muscular system is stressed. Again, the tendons and ligaments will be more at risk but muscular injuries are not out of the question.[/quote]

Holy crap ouch! I guess you needed surgery? How long were you out for, 2thepain?

As legit as the tendon ligament concerns are proper training can go a long way to reduce or eliminate the risk. As you may know I powerlift. Every week I’m handling loads over 90% of my 1RM. That type of training on or off gear greatly trains and strengths the tendons and ligaments. Knock on wood but after a handful of cycles nay an injury to report.

So what you are saying, is that I could train at singles of my 90-100% RM? That is of course, if I wanted to. I may do some strength training, but I am mainly concerned with size.

[quote]Cortes wrote:
2thepain wrote:
I will agree that tendons and ligaments are much more at risk since the load being handled is growing faster than they can respond to. However, I had an experience 2 years ago tearing a hamstring nearly off the bone. It was done doing 225 lunges and in the middle of a bulking cycle. The injury took a very long time to recover from. I am NOT saying that this wouldn’t have happened to someone who was not using AAS but I think that with quick increases in loads the entire muscular system is stressed. Again, the tendons and ligaments will be more at risk but muscular injuries are not out of the question.

Holy crap ouch! I guess you needed surgery? How long were you out for, 2thepain?[/quote]

I couldn’t even do a bodyweight squat for 4 months, 5 months at proper ROM. To say it was a setback was an understatement. I have since begun to use a 15 min dynamic warmup designed by the strength coach at the local college. It kept major injuries at bay and also does wonders for my flexability and joints during my workout.

[quote]Thewannabe wrote:
So what you are saying, is that I could train at singles of my 90-100% RM? That is of course, if I wanted to. I may do some strength training, but I am mainly concerned with size.[/quote]

Yes sort of.

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/tnation_strength_and_size_roundtable_part_1&cr=

Read this. In particular Dave Tate’s words. There is a second and third edition too. Size and strength are not mutually exclusive. Training for strength will always get you some size.

Forget not that all the variations of the Westside Template call for half your workouts to have one exercise where you do 90%+ the rest can be lighter weight and you can do assistance work in the classic 8-12rep range if you desire.