T Nation

muscle tear recovery

ok, since i injured my forearm (diagnosed a muscle tear), i haven't been able to do any real gym work, only 2x a week just doing legs/abs on some crappy machines.

i was considering giving my body a break from all of the massive eating i do (im not doing much cardio and gym work so i considered dieting down a little). but i was thinking, wouldn't that slow down the recovery process tremendously of this tear?

should i go back to massive eating even though im not getting much exercise in? will that help speed up the recovery process with this torn muscle?

any comments and suggestions would be helpful

peace

I'm in the same boat. Tore my pec a few months ago. Rehab is a pain. Anyway, i would go for maintainance cals, or a little over. If you tried to cut now, you'd lose a lot of lean mass, in addition to not healing properly due to lack of fuel and nutrients to rebuild with. Just my 2 cents worth.

iamnobody (and ransomed), it's not a good idea to diet when trying to recover from an injury. Bulking isn't a good idea, either, if you can't work out the way you should.

Switch to maintenance calories, with an emphasis on green veggies, fruit, oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes and quality meat sources. If your body is making repairs, you need to be taking in sufficient calories and quality food so that the body can make those repairs.

Add in some Wobenzyme. It's a proteolytic enzyme complex that will help with protein turnover of damaged protein structures. Take it at higher than the recommended dosage on the bottle for the first two weeks at least. A good multi-vitamin is also in order.

You can pick back up with Massive Eating when your body has healed and you kick things back into gear.

Good luck to both of you. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.