T Nation

Muscle Soreness

Hey all, Not sure is this is the correct subforum but will ask anyway.

I’m 45 and been lifting since I was 18. About 5 years ago I noticed me always tired and not making any results no matter how hard I worked out. Also, if I worked out hard I’d be super sore for days (not the good workout sore), even to just touch the muscle, and exhausted as well.

Last May I hit up Defy Medical and they ran all the labs and and found my T way low, SHBG way high, Low E2 etc. So they put me on 200mg of Test-c a week and within a few weeks I had lots of energy and was able to workout again like I was in my early 20’s. I was lifting more and not getting sore at all like I did before. I gained 25lbs (went from 172-197 at 6’1") It was great. Fast forward to now and those non-soreness slowly went away to now when I lift just like I did 3 months ago, I’m super sore and feeling the exhaustion again. My labs all have been pretty stable. What would cause that? Is that normal for everyone else? I don’t mind the good sore to remind me I worked out good, but this is sore for days. My diet is pretty good too where I eat about 85% healthy…fish, veggies, eggs, bananas, etc.

Any ideas? Why would soreness go away completely and then come back when not much has changed? Thanks.

Really simple… you have a 45 year old body. Just because you might have the T level of a younger man doesn’t imply the the rest of you is also. Sounds like your overreaching with your newfound feel of vitality. Evaluate what your doing in the gym and cut back on either volume…intensity or frequency . I assume you have increased all of these things since you started treatment to a certain extent?

That’s the thing, I don’t think I really am. I do 4 sets of 4 exercises for chest. Not even to failure. And I’ll be sore for 2-3 days. Other muscles won’t get sore at all, like biceps. I can’t figure it out. I just really enjoyed the first few months on T when I wasn’t sore.