Muscle Recovery Complex for Strength and Power

Muscle recovery workouts can be HIGH intensity. Note, prior to the workout there is a foam rolling and dynamic warmup complex. This barbell & dumbell workout is primarily designed for the hip & shoulder complex. Within the circuit are corrective exercises to promote hip mobility, scapular stability and core strength. The sumo deadlifts assist in developing pulling strength that can be transfered to power exercises. Unilateral movements such as the 1 arm hang clean addresses muscle imbalances, core stability and overall strength. The half kneeling positition stretches muscles while exercising the upper torso. Lastly, learning how to execute rotary exercises that require triple extension develops muscle eccentrically when done slowly. This workout is 4-6 reps with 4 sets, no more than 2 minute rest between sets. It is a time efficient, high intensity recovery workout!

This is a non-traditional workout…hope the video loads.

i must say this one catches my interest. I am looking at program variation soon and I have wanted to try something other than the standard moves I have done for years. My issue is the sumos, I have an old hamstring injury and have successfully got close to preinjury numbers with conventional, but fear I am asking for trouble with sumo. Might i improvise?

How does the word recovery fit into how this routine works?

How many times a week is this routine? I am thinking of starting it Sunday or tomorrow, as i will get back to bag work Monday.

Hello Deadkong,

I do this workout or a variation at least 1 once per week ( I generally have 2 recovery workouts- one hip dominant and one knee dominant).

Regarding the having a hamstring pull it’s important to foam roll adductors (inner thighs) and incorporate lateral movement hip movements- such as lateral bodyweight squats- focus on form and slowly you can begin to lengthen and strengthen the inner thighs and hamstrings. Resistance/weights would soon follow but only at slow progressive tempo.

Hope this helps and let me know if I can be of further assitance.

Julio

Oh, thanks, sorry, I hadn’t already noticed your post until now. After taking a bit of time off much training until the last few days I hadn’t actually cracked into it. I got busy with work, it wasn’t a bad time to take time off anyway, and in the middle of it I was sick for a day or so.

on my journal thread in this forum I have my recent take on routine, I am incorporating fight training together with lifting and hope they complement each other. So, with everything else I am thinking of doing the complex once per week, normally Sunday, i just didn’t last time, so first shot was yesterday. I made a video of one superset, I apologize for my micro fleece longs as I detailed there. I am amazed how pooped I was just with one set, I expect at least 2 next time, what the heck, it is just coming back from several weeks off.

Question though. Might I set up a separate dumbbell for something actually challenging for front squats? I notice you use only one and wonder if a separate weight might be used, or should I think that after a first set of exertion after deadlifts again I will be well served as it is?

Edit: Please and thanks in advance.

oh, and i realize i haven’t spoken to your post. My hamstring is now close to preinjury form in terms of capability, it just occasionally reminds me it exists, but I have learned how to judge the signs it gives me. All rehabilitation experts I have seen agree something like sumos is not appropriate. but then, they all said with previous routines that squats and deadlifts should not be on the same day and last spring i was doing it anyway, cautiously, and did fine, so I ponder. i made sure I warmed up thoroughly before I hit working weight with deadlifts, like I always do.

Good day,

Sorry for the lateness of my reply…between the holidays, training and other projects time goes by really fast. Did you post a video? I could not see it in the thread.

Safety is priority and one of my mantras is “train smarter”. Can you do a warm up in all anatomical planes? With a past injury such as yours, the body will have created a significant amount of muscle imbalances or compensation in the hips. You probably notice one leg stronger than the other.

I would be doing a disservice if I did not mention the following… glute activation -bridges (especially single leg bridge such as a cook bridge up),single leg hip hinges/deadlifts, single squats, lots of hip abduction exercises for glute medius, external oblique exercises, open chain exercises such as “step downs”. if you incorporated just a few times per week 2-3 of these exercises in your routine your strength, recruitment of muscle fibers, joint stability/mobility and more importantly muscle extensibility will slowy improve. The sumo are not necessary in achieving your goals…I would not like to see you get side lined for doing an unnecessary movement.

The single arm clean and front squat is specifically to load the torso on one side. It is very difficult to get a full range squat and compensate- the weight is revelant the ROM is the important- must be able to ride the weight down to a full squat and then drive thru heels and stand up to full stance for a full range.

I am all about intensity and hope you can see that taking the time to relearning specific movements is worth the time and investment -especially if this is a lifestyle for you.

Julio